Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hello everyone..1st question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hello everyone..1st question

Old 23-07-2007, 14:32   #1
ClockworK
Inactive

ClockworK is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Hello everyone..1st question

Hi all
First off ,Good forum.
Now my situation. I have just had VM installed and the Modem is now in the Living room, front of house downstairs, My BT internet was in the back bedroom upstairs. So now I have my Xbox plugged straight into Modem, but no connection as yet to PC. I have been reading posts and searching on the forum ect and have more or less decided on This:
Wireless connection to PC using Linksys WRT54GS. But im not sure what I need to install into the PC. The Pc has both USB & Ethernet sockets.
ANy ideas/advice would be gratefully recieved. And/or alternative ideas.
Cheers Guys/Gals
Vance
ClockworK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-07-2007, 14:38   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Hello everyone..1st question

to Cable Forum

Most routers that do wireless (including the WRT54GS) also have wired LAN ports. Thus you have a choice of either ethernet connection of PCs, or consoles, or wireless. Ethernet is the easy option when most of today's PCs have that available. If you want wireless then you'll need a wireless adaptor for the PC - those come in USB versions, or some are ethernet.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 15:18   #3
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

Try installing the linksys router by plugging it into your pc's ethernet port and configure it. Then, if its configured properly it should work wirelessly.

()
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 15:41   #4
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read the part where you say whether you got a wireless adaptor or not (TLDR)

Something like this http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...?ProductID=986 will work wirelessly with the 54GS router

PS
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 16:46   #5
ClockworK
Inactive

ClockworK is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers 4 the replies guys. I will be sortin it out this weekend so I will post how I get on.
Cheers
Vance
ClockworK is offline   Reply With Quote