Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VoIP

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VoIP

Old 25-07-2007, 16:27   #1
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future
VoIP

I was wondering what you had to do to set up VoIP(Voice Over Internet Provider). I was going to get one of those adapters what you can plug into the back of your router, but what company does it go through and how much does it cost? ()
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-07-2007, 16:56   #2
awibble
Inactive

Services: FreeView FreeSat SKY+ (6 Mix) BT Phone (comming soon) V+ XL - TV XL - PHONE XL - BB SKY-MOV
awibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant future
Re: VoIP

depends who you want to go with.

Personally i prefer Skype.

I use one of thease now http://accessories.skype.com/item?SI...&sku=VOIP8411B

works well and saves a lot of effort
awibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 17:02   #3
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Can u plug any phone into one of these:http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=447 and got VoIP on it. If You Can What provider will it use, or do u choose.
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 17:04   #4
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

I use Skype, works pretty well...
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 17:30   #5
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I use my gaming headset with skype.....
Old 25-07-2007, 18:38   #6
prince_zeepress
Inactive

prince_zeepress is on a distinguished roadprince_zeepress is on a distinguished road

Should work with any standard 'phone (cordless or wired), and with most VoIP providers (that use the standard SIP protocol), but not Skype which uses a proprietary protocol. When you sign up with your chosen provider they will provide you with the details you need to configure the adapter (which is done via a web interface).

Sometimes if you buy an adapter direct from the provider it comes pre-configured for your account. In some cases it's locked down so you can't then reconfigure it for a different provider.
prince_zeepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 19:03   #7
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

You also generally need a credit/debit card - kinda rules you out of most of them
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 19:44   #8
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

BTW, VOIP is Voice Over Internet Protocol, not Provider.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 23:29   #9
prince_zeepress
Inactive

prince_zeepress is on a distinguished roadprince_zeepress is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
You also generally need a credit/debit card - kinda rules you out of most of them
Gradwell accept payment by direct debit.

http://www.gradwell.com/
prince_zeepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 00:02   #10
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_zeepress View Post
Gradwell accept payment by direct debit.

http://www.gradwell.com/
I don't know many 12 year olds with a current account either
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 00:16   #11
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Ah Im sure his mummy/daddy will get their wallets out. I'd personally stay away from Skype, but that's just me, I have an account with Sipgate which works out great
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 02:18   #12
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I don't know many 12 year olds with a current account either
Well, they do sometimes tell stories about sultanas. That is close enough.

---------- Post added at 02:18 ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callumpy View Post
Can u plug any phone into one of these:http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=447 and got VoIP on it. If You Can What provider will it use, or do u choose.
YOU, damn it. Not "u".

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 08:10   #13
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one

I used www.vonage.co.uk cost £7.99 pm but cancelled my phone line rental as it uses my BB connection. Free calls to UK 01/02 numbers some free international. Just plugs into normal phone.

Very good would recommend

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 10:43   #14
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W

I use sipgate for it's free 0845 number and voicemail.
I also use voipfone for it's cheap call rates and inner london number.
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 21:34   #15
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal

I use a VOIP adapter, a Linksys SPA 3102 which connects directly to my router or modem. My house cordless DECT phone system, plugs into my 3102, & I can use the phone when the PC is off. I use Sipgate to provide the incoming calls, free, & Voipcheap.com for all outgoing calls. I put app £8 on Sipgate, which gives me an incoming number, & lasts forever. I put £8 every 3 months on Voipcheap. Nearly all my "paid for" calls are to mobiles, at app 6p pm. Calls to landlines are free.
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote