Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV Volume

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TV Volume

Old 13-04-2021, 22:34   #1
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them
TV Volume

My new LG TV works fine with my Virgin box, but the 100% sound volume is very poor.

Sound Bar - I would select one less than £100.
I know nothing about these items, can anybody tell me if they work OK - I am thinking of a 3.5 USB connection to the TV.
Old 14-04-2021, 11:16   #2
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one
Re: TV Volume

Did you change audio output on your virgin box?
Old 14-04-2021, 11:51   #3
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Have two lg TVs .both have this problem two Panasonic sound boxes cost about 120 pounds each work well. Optical leads.
Old 14-04-2021, 13:37   #4
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
Did you change audio output on your virgin box?
No

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Have two lg TVs .both have this problem two Panasonic sound boxes cost about 120 pounds each work well. Optical leads.
I do not want batteries, so how is a sound bar powered and does it connect to the TV with a USB ?
Old 14-04-2021, 14:17   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

A sound bar plugs into the mains, and connects to the TV with HDMI or an optical cable
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 16:14   #6
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

It's always seemed strange to me that TV manufacturers put a decent amount of effort into a good picture, a myriad of connections, and a multitude of apps . . . yet the sound quality is usually rubbish.

3/10 for the lot of em
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 17:46   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Unfortunately with a flat screen there's no volume in the cabinet to make a decent woofer installation so the sound is always going to be reedy. We use an external 100 Watt subwoofer unit to beef up the bass.
Old 14-04-2021, 18:06   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Unfortunately with a flat screen there's no volume in the cabinet to make a decent woofer installation so the sound is always going to be reedy. We use an external 100 Watt subwoofer unit to beef up the bass.
My current 43 inch LG TV has better sound than my previous Samsung 42inch TV. The 32inch Sony Bravia Wega I had before that had *much* better sound than either.

Weirdly, the 27inch iMac I have on my desk at work has nicer sound than any of them, despite being slimmer than any. That said, IIRC the speakers on the iMac are downward facing, and take advantage of the fact there is quite a large bezel down there (about 5cm), so there is actually quite a lot of room for them to move. Before anyone gets pedantic, I haven't looked up the insides of an iMac for a long time, and don't really have time to do so now, so I could be wrong. I also know that Apple invest an awful lot of money in signal processing on their various devices which may result in a "nicer" (if technically less accurate) sound.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 18:56   #9
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

SONOS Beam with built in Alexa/Google Assistant provides great sound for your tv as well as linking to a variety of music streaming platforms
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 19:44   #10
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
No

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

I do not want batteries, so how is a sound bar powered and does it connect to the TV with a USB ?
As I said mine are sound BOXES Richer sound s played both to me and as I could put in boxes I did . They are mains powered with a remote so that has batteries but can adjust via the box . Was told optical cable was better . No idea if correct but works well for me
Old 18-04-2021, 18:30   #11
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

I have now familiarised myself with all the settings and got my LG TV working fine. Volume not high enough for me and I will consider a sound bar. It is OK with my hearing aid.

Downside - For years my TV has had a lovely non-reflective plasma/matte screen, but not any more.

This new 32 inch LG Smart TV, which does everything except making coffee has a glossy screen which reflects window shine and all other light sources.

Ah well, that's called progress I suppose.
Old 18-04-2021, 19:27   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I was going to say if you need the volume at 100% you should get your ears checked out as that's far too load for normal hearing.

Now I wear hearing aids and getting a soundbar worked well for me, just make sure you get one that that you can also use with the VM remote or you will be juggling controllers.
Old 18-04-2021, 20:19   #13
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

When I switched back to Virgn TV (V6) I found the sound was really quite low compared to the TiVo box. Volume on the same TV and Surround system needs turning up way more than the original VM TiVo.
I think there was a way to increase the volume in other Virgin boxes to 100%?
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 20:55   #14
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have a Samsung Sound Stage and it connects to my Samsung 32" 3D TV via optical cable.

This does mean I can only change the volume using the Sound Stage remote.
Old 18-04-2021, 21:15   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I have a Samsung Sound Stage and it connects to my Samsung 32" 3D TV via optical cable.

This does mean I can only change the volume using the Sound Stage remote.
Mines Samsung too but if i connect it wireless i can use it with a VM and TV remotes, sounds the same too, is that not an option for you?