Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help needed connecting Freeview STB to Panasonic TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help needed connecting Freeview STB to Panasonic TV

Old 24-01-2011, 08:08   #1
kenntudd
Inactive

kenntudd is an unknown quantity at this point

I have got to buy a Set Top Box to receive HD on our TV and I have a Panasonic HD Ready TV with freeview and a non HD dvd recorder which has Freeview built in and I have 2 questions to ask 1. How do I connect up and
2. Will I still be able to watch HD on the TV when connected.
Thanks Ken
kenntudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2011, 08:41   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Set top box

1. Put an aerial connection into the DVD recorder.
2. Put an aerial connection into your new Freeview+HD set top box
3. Use an HDMI cable to connect the set top box to your telly
4. Use a SCART cable to connect the DVD recorder to your telly

You will get HD pictures on your TV so long as you are watching HD broadcasts via the set top box and an HDMI cable. You will not get HD from the recorder with this set up. The DVD recorder won't be able to record HD pictures even if you were to connect an HD set top box to it, so no point trying. But your new Freeview+HD box will record HD, and as you will do most of your programme recording on that, that's all you need.

For archiving from the Freeview+HD box onto DVD, connect the two with a further SCART cable. Or, if your set top box will pass-through from the DVD recorder via SCART, just connect the DVD to the set top box and rely on just a single HDMI connection into the TV from the set top box.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 12:13   #3
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenntudd View Post
I have got to buy a Set Top Box to receive HD on our TV and I have a Panasonic HD Ready TV with freeview and a non HD dvd recorder which has Freeview built in and I have 2 questions to ask 1. How do I connect up and
2. Will I still be able to watch HD on the TV when connected.
Thanks Ken
i would not worry too much about hd on freeview there is only 4 channels
http://www.freeview.co.uk/HD/Products
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 18:03   #4
kenntudd
Inactive

Thanks for the infomation I will connect as you have said.
Thanks again
Ken
Old 24-01-2011, 18:15   #5
kenntudd
Inactive

We have a panasonic TV with freeview and HD ready and a Panasonic DVD Recorder which has freeview but is not HD ready and I asked in a thread on here for connections for a new set top box.
My wife brought one home this afternoon and I connected as I was told ie. Aerial to DVD and from DVD to set top box.
HDMI fron STB to TC and a scart from DVD to TV.

1st problem after setup where it found all channels including HD ones but when you go to a HD channel a message comes on screen saying channel is scrambeled or not available. what have I done wrong? Ken
Old 24-01-2011, 18:19   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
re: Help needed connecting Freeview STB to Panasonic TV

Ken, which HD Channel does it say this on? (for instance, the Sky Movie channels are scrambled).

Try it on BBC1 HD (108).

[Mod Edit - I've also changed the Thread Title to be more meaningful, as this may garner a better response]
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 19:23   #7
kenntudd
Inactive

Thanks for the change in the title Hugh

The problem is with Freeview channels 50, 51 and 52 & 54.also we have freesat in the next room and just found out that when we switch the new freeview box on the freesat switches on as well. I must haave done something stupid.

By the way am I on the right forum for freeview or is this Freesat.

Ken
Old 24-01-2011, 19:32   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Just to be clear, is the Freeview Set Top Box HD capable? (the normal ones aren't).

If so, is your area capable of receiving Freeview HD? Check here
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 20:17   #9
kenntudd
Inactive

Re: Help needed connecting Freeview STB to Panasonic TV

Yes it is a Humax Freeview HD-fox T2.

HD became available 30th march 2010

Ken
Old 24-01-2011, 23:34   #10
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

As the receiver is allowing you to select the HD channels there was obviously enough signal when you set up to allow the receiver to lock on the HD mux. However if the signal is borderline there may not be enough signal to decode the picture. In the DVB tuning menu there should be an option that displays signal quality and/or strength that would show up any problem on this mux.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 08:38   #11
kenntudd
Inactive

The signal is between 78% and 85% and the quality is 100%

I hope this helps, Kem
Old 25-01-2011, 08:52   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Is your Freesat box also a Humax? Both boxes may be responding to the same remote control.

As for the HD channels - are you sure you're watching the feed from your HD-STB and not the TV's built-in Freeview tuner? The TV will not be able to show you any of the HD channels on its own tuner because while the screen and cable inputs are all HD-ready, the built-in tuner is not. You need to make sure you have switched the TV to view what is on the HDMI input, coming in from your Humax HD box. That box should be able to tune to HD channels and send them to your TV.

---------- Post added at 08:52 ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 ----------

Threads merged.

These are both discussing the same issue, not much point having two of them.
Old 25-01-2011, 12:00   #13
kenntudd
Inactive

Yes when I switch the STB on the shannel we were watching changes to the Humax and I can change channels on the handset and if I press input button on thed TV handset and it goes back to freeview. Ken
Old 25-01-2011, 14:34   #14
kenntudd
Inactive

I am pleased to let everyone know that IT WORKS.
What I done was to take all the cables out and switched everything off at the mains and took the plug out, left it for about 3 mins. I replaced the HDMI cable annd put all back and when I switched on I nearly had a heart attack.
So I must thank everyone for their help.
I know where to come for help. Ken
Old 25-01-2011, 14:42   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Glad to hear you got it sorted