Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:31   #11146
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

I just saw a post from a mate on a message board who wrote to several MPs/MEPs. With his permission, I quote:

"I've just noticed a reply from one of my MEPs - Edward McMillan-Scott MEP ( Yorkshire & Humber , UK , Conservative) Vice-President of the European Parliament.

He is opposed to the way Phorm has been introduced without telling customers.

He also brought to my attention the following website:

www.antiphorm.com "

Another potential invite/ally?
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2008, 02:48   #11147
Bonglet
cf.addict

Bonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about them

Is the 80/20 pia finsihed yet thats well over a month behind now isnt it ?.

Simon hasnt shown his face in oo quite a while now.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:29   #11148
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Talking Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Just received my custom spreadshirt. Quality is excellent, can recommend them.

Mines much less subtle than Alex's design. STOP PHORM in monster size letters and big graphics.

Alex's tasteful design is here...
http://nodpi.spreadshirt.net/en/GB/Shop
or you can design your own less subtle message (don't forget to select a basic white t-shirt)...
http://www.spreadshirt.net/en/EU/Cre...t/Designer-59/
Old 05-07-2008, 09:30   #11149
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
Speaking of security gurus - you may have heard of Bruce Schneier. He's a bit of a heavyweight in the IT security world. He releases and monthly newsletter on security.

His website can be found here:

http://www.schneier.com/

I was surprised to find out that he is 'Chief Security Technology Officer' of BT. I wrote him an email, before I knew this fact and asked why he hadn't written any articles about Phorm. He replied that the technology was 'not particularly interesting'.

Technically, this may be true. However, he also writes about all sorts of stuff relating to the intersection of technology and privacy and social issues - which is why I was all the more surprised at the time.

In light of the new information, I wouldn't be surprised if his reticence has anything to do with his position. Though this is mere speculation on my part.
It's quite a dilemma for him after co-authoring books such as "Electronic Privacy Papers. Interestingly one of his essays http://www.schneier.com/essay-115.html has the sentence "We're giving up privacy without getting any security in return.". Not quite the same but his position may be similar to that of of Simon (80/20) of Privacy international. Do you bite the hand that feeds you or do you keep a clear conscience. Maybe we should ask the guy? Another interesting essay "Why "Anonymous" Data Sometimes Isn't" http://www.schneier.com/essay-200.html.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:52   #11150
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
It's quite a dilemma for him after co-authoring books such as "Electronic Privacy Papers. Interestingly one of his essays http://www.schneier.com/essay-115.html has the sentence "We're giving up privacy without getting any security in return.". Not quite the same but his position may be similar to that of of Simon (80/20) of Privacy international. Do you bite the hand that feeds you or do you keep a clear conscience. Maybe we should ask the guy? Another interesting essay "Why "Anonymous" Data Sometimes Isn't" http://www.schneier.com/essay-200.html.
I've emailed him to ask his views on the security implications of DPI being used for targetted advertising and mentioned NebuAd - particularly with respect to the security of personal identifiers within the system. I haven't mentioned Phorm. As he lives in the USA (California) he will be aware of NebuAd. I mentioned that Steve Gibson was podcasting on the subject as well.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:01   #11151
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
Ok Guys

Just got a response from Steve Gibson:

Hi ******,

You are welcome to use the image at the TWiT page, and, yes, any anti-Phorm campaigns are also welcome to use the pic and links, etc. We're all on the same side in this issue.

Thanks for your note, for your interest ... and all the best,

The image to link is at the URL below:

<<http://twit.tv/sites/all/themes/twit/img/podcasts/podcast_2.jpg>>

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

and create the link back to:

http://twit.tv/sn151

This will be more professional looking. And as Steve Gibson says above, all Anti Phorm Campaigns are welcome to use
Thanks for this PM, I've sent an email to Steve thanking him for the excellent coverage on Phorm and for allowing us to use the image, as it never hurts to say thank you

As you say it does make things look a little more professional, and I've updated my blog posts accordingly.

Thanks again PM
Old 05-07-2008, 10:21   #11152
davews
Inactive

davews is an unknown quantity at this point

You should also link to Steve's securitynow page - http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm which has all versions of the audio together with the very useful transcripts. twit.tv is Leo's site (who seems in this instance to be agreeing with Steve, but he doesn't always!) and only has the high resolution audio.

Dave
Old 05-07-2008, 10:24   #11153
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by davews View Post
You should also link to Steve's securitynow page - http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm which has all versions of the audio together with the very useful transcripts. twit.tv is Leo's site (who seems in this instance to be agreeing with Steve, but he doesn't always!) and only has the high resolution audio.

Dave
Aye Dave, I've included links to the Security Now page already, as the transcripts are extremely useful
Old 05-07-2008, 10:38   #11154
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

For anyone wanting the source of the "we can see the entire internet" quote - its here

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/20/bu...in&oref=slogin

and dates from 20th March or thereabouts. It was said by Virasb Vahidi, Chief Operating Officer of Phorm, in a US press conference.

