Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 12-07-2013, 21:10   #2596
neilo
cf.addict

Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
neilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to all
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Wow, BT would have been better off keeping its games under wraps! The mystery was making me really worried that I'd be missing out if we didn't get BT Sports. But after seeing that list and seeing that every game is at 12.45 on a Saturday, I'm quietly hoping that BT Sports won't go on XL and we'll all get some money off instead!
neilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2013, 21:16   #2597
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Not much point in me getting it as I'm at work most Saturdays
Old 12-07-2013, 21:33   #2598
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

BT have 8 out of 20 weekends first pick and sky 12/20 for the remaining games.

BT got 5/13 first picks and Sky used 8/13 for that period.

Clearly BT will have a greater number of better games in the 2nd half of the season.

Early games, even big ones, tend not to be that great anyway.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 21:36   #2599
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
Wow, BT would have been better off keeping its games under wraps! The mystery was making me really worried that I'd be missing out if we didn't get BT Sports. But after seeing that list and seeing that every game is at 12.45 on a Saturday, I'm quietly hoping that BT Sports won't go on XL and we'll all get some money off instead!
12.45 saturday kick off time suits me fine but if I'm out I just record it!
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 21:46   #2600
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

I assume BT Sport will come with ESPN if it launches on XL?
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 22:24   #2601
Jameseh

Nobody has a clue.
Old 12-07-2013, 22:26   #2602
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulsontom View Post
BT have 8 out of 20 weekends first pick and sky 12/20 for the remaining games.

BT got 5/13 first picks and Sky used 8/13 for that period.

Clearly BT will have a greater number of better games in the 2nd half of the season.

Early games, even big ones, tend not to be that great anyway.
No, Sky get to choose which weekends Bt take their top picks.
Old 12-07-2013, 22:58   #2603
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Good question to ask is - does anyone know if the football commentators from ESPN, will be on BT Sport ?
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 23:04   #2604
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Joining BT Sport as football commentators will be Ian Darke and Darren Fletcher. Darke has covered all 21 seasons of the Barclays Premier League as well as Champions League finals and five World Cups for various broadcasters. Fletcher joins BT Sport after becoming one of the most familiar voices on BBC Radio 5 Live, through his excellent football commentary on Barclays Premier League, European Championships and World Cups.

Joining them will be former Liverpool and England legend Michael Owen who will retire after the 2012-2013 season and will take up the key role of co-commentator.

In addition, Premier League referee Mark Halsey joins BT Sport in August in a brand new role in the commentary team working across the channels’ football coverage. Halsey has refereed in the Premier League since 1999, officiating over some of the biggest games.

http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/s...7fd94374186%7D
no sign of Jon Champion great news! total bore that guy. Anti-Gooner.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 23:06   #2605
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Good question to ask is - does anyone know if the football commentators from ESPN, will be on BT Sport ?
Moot point, if Virgin don't get it.

But don't worry, enough people here can tell you what happens, when it happens

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

That presumes you remain a Virgin
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 01:40   #2606
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
No, Sky get to choose which weekends Bt take their top picks.
Yes. But Out of the remaining 20 weekends, Sky have 12, BT 8.

BT are highly likely to pick up some good stuff amongst those 8 weekends.
coulsontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 09:31   #2607
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

There will be no doubt some good games on Bt, after all, there were on ESPN. What there won't be are any of the headline matches that sell subscriptions. Sky can control when Bt get their rremaining 8 top picks - if the best match of that weekend is Man U v. Palace then that's what they're stuck with. They spent ttoo much time trumpeting their number of top picks, and now they've been made to look a little silly (as predicted).

And when you consider that Setanta failed and ESPN didn't want to continue despite having all the xl customers as guaranteed revenue, something Bt don't yet have, and the fact that those who actually attend matches won't be able to watch their output because they'll be on the way to the game, I think it's fair to say that Bt will struggle for viewing figures. I know that's not necessarily the most important factor to gauge the success of this venture for Bt, but I simply can't see that they'll ever be able to make money from it.
Old 13-07-2013, 10:02   #2608
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
There will be no doubt some good games on Bt, after all, there were on ESPN. What there won't be are any of the headline matches that sell subscriptions. Sky can control when Bt get their rremaining 8 top picks - if the best match of that weekend is Man U v. Palace then that's what they're stuck with. They spent ttoo much time trumpeting their number of top picks, and now they've been made to look a little silly (as predicted).

And when you consider that Setanta failed and ESPN didn't want to continue despite having all the xl customers as guaranteed revenue, something Bt don't yet have, and the fact that those who actually attend matches won't be able to watch their output because they'll be on the way to the game, I think it's fair to say that Bt will struggle for viewing figures. I know that's not necessarily the most important factor to gauge the success of this venture for Bt, but I simply can't see that they'll ever be able to make money from it.
It depends on how many subscribers switched to their broadband product.

And depends on BT's end game. Still not obvious
Old 13-07-2013, 11:24   #2609
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

19 days
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 11:40   #2610
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
19 days
Yes, I am excited. Looking forward to three more sports channels