Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Paying too much for calls?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Tesco voip-anyone used it..?

Old 17-02-2008, 10:59   #1
Vlad_Dracul
Inactive

Services: Dispensing wit and wisdom in so far as I am able . P3 500Mhz/ 2Mb BB when it works,no Tv,n
Vlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful oneVlad_Dracul is the helpful one
Tesco voip-anyone used it..?

I am considering a swap to Tesco voip for my home phone using their phone adaptor so that i can use my existing phone hardware. Anyone using it/comments?

Apparently the back off/infrastructure is provided by voicedot

ta
Vlad_Dracul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2008, 11:12   #2
utt
Inactive

utt is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Tesco voip-anyone used it..?

Gave it up..

software issues just after it first started, credit top up were a nightmare but have heard its improved
utt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 15:13   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Not used thier VoIP but did use Orange VoIP for a bit. Fantastic service when my Mother in Law was touring Australia as the calls were free. Also you would never have known that it was VoIP than analogue line.

A relative uses Tesco and is happy but again they're on ADSL and not Cable but as the bandwidth isn;t that much different up or down I don't see any problem.

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 16:59   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My missus uses it to call France.. cheap with no problems so far...
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 16:59   #5
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Try here:

http://www.vonage.co.uk/call-plans/

30 days money back guarantee if you don't like it too. I've found them to be great. Been with them a few years now. Had about three free routers out of them when ours have given up the ghost or started misbehaving.

Fee calls to a long list of countries too.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 15:39   #6
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy

Not used it personally and probby would not anyway
PeteTheMusicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 15:49   #7
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

Tesco VOIP is a rip off, use Skype - the original and best
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 18:44   #8
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickendippers View Post
Tesco VOIP is a rip off, use Skype - the original and best

Best in what way? Can you elaborate for me?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 19:59   #9
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

Unlimited Landline calls within the UK:
Skype Pro is £1.50/month
Tesco Anytime UK is £5/month

Skype can also be used for video calls, making free calls on a mobile phone (on 3), instant messaging, sending money via PayPal and finding businesses. Tesco mobile does none of these.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2008, 14:43   #10
UncleBooBoo

The OP was looking to replace his home phone line for voip, Skype is only good for people who want to make cheap outgoing calls only and relies on a pc to use. (it also has poor voice quality compared to true voip/sip based providers due to the codec they use!)

A true voip/sip provider allows incoming and outgoing calls with local numbers for all of the uk, you can also use them without the need for any computers. Either via an adapter that allows you to just plug in your normal bt phone into or via a sip phone.

Skype is for amatures or just for people who want something simple to make cheap outgoing calls.
Old 24-02-2008, 15:23   #11
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBooBoo View Post
The OP was looking to replace his home phone line for voip, Skype is only good for people who want to make cheap outgoing calls only and relies on a pc to use. (it also has poor voice quality compared to true voip/sip based providers due to the codec they use!)

A true voip/sip provider allows incoming and outgoing calls with local numbers for all of the uk, you can also use them without the need for any computers. Either via an adapter that allows you to just plug in your normal bt phone into or via a sip phone.

Skype is for amatures or just for people who want something simple to make cheap outgoing calls.
Skypein gives you a phone number. Amateurs?

I've used Skype abroad and its brilliant for phoning home, I've had three and four way conference calls with family on phones or on their own Skype handsets.
Amateurs!! Mod edit (Gavin): Insult removed

However from home we use Vonage. Free landline calls in the UK and something like 10 other countries. We call Greece once a month maybe for an hour, girlfriend phones her parents virtually every night for an hour, all for £7.99 a month.
  Reply With Quote Received Warning
Old 24-02-2008, 15:59   #12
UncleBooBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
Skypein gives you a phone number. Amateurs?
Not one to suite your area code regardless of what part of the country your in!

I belive it's only 02 numbers, not much use to some if your looking to replace your home phone landline now is it! Also skype can pull your number at any time and bin it!! They did that to thousands of users just a couple of months ago!!!

Quote:
I've used Skype abroad and its brilliant for phoning home, I've had three and four way conference calls with family on phones or on their own Skype handsets.
Amateurs!! <removed>.
Like i said it's ok for people who want to make calls! Or those who want to get to know how it all works!! How does that make me a removed.

Also i thought it was against forum rules to insult other members?removed.

Quote:
However from home we use Vonage. Free landline calls in the UK and something like 10 other countries. We call Greece once a month maybe for an hour, girlfriend phones her parents virtually every night for an hour, all for £7.99 a month.
Vonage are a voip/sip based company although they restrict there service to their own hardware only. This has a negative effect for a lot of users as your limited to using settings & codecs not to mention your connection goes all the way round the planet and then back just to make a local call!

That can effect things and often does, check out the vonage forum for proof on that.
Old 24-02-2008, 18:29   #13
Losttheplot

Quote:

Like i said it's ok for people who want to make calls! Or those who want to get to know how it all works!! How does that make me a <removed>?

Also i thought it was against forum rules to insult other members? <removed>

No your amateur slur wasn't aimed at anyone, it was aimed at everyone who uses Skype.
You've slated Skype and stated Vonage have problems. I've had no problems with either company. Any constructive comments or recommendations to make?
Old 24-02-2008, 18:54   #14
UncleBooBoo

How have i slated skype?

And where did i say vonage and skype have problems??

I pointed out both pro's and con's to both companies.
Old 24-02-2008, 19:04   #15
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Also i thought it was against forum rules to insult other members?

Leave the moderating to the moderators in future. That includes quoting and responding to infractions.

I would also like to remind you that discussion of infraction warnings is prohibited on the open forum.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote