Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Prince Philip has Died R.I.P

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Prince Philip has Died R.I.P

Old 13-04-2021, 09:15   #76
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Prince Philip has Died R.I.P

BBC stands for British Broadcasting Corporation. It's their job to FULLY cover major events. The British public need to remember this.
Old 13-04-2021, 09:22   #77
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
BBC stands for British Broadcasting Corporation. It's their job to FULLY cover major events. The British public need to remember this.
And to get a grip.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:37   #78
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
How much more wrong could you be? The BBC’s duty is to properly balance news matters within their schedules. For you to lecture the British Public in the way that you have reflects the BBC’s arrogance.

The 110,000 complaints is a weathervane for public opinion.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 09:46   #79
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
How does showing the same content on four channels and turning off a fifth serve the British public?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:02   #80
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
How does showing the same content on four channels and turning off a fifth serve the British public?
100%

It's the stuff of tinpot dictatorships.

Saying it's the British Broadcasting Corporation as a justification for that level of sycophantic nationalism we would mock the North Koreans for is no justification at all.

BBC1 or 2, simulcast on BBC News would be reasonable.

Canning usual BBC 4 coverage in favour of historical documentaries relevant to his life, but at the same time offering alternative programming to BBC 1, I'd maybe consider reasonable too. There was no justification for a blank screen.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:07   #81
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

My wife was annoyed because 'Corrie' was cancelled, she made up for it by spending the next hour or so complaining on farcebook, along with the other sheep in the flock.

Meanwhile in the 'real world', my 376 population village in 'Banished' is progressing nicely, I'm halfway towards the 3rd Boss in 'Valheim', and onto book five in the 'Dresden Files' series.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:13   #82
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
My wife was annoyed because 'Corrie' was cancelled, she made up for it by spending the next hour or so complaining on farcebook, along with the other sheep in the flock.

Meanwhile in the 'real world', my 376 population village in 'Banished' is progressing nicely, I'm halfway towards the 3rd Boss in 'Valheim', and onto book five in the 'Dresden Files' series.
I question who the sheep are the ones complaining they missed Corrie or the ones who follow an outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.

Wonder who sees what I did there
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:16   #83
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Apparently, BBC4 was suspended for technical reasons because the other BBC channels were showing the same thing. This caused issues with stat muxing, so it was switched off. You'll probably understand the ins & outs better than me!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:23   #84
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:

There's two things to pick up on here.

1) There's a distinct difference between QUALITY of coverage & QUANTITY of coverage.

The coverage almost got to the level of how often did he change his socks, did he ever finish 1st in Fall Guys and what was his favourite flavour of Monster Munch (it was spaghetti sauce)

2) The British people don't need to remember anything at all, they're quite within their rights to complain should they wish. Many have done at the coverage of events such as COVID-19 & Brexit (Of which both have had their fair share of over the top sensationalism) And also will have probably had a more direct impact on people day to day lives than the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 13-04-2021, 10:25   #85
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
How much more wrong could you be? The BBC’s duty is to properly balance news matters within their schedules. For you to lecture the British Public in the way that you have reflects the BBC’s arrogance.

The 110,000 complaints is a weathervane for public opinion.

The BBC exists by Royal Charter, which is up for renewal in 2027. They will also feel threatened by the current Government after relatively recent actions by them. Add this to the accusations by some Tories that they didn't show enough deference when the Queen Mother died and you can see why they didn't want to take any chances.

The BBC was also critiscised for creating a special easy way to complain about this, so took down the link.

I suspect that they are pleased that there were so many complaints as it gives them a way to act more appropriately in the future without upsetting MP's as it would be 'the will of the people'.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 10:46   #86
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
100%

It's the stuff of tinpot dictatorships.

Saying it's the British Broadcasting Corporation as a justification for that level of sycophantic nationalism we would mock the North Koreans for is no justification at all.

<SNIP>.
Exactamundo. And where was the BBC during Brexit?
Siding with the wretched EU!

One thing that was missing from Prince Philip's utterings was any remark about the EU.

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The BBC exists by Royal Charter, which is up for renewal in 2027. They will also feel threatened by the current Government after relatively recent actions by them. Add this to the accusations by some Tories that they didn't show enough deference when the Queen Mother died and you can see why they didn't want to take any chances.

The BBC was also critiscised for creating a special easy way to complain about this, so took down the link.

I suspect that they are pleased that there were so many complaints as it gives them a way to act more appropriately in the future without upsetting MP's as it would be 'the will of the people'.
The BBC are as far up themselves as the EU. They interpret their 'learnings' into better means of getting away with the same arrogance next time. The MPs will have noticed.

As regards the Queen Mother, the BBC got it right as I recall. Anyway, she was a wartime star providing support to the suffering people.

Old 13-04-2021, 10:50   #87
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Exactamundo. And where was the BBC during Brexit?
Siding with the wretched EU!

One thing that was missing from Prince Philip's utterings was any remark about the EU.
Off topic but I need to correct something - the BBC was rightly found lacking for its pro-Brexit coverage in which it gave equal weight to nonsense ideas and by not correcting misinformation. This earned it the name of the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation in some circles in 2016.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 13-04-2021 at 10:54.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 11:12   #88
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Off topic but I need to correct something - the BBC was rightly found lacking for its pro-Brexit coverage in which it gave equal weight to nonsense ideas and by not correcting misinformation. This earned it the name of the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation in some circles in 2016.
There was nothing to correct, Andrew. You reinforced my characterisation of the BBC.

Old 13-04-2021, 13:20   #89
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Back on topic, please.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 13-04-2021 at 16:45.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 16:05   #90
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
There's two things to pick up on here.

1) There's a distinct difference between QUALITY of coverage & QUANTITY of coverage.

The coverage almost got to the level of how often did he change his socks, did he ever finish 1st in Fall Guys and what was his favourite flavour of Monster Munch (it was spaghetti sauce)

2) The British people don't need to remember anything at all, they're quite within their rights to complain should they wish. Many have done at the coverage of events such as COVID-19 & Brexit (Of which both have had their fair share of over the top sensationalism) And also will have probably had a more direct impact on people day to day lives than the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.
And by that same token, Maggy has the right to complain about people complaining.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote