Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Broadband question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

VM Broadband question

Old 22-06-2007, 18:43   #1
Ninko
Inactive

Ninko is an unknown quantity at this point
VM Broadband question

Hi there,
I am soon joining Virgin Media Broadband and was wondering wheather its best to buy a wireless router or one with a built in modem which would replace the one they give me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ninko
Ninko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2007, 18:46   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: VM Broadband question

You can't use anything other than the VM supplied modem.

Combined router / modems are for ADSL (phone line based broadband), not cable use.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 19:16   #3
Ninko
Inactive

ohhh right, well thats well and truely answered my question lol, thanks m8.

One other quick question, what type of cable is used to connect the cable modem to the router, is it a eithernet cable?

Take care

Ninko
Old 22-06-2007, 19:23   #4
Cruachan
Inactive

Cruachan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninko View Post
Hi there,
I am soon joining Virgin Media Broadband and was wondering wheather its best to buy a wireless router or one with a built in modem which would replace the one they give me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ninko
Just to be clear - are you getting Cable broadband or ADSL (i.e. through the phone line) broadband? Even though this is the Cable Forum I thought I'd check.

Routers conect to modems via Ethernet ... but while cable modems I know of have Ethernet interfaces, not many ADSL modems do.
Cruachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 19:29   #5
Ninko
Inactive

Yes Cable Broadband, not DSL.

Ninko
Old 22-06-2007, 19:32   #6
Cruachan
Inactive

Cruachan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninko View Post
Yes Cable Broadband, not DSL.

Ninko
As mentioned previously you'll have to use the supplied cable modem and plug your router into it.
Cruachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 02:29   #7
Ninko
Inactive

Just want to get an opinion on the following router: http://accessories.virginmedia.com/w...ode=SELF520302

Any opinions on wheather its a good one or not, as theres just so many lol.

Thanks again

Ninko
Old 23-06-2007, 02:47   #8
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb BB
Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

I've got a Netgear router very similar to that, and it's great. One thing I would note though is that if you are intending on playing games on a console, ports being blocked may be an issue, however, this can be quickly amended by visiting the following site - www.portforward.com and searching for the relavent router/what you wish to use.

A popular brand on router around here appears to be Linksys. They have some fantastic offerings too, so these are highly recommended.
Sirpingalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 08:09   #9
Safeman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media The False Advertising Company
Safeman is an unknown quantity at this point

if you are planning on playing alot of online gaming forget it between 4pm 12am welcome to VM
Safeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 13:39   #10
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

I'm good for gaming between then..
Old 23-06-2007, 14:54   #11
Ninko
Inactive

I don't really play that many online games.

Ninko

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Oh, and one more quick question, does anyone know if that router supports Dynamic DNS as I host my own site on my computer and my old router updates my current IP address to http://www.dyndns.org for me.

Thanks

Ninko
Old 23-06-2007, 18:41   #12
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Yes, it does. Well, mine does anyway, and this one is a more advanced model, so I'd assume so.
Old 23-06-2007, 23:24   #13
Ninko
Inactive

Thanks Sirpingalot and everyone else.

Take care

Ninko
Old 28-07-2007, 14:44   #14
Ninko
Inactive

Hi there,
Now that I have that router, just one quick question, why is the routers time one hour ahead? Is there anyway of updateing it?

Thanks

Ninko