Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Poor quality of SD channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Poor quality of SD channels

Old 16-04-2021, 19:12   #16
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Poor quality of SD channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
But they would only be in SD...

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2021, 19:44   #17
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
But they would only be in SD...
They could still look better than the SD channels, depending on the bit-rate
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 00:14   #18
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

There are gamers that prefer CRTs for retro gaming as CRT representation of the video output makes the pixels look nicer. The same games rereleased for new machines show the exact pixels and due to the preciseness of modern technology they look blockier, so many gamers prefer their old screens for those games. Such is the feeling that a range of CRT filters are often added to the rereleases these days to emulate the CRT look.

As it happens I've seen a HD channel downscaled on a CRT and it looked better than the SD channel via the same box and cable. Obviously it wasn't HD being output on screen, but there was a difference between SD and HD channels.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 04:23   #19
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Hmmmm I always have watched and loved SD..... I dont loike HD,its too wide.........

I did watch some HD channels on an SD TV one time and they looked good (Too wide on those sets though)
Many SD channels are now also widescreen. They only tend to revert to 4:3 ratio when showing older content.

16:9 is the go to default for most programming now as all modern TVs are wodescreen too. Even some SD CRT tvs were widescreen towards the end of their lives..

There are some new shows that prefer the full widescreen ratio adopted by many movies of 2:35:1 this format is so wide you still get black clack at the top and bottom on a standard 16:9 TV.
Old 17-04-2021, 09:50   #20
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Many SD channels are now also widescreen.
Not in the US, where Dude is.
Old 17-04-2021, 18:40   #21
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
You knowing that worries me
Old 17-04-2021, 19:49   #22
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
Actually I think thats all cable companies offer here I think,just HD ...... (They assume everyone wants that and when someone like ME comes along,they dont know how to react)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 20:40   #23
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
You knowing that worries me
Which bit? Knowing that Dude is in the US, or knowing that the US doesn't have widescreen SD?

Actually Dude, just curious, but whereabouts in the US are you?
Old 17-04-2021, 21:46   #24
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Which bit? Knowing that Dude is in the US, or knowing that the US doesn't have widescreen SD?

Actually Dude, just curious, but whereabouts in the US are you?
He is in usa
Old 18-04-2021, 04:26   #25
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Im not far from Chicago
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 16:47   #26
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Question Re: Poor quality of SD channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im not far from Chicago
Got as far as Buffalo when one the one occasion l went north. And that's back in the early 70,s . On trip to see then girl! friend in Binghamton
Old 25-04-2021, 20:38   #27
Darwish
cf.member

Darwish is an unknown quantity at this point

SD does look grim, for me I think it's the compression artefacts rather than the resolution.

Most SD channels seem to average about 1.6Mb/s with MPEG4 compression and that's squeezing things just a bit too tight for my liking.

Still, most SD viewing is Sky News as I'm too cheapskate to pay for the package with HD. Would be good if they threw in Sky News HD to those on the lowest package but I suppose they want to encourage people to move up!
Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 21:16   #28
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwish View Post
SD does look grim, for me I think it's the compression artefacts rather than the resolution.

Most SD channels seem to average about 1.6Mb/s with MPEG4 compression and that's squeezing things just a bit too tight for my liking.

Still, most SD viewing is Sky News as I'm too cheapskate to pay for the package with HD. Would be good if they threw in Sky News HD to those on the lowest package but I suppose they want to encourage people to move up!
Honestly l can't claim that it bothers me if it's sd or hd
Perhaps it's the standard of tv ( 42" uhd lg ) or just my eyes yes there is a difference but does it both me no
Old 26-04-2021, 16:32   #29
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Honestly l can't claim that it bothers me if it's sd or hd
Perhaps it's the standard of tv ( 42" uhd lg ) or just my eyes yes there is a difference but does it both me no
You'll see the biggest difference when watching sport mate.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 18:10   #30
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You'll see the biggest difference when watching sport mate.
Only watch rugby . And no l don't , guess premier sports and s4c are not
that good to start off with