Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ISP Virgin Media UK to Launch Surprise 600Mbps Broadband Tier

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Vitgin Media to launch Google Smart Home trial

Old 24-10-2020, 17:00   #1
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Vitgin Media to launch Google Smart Home trial

Not sure if this has been already posted but just in case it hasn't I thought it could be interesting to any member in the trial areas
Quote:
The bundles are being launched in areas including Cardiff, Manchester and Southampton with Virgin saying it's created the service to cater for the growing demand in connected home security.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...rt-home-bundle

........ and here's the link to the VM site giving more details/prices.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...art-home-trial
Old 24-10-2020, 17:49   #2
noel43
cf.addict

Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
noel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Vitgin Media to launch Google Smart Home trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Not sure if this has been already posted but just in case it hasn't I thought it could be interesting to any member in the trial areas

They cant even get tvtogo to work properly. No chance this will
noel43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 18:01   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33709149

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel43 View Post
They cant even get tvtogo to work properly. No chance this will
Exactly. In the thread I originally started about this, people weren't too keen to put the security of their home in the hands of VM.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 20:01   #4
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Now that it is available the prices alone would put me off. I certainly don't fancy the idea of having my home security tied into my service contract with Virgon Media.
Old 29-10-2020, 11:31   #5
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Nice little profit for them there - £120 on top of normal prices for the base package
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 15:36   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
Nice little profit for them there - £120 on top of normal prices for the base package
Except Virgin Media's cost includes the install whereas Google's don't as far as I know. Here's how much Nest charged for the doorbell only install a couple of years back.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ice-UK-release
Quote:
Nest charges £100 to get the Hello fitted which takes the total for buying one to over £320.
Old 01-11-2020, 16:37   #7
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Cheers Ben I guess if it includes setup and fitting...
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 18:20   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I setup and funded my own smart home, not hard to do at all.

I have 5 TP-Link Smart Plugs, and 19 Philips Hue bulbs (10 are colour and 1 is the light strip) the only rooms not Hue'd up are the bathroom and spare room which is currently a dumping ground to be sorted.

I put a motion detector in the side shed and kitchen.

The dining room has a wall which I have turned into a study, so the main light is called dining room, but I have a lamp with two bulbs, I have set them under a zone called Study so that the 2 light come on along with the dining room.

Best of all with Echo Auto in my car I can tell lights to come on as I get home.

I am looking at what to get next in home automation so will welcome ant recommendations.

Last edited by Hom3r; 02-11-2020 at 18:33.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 21:38   #9
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

I'm all Google'd out. I have Nest mini's, display hubs, nest mesh wifi, nest thermostat, Philips Hue in every room, wifi CCTV, smart plugs... all of which I have bought during sales/black Fridays. All powered by VirginMedia's 200MB Broadband, and love it.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote