Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear wireless router needs a kick up the backside

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear wireless router needs a kick up the backside

Old 20-07-2007, 19:48   #1
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light
Question Netgear wireless router needs a kick up the backside

Hi All,

I've had a look at past topics but can't find anything like the problem I'm having.

I have a WGR614v6 with V2.0.14_1.0.14 (UK) firmware, a PC hardwired to this and a laptop connected by wireless.

When I switch on the router and connect using the PC (hardwired) I get 2mbps D/L as I should do, so that is fine.
If I connect wirelessly via the laptop my D/L speed is 512kbps UNTIL I log into the router, go to the wireless settings page, change nothing and simply hit 'Apply'. After the updating has finished my wireless speed goes up to the 2mbps it should be.
The laptop is on the wireless access list.

Could someone please let me know what's going on? Thanks.
dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-07-2007, 15:09   #2
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic
Re: Netgear wireless router needs a kick up the backside

Try the latest firmware, you're using firmware that's almost a year old. Updating to the latest can iron out some bugs, and Netgear firmware can be a little temperamental.
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 15:43   #3
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks. I didn't realise an update had been released. Last time I checked I was up to date.

I'll try this later, but I'm always a bit wary of doing firmware upgrades. Maybe a glass or two of wine later will give me courage enough!
Old 21-07-2007, 15:48   #4
pedantic
Inactive

pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze

Just don't upgrade it wirelessly, and you'll be fine. I've done loads of upgrades, never had any problems so far.
Old 21-07-2007, 16:01   #5
dav
Inactive

Yes, I stumbled into that trap once. Learned the lesson the hard way.
Old 21-07-2007, 16:56   #6
pedantic
Inactive

Don't forget to do a hard reset after you update the firmware. I've always found it useful to do this.
Old 22-07-2007, 16:37   #7
dav
Inactive

Well, it wasn't straight forward (as usual) but not a painful as before.
It remains to be seen if it cures my problem totally though, but indications look promising.
Cheers pedantic
Old 22-07-2007, 21:05   #8
pedantic
Inactive

Glad you're sorted.
Old 23-07-2007, 19:41   #9
dav
Inactive

Hmmm, seems I'm not sorted. Even though the firmware update went OK, it hasn't cured my problem. Still as per my original post.

Thanks for trying though.