Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wireless on NTL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wireless on NTL

Old 25-07-2007, 22:32   #1
simmo1000
Inactive

simmo1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
wireless on NTL

Hi

trying to install a Dlink Router into my mates house
all installed ok, can access through the wired link but the Wireless connection gives a limited connectivity and no connection to the Net.

I have checked security (completly removed)
a couple of different laptops, one works here at my house so its definitly not the laptop.
I think its a wireless setting on the router but cant pinpoint what, any ideas?

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

ps have the NTL box plugged into the routetr and then the pc plugged into the router.
this works fine
simmo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-07-2007, 22:39   #2
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: wireless on NTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo1000 View Post
Hi

trying to install a Dlink Router into my mates house
all installed ok, can access through the wired link but the Wireless connection gives a limited connectivity and no connection to the Net.

I have checked security (completly removed)
a couple of different laptops, one works here at my house so its definitly not the laptop.
I think its a wireless setting on the router but cant pinpoint what, any ideas?

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

ps have the NTL box plugged into the routetr and then the pc plugged into the router.
this works fine
Is the DHCP server running on the router ?
Is the laptop configured with a static IP address ?
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 22:44   #3
simmo1000
Inactive

simmo1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

laptop hasnt got a static ip address
I was thinking of the DHCp when I wason my way home.
If it wasnt running I presume I could probably get one internet connection and the others would time out?
simmo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 22:46   #4
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo1000 View Post
laptop hasnt got a static ip address
I was thinking of the DHCp when I wason my way home.
If it wasnt running I presume I could probably get one internet connection and the others would time out?
Not sure, If the DHCP server was switched off at the router I dont think it would be possible for the machine connected via ethernet to browse the internet either

something to check perhaps ?
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 23:48   #5
prince_zeepress
Inactive

prince_zeepress is on a distinguished roadprince_zeepress is on a distinguished road

I would check the IP configuration

(Open Command Prompt and type ipconfig/all)

This will tell you what IP addresses have been allocated, and the DHCP server being used, etc.

I would also check that the TCP/IP settings for the wireless adapter are set to obtain IP address automatically.
prince_zeepress is offline   Reply With Quote