Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Additional V6 Box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Additional V6 Box

Old 11-10-2020, 14:00   #1
EddieRobinson7
cf.member

EddieRobinson7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Additional V6 Box

Hi guys - this has maybe been asked before, I'm just not able to find a thread on it when I've been looking around..

Can I ask please - and I realise this might sound naive to you guys that know what you are talking about/been here a long time - but does anyone know if it's possible for me to purchase a V6 Box say from eBay for example, and simply swap it for my older Tivo Box (Model: Cisco CT8620) that I have in my "second room" as per the multi-room plan with Virgin?

Or am I looking at that not being possible due to something such as the mac address of the new box not matching up with something Virgin's end meaning they won't transmit to it?

^the main reason I wanted to ask is by the looks of it the older box I have doesn't appear to have any way to watch Amazon Prime Video on it like the newer V6? (would also welcome anyone telling me different on that for sure!)

Thanks for any advice/info guys

Edd
EddieRobinson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2020, 14:12   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Additional V6 Box

Pretty sure the VM systems won’t recognise the purchased box, so you would be wasting your money on it.

Why not ask VM how much it is to replace the old TiVo?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 14:19   #3
EddieRobinson7
cf.member

Hi - I think that is the way I will ultimately have to go with it - I just wanted to see if there were any other options before going to them direct (just thinking around money saving is all).

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-10-2020, 15:02   #4
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Pretty sure the VM systems won’t recognise the purchased box, so you would be wasting your money on it.

Why not ask VM how much it is to replace the old TiVo?

Any virgin box for sale on eBay or any other online site is effectively stolen property. The only way to source one is through virgin.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 15:07   #5
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Phone VM - you may be lucky and grade a cheap (or even free) upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieRobinson7 View Post
Hi guys - this has maybe been asked before, I'm just not able to find a thread on it when I've been looking around..

Can I ask please - and I realise this might sound naive to you guys that know what you are talking about/been here a long time - but does anyone know if it's possible for me to purchase a V6 Box say from eBay for example, and simply swap it for my older Tivo Box (Model: Cisco CT8620) that I have in my "second room" as per the multi-room plan with Virgin?

Or am I looking at that not being possible due to something such as the mac address of the new box not matching up with something Virgin's end meaning they won't transmit to it?

^the main reason I wanted to ask is by the looks of it the older box I have doesn't appear to have any way to watch Amazon Prime Video on it like the newer V6? (would also welcome anyone telling me different on that for sure!)

Thanks for any advice/info guys

Edd
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 15:53   #6
EddieRobinson7
cf.member

Gave them a call this afternoon..

They quoted me a "one-off" fee of £99 for the V6 box to replace the 500GB Tivo one, and another "one-off" fee of £35 for activation. Then said it will be another £12 per month on my subscription to have that in place.

So you guys no doubt see now why I was trying to understand if there were "other options".

Again, appreciate the replies.
Old 11-10-2020, 16:12   #7
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

If you are out of contact call cancellations and see what can magically happen
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 16:18   #8
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

If you're not within a minimum term of your contract, you'll probably have more luck phoning cancellations. Get a quote from BT for the equivalent to what you want and Virgin will more likely to offer discounts if you tell them you are considering leaving.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 17:03   #9
EddieRobinson7
cf.member

Much appreciated all.
Old 11-10-2020, 21:37   #10
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieRobinson7 View Post
Gave them a call this afternoon..

They quoted me a "one-off" fee of £99 for the V6 box to replace the 500GB Tivo one, and another "one-off" fee of £35 for activation. Then said it will be another £12 per month on my subscription to have that in place.

So you guys no doubt see now why I was trying to understand if there were "other options".

Again, appreciate the replies.
Jeez... Deffo go the cancellation route. You'll get a better deal.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:16   #11
45rpm
45RPM

45rpm has a spectacular aura about them45rpm has a spectacular aura about them45rpm has a spectacular aura about them45rpm has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Any virgin box for sale on eBay or any other online site is effectively stolen property. The only way to source one is through virgin.
When I upgraded to Tivo, VM allowed me to keep my old box (I think it's a V6). In fact, I don't think there was an option to return it. The choices were for me to dispose of it, keep as 2nd box or for my future use.

There is a separate discussion as to whether VM should not be forced to take back old kit and properly recycle it.

However, I think there will be loads of these things available; all totally legal.
45rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:45   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You wouldn't have upgraded from a V6 to TiVo. You would have had an older V box. These are all disabled and decommissioned.

Virgin Media contribute to the WEEE DTS scheme to cover kit that they don't ask for back

https://www.gov.uk/electricalwaste-p...akeback-scheme

At no stage is legal ownership of the rented kit transferred to customers for resale. This means any rented Virgin Media kit that is on eBay is still illegal.

Last edited by BenMcr; 10-11-2020 at 08:49.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:53   #13
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Virgin Media contribute to the WEEE DTS scheme to cover kit that they don't ask for back

https://www.gov.uk/electricalwaste-p...akeback-scheme

At no stage is legal ownership of the rented kit transferred to customers for resale. This means any rented Virgin Media kit that is on eBay is still illegal.
How does that stop people chucking their unwanted/unreturnable boxes into landfill? If VM always retain ownership then they should be responsible for disposing/recycling.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 16:58   #14
45rpm
45RPM

45rpm has a spectacular aura about them45rpm has a spectacular aura about them45rpm has a spectacular aura about them45rpm has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
You wouldn't have upgraded from a V6 to TiVo. You would have had an older V box.
How can I determine whether my old box is V6 or otherwise? There's a load of numbers on the backplate eg Samsung gu466gg uk smt-c7100 nagra ird

Quote:
These are all disabled and decommissioned.
I was promised at the time of the switchover that my old box could be used in another room or a at any time in the future. Where they misleading me?

Quote:
Err no; they refused to have it back at the time.

Quote:
This just gets worse and worse. Do you honestly believe VM are treating its customers fairly?

---------- Post added at 15:58 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
How does that stop people chucking their unwanted/unreturnable boxes into landfill? If VM always retain ownership then they should be responsible for disposing/recycling.
Absolutely!
45rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 17:16   #15
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45rpm View Post
How can I determine whether my old box is V6 or otherwise? There's a load of numbers on the backplate eg Samsung gu466gg uk smt-c7100 nagra ird
That's a Samsung TiVo. It's not a V6. But it is a currently-used box so could potentially be reactivated on your account if you wanted.

This is what a V6 looks like:
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/v6
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote