Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 23:36   #11176
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
Other people to possibly invite to speak at the demo:

Tim Burners-Lee

Tony Benn

Shami Chakrabarti

?
well earlyer today i did find out George Galloway has his own spot on a new internationally watched Net TV program station in the same vain as 18DS that disappeared a while back....

http://www.presstv.com/Programs/play....aspx?id=62059

dont use the silverlight, click on the windows media player to stream it.....

but im not sure george is a right guy to be asked for support
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2008, 23:42   #11177
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phormic Acid View Post
Unfortunately, it doesn’t make any difference. I became aware of this when testing the various browsers, to see how they handle cookies on a redirection. Even where a modern browser ends the request line with HTTP/1.0, it will accept and successfully process a HTTP/1.1 307 Temporary Redirect in response. If you were to force Firefox to send HTTP/1.0 and not act on the 307 status code, the correct action would be for it to display whatever page content is in the response. This would normally be something like:
Temporary Redirect

The document has moved here.
In the case of Webwise, there may be no content. This would result in an empty browser window. For HTTP/1.0, Webwise could just use a status code of 302 instead.
A 307 redirect preserves the "Referer", but I don't think a 302 redirect does(?), So they couldn't use 302 as some sites, like erm, well the webwise opt-out site require referrer to function .

But as Phorm checks the agent string and only supports modern browsers, I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 05-07-2008, 23:46   #11178
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

BTW, what happened to the weekend fun?....

BT need a boost at 6
http://www.kindlyfoxtrotoscar.com/?a...nominee&nID=44

kents at 2 still
http://www.kindlyfoxtrotoscar.com/?a...nominee&nID=45

and phorm is still No.1 OC
http://www.kindlyfoxtrotoscar.com/?a...ominee&nID=132

and poor David Davis have only had 2 redeeming SOS Today
http://www.kindlyfoxtrotoscar.com/?a...ominee&nID=398
Old 05-07-2008, 23:55   #11179
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
cut...

but im not sure george is a right guy to be asked for support
I'm watching/listening to him now. He seems a bit wooden in front of an autocue. He is a far better speaker on the fly but if you really want a vote.
Old 06-07-2008, 00:18   #11180
Peter N

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
The PIA has not yet been completed and it is one of the conditions that if it is quoted the entire document has to be made publicly available.

I communicate with Simon on a regular basis even though he is out of the country so I keep up to date on the PIA issue. The second anything changes I will make sure to let everyone know.

Alexander Hanff
I wonder if there's any connection between Phorm employing Simon Davies and the fact that he was embroiled in controversy in 2007 when Privacy International were widely accused of unduly critcising Google whilst appearing top defend Facebook and Microsoft by manilpulating the reporting system.

I'm also curious as to why Privacy International have been so quiet on the whole issue of Phorm especially as they are now attacking Google (phorm's favourite target) for updates to Google Earth.

Perhaps someone from Privacy International who doesn't have a vested interest in Phorm and who isn't on their payroll could attend the Barbican if only to explain their hands-off approach to the biggest privacy issue facing all internet users around the world since the birth of home computing - interception of all data regardless of origin or destination.

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
I'm watching/listening to him now. He seems a bit wooden in front of an autocue. He is a far better speaker on the fly but if you really want a vote.
Rightly or wrongly he is also a very unpopular figure with many people because of some of his actions and statements regarding Iraq and the varioius claims regarding his relationship with the former Iraqi leadership.

He could be a serious liability when it comes to getting the message across as his high profile could prove to be distracting and there's a risk of many in "Middle England" simply switching off to anything he says.

Old 06-07-2008, 00:32   #11181
popper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonglet View Post
Is the 80/20 pia finsihed yet thats well over a month behind now isnt it ?.

Simon hasnt shown his face in oo quite a while now.
true but he's also potentially seeing all the posts here in his Email Notifications, so he May be reading some posts

we dont forget , and its another reason and reminder to make sure we rely on ourselves to try and get, and make our own video's for the whole days activitys and chatter on digital video, charging laptops and mobiles for a full day is always a challenge in the wild OC, those invertors pluged into a lighter socket, i mentioned a while back are useful in this dont forget.

its werth thinking about and planing for just incase something good comes up, im sure it will, and it would be a shame if we didnt have it streamed on the Harddrive somewere on the web as soon as it happens....

and its all good for future video points of information and our own PR drives etc....
Old 06-07-2008, 00:46   #11182
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
He also brought to my attention the following website:

www.antiphorm.com "

Another potential invite/ally?
This just pollutes your traffic with spam and uses up your bandwidth and the bandwidth of sites you are visiting. It does nothing to protect the security of your internet connection and provides zero data protection. It is just a red herring, even it a well intentioned.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:19   #11183
popper
Inactive

theres also the main point of good video taken on a tripod or solid wall/box/whatever... and thats potentially ready made users content the Tv might use in news clips coverage etc, currentTV being a good prospect OC.

its probably wise to NOT Sign any exclusive contracts for the use of your content though (but if their offering good money for it,you might share it with them ,keeping all your rights to use it as you please as the owner OC)

---------- Post added at 01:09 ---------- Previous post was at 00:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
I've emailed him to ask his views on the security implications of DPI being used for targetted advertising and mentioned NebuAd - particularly with respect to the security of personal identifiers within the system. I haven't mentioned Phorm. As he lives in the USA (California) he will be aware of NebuAd. I mentioned that Steve Gibson was podcasting on the subject as well.
regarding NebuAd as a side note theres that old site (split to stop it going off the side of the screen,cut and paste the full url)
http://www.stopscum.com/archives/gat...ting_services_
and_behaviorlinkcom_some_new_names_but_the_same_ol d_spyware_parent.html

that tells all about Gator NebuAds many prior names...upto that February 17, 2005 date

---------- Post added at 01:19 ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
Thanks for this PM, I've sent an email to Steve thanking him for the excellent coverage on Phorm and for allowing us to use the image, as it never hurts to say thank you

As you say it does make things look a little more professional, and I've updated my blog posts accordingly.

