Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys Router / Modem & NTL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys Router / Modem & NTL

Old 22-07-2007, 09:22   #1
RaveDog
Inactive

RaveDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys Router / Modem & NTL

Morning Folks,

I used to have a BT line, and I used my Linksys WAG54G wireless router/modem.

I then had NTL installed, and now there are wires all over the place - I'm sat on the sofa with the NTL modem in the middle of the floor in order to access the net.

Can I use my old wireless Linksys modem/router with NTL? If so, do I need to reconfigure anything, or change any settings? I tried plugging it in and seeing if that would work and it didn't.

Thanking you in advance,
Lisa
RaveDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-07-2007, 09:25   #2
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: Linksys Router / Modem & NTL

The linksys is a combined ADSL router/modem, sorry but it won't work with Virgin Media/NTL cable.

You need a standalone router.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 09:59   #3
RaveDog
Inactive

Thanks Jon T,

That's a shame

I've also got a USB thing that plugs into the side of my laptop which came with the WAG54G. Does this make a difference to my predicament? (not sure what it does...)

Cheers,
Lisa
Old 22-07-2007, 10:35   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Nope you cannot use the router you have with cable, as Jon T has stated. I'd suggest you ebay it and get yourself a cable compatible wireless router. If you are happy with the "g" (54mbps max) wireless speeds - which is probably what the USB thing you also mention that plugs into the side of the laptop, then just get a Linksys WRT54G series router instead.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 11:17   #5
RaveDog
Inactive

OK cheers guys - will do that.

Lisa x
Old 22-07-2007, 15:36   #6
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

Do you share the internet connection or it is just one wireless you need? Because you may be able to use the WAG as an access point only:- turn off dhcp on the WAG and plug the cable modem into a LAN port. Cross your fingers and your single laptop be able to get the NTL IP address via wireless.

If you do go for a new router try for the WRT54GL (L for Linux) which is compatible with a number of 3rd part firmwares - the newer ones are not so good.
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 17:16   #7
RaveDog
Inactive

Hi mmm,

Thanks for the response. I do not share the internet connection - it is only one connection for one laptop. When the guy came to install NTL, he told me the WAG54G could be used alongside the modem supplied by NTL. (He didn't hang around to do it after I told him off for walking his muddy boots thru my house!).

So before I try this, do I need to reboot anything, or do I just plug it in then when it's all set up, go in to http://192.168.1.1/ and adjust settings.

Sorry to be such a n00b!

Lisa
Old 22-07-2007, 20:11   #8
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

I haven't done this with this particular modem but I would try the following order.

First connect the laptop to the WAG54, it should then get a local LAN IP, so you can log into its setup pages to disable the DHCP server and then save this configuration.

Then power everything down, connect the ntl modem to the WAG by Ethernet, disconnect the Ethernet between laptop and WAG54.

Power the ntl modem up, when lights have settled power up the WAG and the laptop. The laptop should then get the NTL supplied IP address and internet should work.

NB the NTL modem will only give the first device to connect an IP address (laptop wired will be different device to laptop wireless), when the laptop has the NTL supplied IP address you will probably not be able to access the modem. To do so you either reset the WAG to defaults or assign you PC a static IP address in the same range as the WAG is 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0.

If this doesn't work please let us know exactly which version of WAG54 you have. Linksys provide web screen simulators so there may be more settings can be tried ie

http://www.linksysdata.com/ui/WAG54G/v1/1.00.2/
Old 22-07-2007, 20:20   #9
RaveDog
Inactive

Hi mmm,

Thanks for your response.

I've tried to connect the WAG54G to my laptop via the ethernet cable, and the lights are not showing a connection under ethernet 1,2,3 or 4 - i've tried all of them. It won't let me get to the IP address to change any settings.......

The only lights showing on the WAG54G are 'power' and 'WLAN'.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Lisa
Old 22-07-2007, 20:59   #10
mmm
cf.geek

Can you connect wirelessly to the WAG screens? How do you connect to the ntl cable modem - by USB? If so maybe the Ethernet port on laptop is disabled?

If the WAG54 Ethernet ports don't work - not much hope! They do have a habit of failing due to internal capacitor faults...