Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Spydot not spybot problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

virus...I think!?!

Old 19-07-2004, 18:43   #1
Womble
Inactive

Services: 20meg BB SACM : All the Channels and phone
Womble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of Quads
virus...I think!?!

Wondering if anyone can help. My brother brought his PC to my house recently because it went on a go slow!. i looked through the process list but couldn't find anything untoward. He was running Zone Alarm and an up-to-date NAV. The machine was un-usable, so I ended up re-imaging it. Today another friend has phoned, and she has the same symptons. The PC boots up ok, but when you go to open a folder the CPU reads 100%?!. I can't re-image hers as it has been supplied by her work, Has anyone any ideas as to what they picked up?, both are running XP.

HELP

PS;thanks inadvance for your time
Womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2004, 19:00   #2
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one
Re: virus...I think!?!

Opening folders and hitting 100% is usually a harddrive about to die or severe fragmentation or virus checker is doing "On Access Scan" of the folder but is struggling to read the contents...
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 20:07   #3
gary_580

NAV2004? i upgraded from NAV2003 to NAV2004 and my performance went through the floor
Old 19-07-2004, 21:07   #4
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

@ womble a little bit more info would be useful , maybe try adaware or summat similar , or how about an online virus scan , the more info the better
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 21:30   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
@ womble a little bit more info would be useful , maybe try adaware or summat similar , or how about an online virus scan , the more info the better
could try this one

http://www.webroot.com/services/spyaudit_03.htm

- I've been using the Spy Sweeper product by the same people & so far it has found things that Adaware & Spybot have missed. I havn't tried the spyaudit app, myself, but it, or the trial version of spysweeper, might be an idea?
Old 20-07-2004, 03:22   #6
Womble
Inactive

Womble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of QuadsWomble has a fine set of Quads

when I arrived at her house I was surprised to see there was no AV software and only the XP firewall! (and this PC was supplied from her IT dept!!). Ran adware & Spybot 3 or 4 times each, they found shedloads of c**p, every time I ran tham they found something differant, but eventually the pop-ups stopped. Uninstalled a corrupt copy of Nero, and hey-presto CPU back to normal!. Have installed NIS 2003 and a fresh copy of Nero and all is well.
Thanks for your import peeps, as always it is much appreciated

So long and thanks for the fish!
Old 20-07-2004, 03:23   #7
Womble
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
could try this one

- I've been using the Spy Sweeper product by the same people & so far it has found things that Adaware & Spybot have missed. I havn't tried the spyaudit app, myself, but it, or the trial version of spysweeper, might be an idea?

Thanks I'll give it a wizz
Old 20-07-2004, 10:12   #8
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
could try this one

I have just been reading a review of that Gaz, it gets top marks on this site.
http://www.anti-spyware-review.toptenreviews.com/
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 10:20   #9
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

For SpySweeper look here - great product IMO.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=14551

As for this thread - although Spyware would be causeing issues i would have thought the main problem was Nero in this case and not the spyware.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 13:56   #10
Womble
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblueraja
For SpySweeper look here - great product IMO.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=14551

As for this thread - although Spyware would be causeing issues i would have thought the main problem was Nero in this case and not the spyware.
What I forgot to metion last night/this morning...it was 3am! when I looked thru the add and remove list e-mule was showing itself as 1.06gig instead of 7.65mb! so that might have had something to do with it aswell.

What i want to know is When will these people learn???
No AV+No Firewall=****e