Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving Virgin Hub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Phoned virgin every day for a month to report fault and they still haven’t fixed it

Old 20-04-2021, 00:34   #1
N00N00
cf.addict

N00N00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Phoned virgin every day for a month to report fault and they still haven’t fixed it

Hi,

I have an issue where my internet fails completely three times a day and it has done so since late March. The only fix is to unplug the Superhub and wait for it to reset. I am now close to having done this 100 times and it’s driving me mad.

A virgin engineer came out to add an attenuator but that didn’t solve it. A second engineer installed a new Superhub but again there’s no improvement.

I currently spend an hour every day resetting my hub or on the phone to Virgin Media in India talking to someone who has no idea what they’re doing and fobbing me off telling me they’re running “tests” or charging some server settings - I mean how many times can they change them? And of course I have to wait for engineers to show up (and they haven’t even arrived at the promised time period). Plus the new Superhub meant I had to spend ages reconnecting every device to it with the new WiFi info and password. Tonight was the last straw when the representative hung up the phone so he could go home instead of taking my call - I then called back only to end up on an infinite hold.

I did not apply to work for Virgin Media but adding up all the hours I’ve now completed a full week’s shift for the company. And of course they haven’t refunded a penny for loss of service let alone paid compensation. It’s just ridiculous. Each Superhub failure takes down my security cameras so this is putting my safety at risk too.

I’m also partially disabled so it’s an awful lot of effort to be doing all this work and being honest it is damaging my health quite a bit now. I’m lucky enough to have some parts of the day where my illness isn’t as debilitating, but I’m now wasting much of this very precious time/health dealing with Virgin Media. Medically, I’m required to rest and to avoid as stress as much as possible, and instead I’m now doing the exact opposite of that every single day. And of course as someone who is half housebound, the internet is completely essential to me, but instead it constantly fails.

I’ll probably call OFCOM tomorrow and I’m basically at the point where they don’t seem able to provide a service anymore so I will probably have to change to another provider but I really don’t want the stress or upheaval if that.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by N00N00; 20-04-2021 at 00:59.
N00N00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2021, 01:09   #2
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Phoned virgin every day for a month to report fault and they still haven’t fixed

Does the internet drop out at about the same time every day?

There's a few cases on the net where strange and 'unfixable' drop outs were eventually traced to weird things . . like spurious emissions from faulty TV sets a few houses away, maybe a dodgy central heating timer, that sort of stuff.

If it is dropping at the same time, I'd push for an engineer visit for that time frame (explain why when/if you get through).

Do you have a 3rd party router? If so try taking it out of the loop and see if a direct connection from the Virgin hub stops the drop outs?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 01:11   #3
N00N00
cf.addict

Re: Phoned virgin every day for a month to report fault and they still haven’t fixed

No third party router, nor does it appear to occur at the same time (but I will log the times from now onwards). I mean technically they have a log from all the phone calls but I don’t suppose they’d bother to use it. They couldn’t even look on the system to see what work the engineer did and I have to explain it over and over and over every single day. It honestly feels like I work for the company at this point.

It’s sometimes dropped out at 1am so I don’t suppose they’ll be sending the engineer at that time of day, but I suppose there might be one available?

Should I request a Superhub 4 or are those quite poor also?

Last edited by N00N00; 20-04-2021 at 01:18.
Old 20-04-2021, 01:14   #4
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Set up a BQM https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...quality/create and it will give you a good idea of when the problems occur.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 01:28   #5
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Actually I'm on (up to)100mb too, and sometimes I get random drop outs (for a couple of years now)
I have a 3rd party router though, and simply log into the router menu and reboot it.
I've always assumed it was the router causing the issue, now you've got me thinking otherwise, probably the same hub? (no idea what, it's a black thing with blue lights on the front)
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 03:14   #6
N00N00
cf.addict

No, mine is a Superhub 3 - a white light at the bottom, no blue lights.

---------- Post added at 02:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Set up a BQM https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...quality/create and it will give you a good idea of when the problems occur.
Thanks for the tip! Done.