It took a while to find, as all the quotes of the quote were about "we can see the WHOLE internet" which is a misquote.

Worth resurrecting that quote, as I don't think it is the sort of thing Phorm want us to remember (unless they are trying to sell OIX spaces).
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53   #11155
ilago
Inactive

ilago is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonglet View Post
Is the 80/20 pia finsihed yet thats well over a month behind now isnt it ?.

Simon hasnt shown his face in oo quite a while now.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that 80/20's contract had been terminated or that Phorm as the "employer" of the services had decided not to publish the work. When the meeting videos failed to appear I thought 80/20 may have been having difficulties with their client.

Consultants often provide this sort of service, only to have it end up in a filing cabinet somewhere. I've worked as a consulting engineer and a project manager in a different field and it happens all the time. It's not uncommon for clients to shop around for a consultant that agrees with their already determined opinion.

Simon may not have been prepared to sacrifice his integrity to suit his client. I've walked away from clients that have done something similar.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27   #11156
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
For anyone wanting the source of the "we can see the entire internet" quote - its here

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/20/bu...in&oref=slogin

and dates from 20th March or thereabouts. It was said by Virasb Vahidi, Chief Operating Officer of Phorm, in a US press conference.

It took a while to find, as all the quotes of the quote were about "we can see the WHOLE internet" which is a misquote.

Worth resurrecting that quote, as I don't think it is the sort of thing Phorm want us to remember (unless they are trying to sell OIX spaces).
You maybe could have pointed out the article also finished with the quote by Virasb Vahidi “Because we feel very comfortable that our claims are true.”

So they cannot deny it either.

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilago View Post
cut...

Simon may not have been prepared to sacrifice his integrity to suit his client. I've walked away from clients that have done something similar.
In view of the great work done by Simon in the past I for one would sincerely like to think this was the case. But this is slightly off topic.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:30   #11157
Rchivist
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
You maybe could have pointed out the article also finished with the quote by Virasb Vahidi “Because we feel very comfortable that our claims are true.”

So they cannot deny it either.

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

In view of the great work done by Simon in the past I for one would sincerely like to think this was the case. But this is slightly off topic.
yes I saw those quotes also about inspecting the technology. Strange - I don't see any reference since to the independent audit of their installed software in the BT servers or in the Phorm side of the equation. Promised - not delivered. Maybe Virasb is feeling a bit less comfortable nowadays.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:47   #11158
Peter N

Compare the Virasb quote with this from the CEO of NebuAd.

"Google knows what they do on your site, but we know everywhere you go, the sites you stop at and ads you see"

These companies all seem to be cut from the same cloth.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:29   #11159
warescouse
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N View Post

"Google knows what they do on your site, but we know everywhere you go, the sites you stop at and ads you see"

Yes, but not only the same cloth. Some of them seem have had links in the past in some way to either spyware, adware, rootkits, or combinations of. (Or does that come under your meaning of same cloth?).

Isn't it amazing how any involved in those practices have in my opinion suddenly seen the errors of their old ways and have attempted to 'cast away' those nasty linkages. Strange also that they all have similar ideas and also seem to be singing from a similar song sheet. (Yet the words seem not too dissimilar from those uttered in the past?)
ref: Wayback machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/200512111...com/index.html
and what does f-secure mention about it.
I refer to http://www.f-secure.com/sw-desc/apropos.shtml

"PeopleOnPage produces the Apropos family of spyware"

and who produced PeopleOnPage. I leave that for any readers who don't know to find out for themselves.

If you get stuck try here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorm
Old 05-07-2008, 12:55   #11160
ilago
Inactive

ilago is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter N View Post

Following up from some information on the mediapost site I found some other interesting references I don't recall seeing here before although they date back to April.

http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3628943
Quote:
"TNS Global found that 57 percent of the people surveyed said they are not comfortable with advertisers using their browsing history to serve ads even when they believe their names and other personal information is not being revealed. Fifty-four percent said they delete their cookies at least twice monthly."
...snip...
""First of all TRUSTe is following this issue from a privacy perspective," said Hodge, noting TRUSTe works with "companies that represent the entire value chain" including advertisers, ad networks, publishers and portals."
...snip.. they forgot the 57% of consumers that don't like it ....
"Unfortunately, I don't have the silver bullet for it," she conceded. "But there are some good models out there taking place. It's definitely TRUSTe's position that all the companies benefitting from behavioral targeting need to be working together to make sure consumers feel like they understand more about what's happening."
These two reports also - warning pdf links

http://www.networkadvertising.org/ne...nts_FTC_BT.pdf

http://www.ftc.gov/os/comments/behav...stecomment.pdf
Closed Thread