Thanks again PM
asking for permission for all ANti-Phorm/NoDPI users to use the video/Audio and make small clips of them to help bring out the key points he makes , an Official Audio quote clip if you will, could also be a good thing.

i heard him say they had worked out how to use 2 skyPE feeds to stream to many viewers of the live show?, one for Audio and one for Video, so i assume theres video of it too somewere ? so perhaps video quote clips can also be made if they give permission for that to..
Old 06-07-2008, 02:15   #11184
Peter N

Be careful if filming or photographing as any recording of shareholders, bystanders or passers-by could be deemed a breach of privacy and you don't want to give BT or Phorm any easy points to pick you up on where that's concerned.

Be especially careful with the shareholders as you don't want to rile them and check up on the current state of the law regarding any filming where children's images could be captured.

The last thing you want is someone accusing you of double standards or, worse still, being arrested or having your recordings confiscated for breach of privacy.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:40   #11185
popper
Inactive

this is interesting
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...vis_interview/
David Davis tells El Reg that Labour is 'mesmerised' by tech

Liberties sacrificed for 'an illusion'

By John OzimekMore by this author
Published Friday 4th July 2008 11:43 GMT

looking up John on that link
http://search.theregister.co.uk/?author=John%20Ozimek
he did this too
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...otography_law/
So, what can you photograph?

Anything - bar a few exceptions

By John OzimekMore by this author
Published Monday 23rd June 2008 10:41 GMT

it seems like the perfect laymans handbook for your good points ,well made, Peter

---------- Post added at 03:40 ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 ----------

perhaps OT but it IS relevent to the bigger long term picture
if it looks like it might get lots of unrelated posts, mods can move them to the already provided BT BR thread below if they feel it becomes required. copyed this over there #14 just incase, to keep it all linked together.

hmm, good and bad points here, fibre good, Phorm bad, BT infrastructure better, Virgin Media Infrastructure over suscribed....
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...bre_intellect/
Ofcom said.....(lets do a deal?)

"
Ofcom flashes cash guarantees at BT for fibre investment

Next gen network quid pro quo tabled

By Chris WilliamsMore by this author
Published Friday 4th July 2008 13:54 GMT

..."

meanwhile over on Ofcomwatch

perhaps it's just me ,but i cant agree with his implyed 'they were to busy' i get the feeling, it looks like theres no real End users Advocates for the new chair spot yet, or any real way to see justice done for thoughs that cant afford the high court baristers fees upfront....for that matter, perhaps the HoL can re-ballance that feeling with a little time and openly seen effort...! AND real positive results for all to see and benefit from in the short to middle term OC

http://www.ofcomwatch.co.uk/2008/07/...ral-injection/
Old 06-07-2008, 08:17   #11186
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hi All

Just put up Anti-Phorm Video #3 the new video is Here enjoy.

Anti-Phorm Video #2 is Here

Kent Down The Pan is Here
Old 06-07-2008, 09:03   #11187
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Interesting link showing some stuff about the possible background of some of the top staff working for NebuAD.

http://www.charterwatcher.com/2008/s...und-on-nebuad/

NebuAD are involved in a similar type of targeted advert business on the other side of the pond using packet inspection .

Other items on the site are worth a browse IMHO. Charterwatcher's intent is to be a single location for all of the available information regarding Charter’s wire-tapping and advertising program.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:42   #11188
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point

Great Quote!!!!

Guys, a member on badphorm made the following post:

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/e107_plugi...topic.php?7200

Check out the Quote:

Dr Arvind Narayanan Who un-anonymised Netflix.
"The behavioural profiles Phorm collects are exactly the type of data on which our techniques are most effective"

Old 06-07-2008, 13:00   #11189
Digbert
Inactive

Digbert will become famous soon enoughDigbert will become famous soon enoughDigbert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
Great Quote!!!!

Check out the Quote:

"The behavioural profiles Phorm collects are exactly the type of data on which our techniques are most effective"

A little off topic, but if anyone wants to know the method, there's an interesting pdf here http://arxiv.org/abs/cs/0610105
Old 06-07-2008, 13:20   #11190
warescouse
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
Great Quote!!!!

Check out the Quote:

Following on from your revelation I noticed that Bruce Schneier, who was mentioned a few pages earlier in this thread, did a mention of a joint paper by the said mentioned.

http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...tymatters_1213

I found the comment "The moral is that it takes only a small named database for someone to pry the anonymity off a much larger anonymous database." quite an interesting point. In a nutshell, if I have not misunderstood, the gist it seems is that if you can extract some identifying data from say from a blog or from in fact anywhere, you can apply this to a larger anonymous database and quite possibly identify the individual and their habits from this. The algorithms apparently used are fairly robust.
Closed Thread