Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 22-04-2015, 18:08   #4996
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meekel View Post
Yay more downtime last night..

Would that be a SH1 you have? That ramping on the latency is a well documented (done to death) phenomenon in this forum and is down to the lameness of the SH1.

It is mitigated by rebooting the SH1 every few days and avoided with a SH2.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2015, 21:53   #4997
Meekel
Inactive

Meekel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Would that be a SH1 you have? That ramping on the latency is a well documented (done to death) phenomenon in this forum and is down to the lameness of the SH1.

It is mitigated by rebooting the SH1 every few days and avoided with a SH2.
Yup it is. I've resorted to rebooting the SH1 so far. I'm moving to London in the coming months so not long left..
Meekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 22:08   #4998
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

In the meantime, Meekel, you could make life less miserable by posting your graph on the VM Forum and asking the Forum Team to send you a SH2 as replacement.

Old 23-04-2015, 08:58   #4999
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Anyone else see a small spike downwards yesterday like this? Usually a packet loss spike would be indicate a reboot of the Superhub, or a T3/T4 or something connection related but nothing like that has occured. My line is free of Post RS errors too (And for the first time ever, free of Pre-RS errors on 4 channels) so nothing really seems to have happened my end.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 09:17   #5000
Sephiroth
Simples

If you have a SH1 then reporting in the network log is minimal. So you mat well have had a reset and you wouldn't know it - if you have a SH1.

Old 23-04-2015, 09:21   #5001
Stop It
Inactive

Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
If you have a SH1 then reporting in the network log is minimal. So you mat well have had a reset and you wouldn't know it - if you have a SH1.
I have a SH2, so it shouldn't have been that. I'll check my uptime later to make 100% sure though. I don't think it was a reboot as I get the usual ~300 Post RS errors on each channel when my SH resets and there was 0 present.
Old 23-04-2015, 15:12   #5002
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post

Anyone else see a small spike downwards yesterday like this? Usually a packet loss spike would be indicate a reboot of the Superhub, or a T3/T4 or something connection related but nothing like that has occured. My line is free of Post RS errors too (And for the first time ever, free of Pre-RS errors on 4 channels) so nothing really seems to have happened my end.
I don't see any spike on your graph, but assuming you mean what I think you mean, such events can be relatively normal network glitches that happen once in a while that may or may not be anything to do with your line.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 15:52   #5003
Stop It
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I don't see any spike on your graph, but assuming you mean what I think you mean, such events can be relatively normal network glitches that happen once in a while that may or may not be anything to do with your line.
Fair point, and I appear to have accidentally posted a link to my live graph, which is why it has disappeared, oops.
Old 29-04-2015, 11:48   #5004
Meekel
Inactive

Quote:
In the meantime, Meekel, you could make life less miserable by posting your graph on the VM Forum and asking the Forum Team to send you a SH2 as replacement.
I tried without specifically asking for a SH2..

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...2817866#M62504

*sigh*
Old 29-04-2015, 17:52   #5005
Sephiroth
Simples

Well, I've given the Forum Team a nudge as to what should be done!

If you search in this forum on the keywords CRAWLEY and RAMPING, you'll see a huge thread on the subject, led by THENRY. It's that wretched SH1 that's the cause of this particular problem.

Old 29-04-2015, 19:27   #5006
Meekel
Inactive

Quote:
Well, I've given the Forum Team a nudge as to what should be done!

If you search in this forum on the keywords CRAWLEY and RAMPING, you'll see a huge thread on the subject, led by THENRY. It's that wretched SH1 that's the cause of this particular problem.
Much appreciated!
Old 30-04-2015, 10:43   #5007
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydtiger View Post
Last nights graph. No downloading going on.

I called up VM the other night and told them that online gaming is almost pointless due to lag and latency problems. He replied saying there is work being done on 1st April that should fix it. Apparently its been affecting the whole network.

Can any VM employee's confirm this at all?

so looks like a typical high utilisation graph to me, usual over subscription issues is my guess.

Shame as I had the impression from what I read on tbb, VM were getting rid of these issues of under investment.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 15:59   #5008
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
so looks like a typical high utilisation graph to me, usual over subscription issues is my guess.

Shame as I had the impression from what I read on tbb, VM were getting rid of these issues of under investment.
Should add, high local utilisation. It most certainly isn't congestion affecting the "whole network", unless VM meant the "whole local network"...

Localised congestion is usually one of the slowest types to get fixed unfortunately.

Congestion affecting the "whole network" tends to be fixed very quickly, particularly given it affects high-paying businesses and has a habit of hitting the news.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:03   #5009
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

yes I meant node/local congestion.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 23:26   #5010
Wiggz
cf.addict

Wiggz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in an area that apparently (according to VM CS) has very high congestion and is touted for an upgrade in September.

I can't shake the feeling something else is at play however as the packet loss is monumental as you can see.

I'm in the Nuneaton, Warks area but others as far away as Nottingham have reported this and been given the same reference number:

Wiggz is offline   Reply With Quote