Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless on NTL / Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless on NTL / Virgin

Old 19-07-2007, 22:48   #1
DWM1971
Inactive

DWM1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless on NTL / Virgin

Hi there ....

Help!!!!!

I have a laptop running Windows Vista, with wireless capability.
My Broadband provider is NTL / Virgin.
I have just purchased a Micronet SP916GK Wireless Broadband Router.
I have managed to connect it to the cable router and the laptop.
I have managed to get into the router settings, and also to get a connection using a cable.
I cannot however get wireless connection .... anyone got any advice?
DWM1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2007, 22:52   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Wireless on NTL / Virgin

to Cable Forum

I see you have a wired connection established.

Is your laptops wireless connection enabled?

Try initially turning off your laptops firewalls. Sometimes these and your antivirus can get in the way. You may also need to reboot the laptop for it to see the wireless connections if it had been on ethernet.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 22:54   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

You sometimes have a little switch to enable Wireless on the side of the Laptop.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 20:21   #4
Longtimeuser
Inactive

Longtimeuser is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Try initially turning off your laptops firewalls. Sometimes these and your antivirus can get in the way. You may also need to reboot the laptop for it to see the wireless connections if it had been on ethernet.

Sorry Rob but I dont believe a firewall or an AV package would ever stop you from seeing a Wireless connection,

If the wireless is enabled on the laptop then check the router is set to broadcast the SSID and that the security, for now is set to disabled,

There are 2 ways to connect your laptop to a wireless router, one is using the wireless NIC's own software and the other is using what is called Windows Zero Config, the method for configuring either is different and I would need to know before hand which method your using.

By default the Windows Zero Config is disabled and needs to be turned on in services and set to automatically start at bootup.
Longtimeuser is offline   Reply With Quote