Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Network problems..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Network problems..

Old 25-07-2007, 21:54   #16
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

Services: BT, nowhere near 8meg, phone and Sky.
bucketbakereturn is on a distinguished roadbucketbakereturn is on a distinguished road
Re: Wireless Network problems..

ok so this is a wireless extender designed to enhance an existing wireless network?

I'm a little confused myself......being with BT i'd really hoped i would have a place for a homehub downstairs and integrate it more seamlessly into a home av setup. Hoped the devolo kit would also enable a non invasive implentation of technology upstairs without much degredation of signal......still reading this thread with interest.
bucketbakereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-07-2007, 22:00   #17
novacrsh
Inactive

novacrsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketbakereturn View Post
ok so this is a wireless extender designed to enhance an existing wireless network?

I'm a little confused myself......being with BT i'd really hoped i would have a place for a homehub downstairs and integrate it more seamlessly into a home av setup. Hoped the devolo kit would also enable a non invasive implentation of technology upstairs without much degredation of signal......still reading this thread with interest.
The dLAn Wireless Extender is touted as a Highspeed Homeplug adapter & WLAN Access Point - i was hoping my existing setup could easily take this extra Wireless access point - but due to my lack of knowledge its clear i need a router to manage the traffic.
My concern is that i need somthing that connects modem to a wireless router downstairs (without a PC nearby) then to the Dlan socket downstairs - and if im right in thinking i then would be able to connect upstairs PC via Dlan as usual and the Wireless Router would enable me to connect the Laptop to the internet.

Any suggestions on a standalone Wireless Router that is compatable?
novacrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 22:05   #18
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacrsh View Post
The dLAn Wireless Extender is touted as a Highspeed Homeplug adapter & WLAN Access Point - i was hoping my existing setup could easily take this extra Wireless access point - but due to my lack of knowledge its clear i need a router to manage the traffic.
My concern is that i need somthing that connects modem to a wireless router downstairs (without a PC nearby) then to the Dlan socket downstairs - and if im right in thinking i then would be able to connect upstairs PC via Dlan as usual and the Wireless Router would enable me to connect the Laptop to the internet.

Any suggestions on a standalone Wireless Router that is compatable?

I would of thought something such as a belking f5d7230 think they are 34.99 in pc world. connect the cable modem to the wan port on your new router then a network cable from one of the four network points on your router to the downstairs dlan

dlan should work and then also so should the wireless

make sure you reboot the cable modem before you attach the router
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 22:14   #19
jcw00
cf.addict

jcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the rough

Use the wireless router for your laptop, and the existing DLAN setup for your desktop. The DLAN sockets means that you don't have to put any ethernet cabling around your home, so it's still a useful product.
jcw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 22:18   #20
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw00 View Post
Use the wireless router for your laptop, and the existing DLAN setup for your desktop. The DLAN sockets means that you don't have to put any ethernet cabling around your home, so it's still a useful product.
I havent heard of this DLAN kit before, but if a wireless router is conencted to the cable modem via the ethernet cable, where would the dlan connect to ?
Old 25-07-2007, 22:20   #21
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

bucketbakereturn is on a distinguished roadbucketbakereturn is on a distinguished road

ah got it.....

so for me, adsl modem/router connected to dlan, ethernet to xbox from modem/router, plus the benefits that the modem/router is also wireless, so thats all downstairs.

upstairs, dlan connected to desktop pc and somewhere else upstairs the wireless dlan extender.

........correct?
Old 25-07-2007, 22:23   #22
jcw00
cf.addict

jcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the rough

You don't need a router with ADSL installed if you are using a cable modem.

Cable Modem --- Router --- DLAN Socket --- Desktop
.................................\--- Wireless --- Laptop
.................................\--- Ethernet Cable --- xbox
jcw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 22:23   #23
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketbakereturn View Post
ah got it.....

so for me, adsl modem/router connected to dlan, ethernet to xbox from modem/router, plus the benefits that the modem/router is also wireless, so thats all downstairs.

upstairs, dlan connected to desktop pc and somewhere else upstairs the wireless dlan extender.

........correct?
No

not and ADSL modem router (unless you are on broadband) if you are on virgin cable you will need a DSL router only. the setup to my mind should look like this

cable modem ----- wireless router --- downstairs dlan and xbox connected via ethernet

wireless does laptop
Old 25-07-2007, 22:30   #24
novacrsh
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
No

not and ADSL modem router (unless you are on broadband) if you are on virgin cable you will need a DSL router only. the setup to my mind should look like this

cable modem ----- wireless router --- downstairs dlan and xbox connected via ethernet

wireless does laptop
exactly the setup i require - so im going to be sending the Dlan wireless extender back - so any ideas what router would be the best for this situation?

Is the Router an easy thing to setup?
Old 25-07-2007, 22:36   #25
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacrsh View Post
exactly the setup i require - so im going to be sending the Dlan wireless extender back - so any ideas what router would be the best for this situation?

Is the Router an easy thing to setup?

Everyone has their own personal preferences, in the past I have used Netgear, Dlink and Belkin, Im currently using a cheap belikin wireless router F5D7230 which i got from PC World for thirty five quid. it was an absoloute doddle to setup and has all the features I need. It sits next to my cable modem downstairs the Xbox 360 is connected to one of the four switch ports I have a media home hub connected to another and my and my housemates connect via the wireless.

Had one initial problem with it which i have added to the belkin setup guide in the stickied comments at the top of this page.

so far so good
Old 25-07-2007, 23:18   #26
novacrsh
Inactive

Well thank you all for your great advice - allways a font of knowledge and all greatly received.
Novacrsh
Old 26-07-2007, 07:14   #27
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

@ mrmistoffelees, its a Linksys adsl wireless modem/router so i think we're just jousting over terms here. plus i'm a BT customer on broadband.

u think the wireless dlan upstairs would be overkill?