Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 14:57   #4381
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I am surprised you say this. Applying pure capitalism to something that is chronically needed by the whole world is immoral. Putting aside the greed, who do you think would benefit from these profits? Would 3rd world countries be able to afford these prices or would we just let them die?
Not if capitalism does a good job distributing it at low prices. I don't care if someone makes a profit in the process.
Old 04-07-2020, 15:08   #4382
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Not if capitalism does a good job distributing it at low prices. I don't care if someone makes a profit in the process.
That's not working so well for insulin users in the USA at the moment...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 04-07-2020, 15:09   #4383
downquark1
cf.mega poster

downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That's not working so well for insulin users in the USA at the moment...
The US medical system is messed up you'll get no argument from me on that. It is simultaneously under-regulated and over-regulated.
Old 04-07-2020, 19:52   #4384
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Well that depends really. If the UK found the vaccine we should extract maximum revenue from the rest of the world for it. That's exactly what the United States would do, so good practice for us.

It's just statistically improbable that we would, so yes hedge our bets.

Mismanagement of the virus is likely to make a vaccine pointless anyway. While it might prevent more serious outcomes, it is likely to start to wearing off after 3 months to 1 year (like the flu jab) so it's now a certainty to remain within the global population for years to come to a greater or lesser degree. Great news for the capitalists who thought that the long game was better for economic outcomes.

Previous generations fought wars for years and we couldn't support (as a planet) everyone sitting on their arse for three months. I think that says a lot about us really...
That's a good point. It won't just be a case of vaccinating everyone and that's it, it will have to be repeatedly done.

Maybe to cut costs it will only be given to people with a high risk of complications from contracting Covid-19? Trouble is, the rest of the population might not die, but it will result in higher rates of sickness abscence. Ripe for fraud too, how many managers would want to insist that someone claiming to have the symptoms comes into work?

Does anyone think that there will be forced vaccinations (here or elsewhere) when/if one is found? It sounds like a draconian measure, but if some people refuse to have one, how are Governments likely to react?
Old 04-07-2020, 20:30   #4385
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
That's a good point. It won't just be a case of vaccinating everyone and that's it, it will have to be repeatedly done.

Maybe to cut costs it will only be given to people with a high risk of complications from contracting Covid-19? Trouble is, the rest of the population might not die, but it will result in higher rates of sickness abscence. Ripe for fraud too, how many managers would want to insist that someone claiming to have the symptoms comes into work?

Does anyone think that there will be forced vaccinations (here or elsewhere) when/if one is found? It sounds like a draconian measure, but if some people refuse to have one, how are Governments likely to react?
No chance of forced vaccinations. Some people react very badly to flu type jabs. Someone might know for sure, but I believe a SARS jab, for example, can send the immune system haywire in older people.
Forced jabs is Nazi stuff.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 04-07-2020, 20:45   #4386
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Not all people can be vaccinated. Eg those with a compromised immune system.
Old 04-07-2020, 22:34   #4387
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Need 60 to 80% for herd immunity so it doesn't necessarily need to be everyone.
Old 04-07-2020, 22:45   #4388
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I am surprised you say this. Applying pure capitalism to something that is chronically needed by the whole world is immoral. Putting aside the greed, who do you think would benefit from these profits? Would 3rd world countries be able to afford these prices or would we just let them die?

This is the only solution that should be considered ..
While I've got many reservations about capitalism I'm able to observe it and comment on how it will act in practice.
Old 04-07-2020, 22:57   #4389
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Not with my tax payer’s money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99
I'll qualify my remarks further. Vaccine would be reasonable use for the DfID money if a moral dimension were to be followed. Anyway, 3rd world countries might yet attain herd immunity through natural processes.

Old 04-07-2020, 23:06   #4390
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
While I've got many reservations about capitalism I'm able to observe it and comment on how it will act in practice.
Quote:
"In accordance with AstraZeneca's commitment globally, the company will supply the vaccine to countries without considering profit during the pandemic, understanding that this is a global problem and that it needs an answer considering the impact on global public health," an AstraZeneca spokeswoman said in an email.
Which part of "without considering profit" do you not understand?
Old 04-07-2020, 23:12   #4391
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Is that a contractual commitment?
Old 04-07-2020, 23:13   #4392
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Not that you were asking me, but who's gonna pay AZ the cost price for the vaccine for 3rd world countries?

Old 05-07-2020, 09:34   #4393
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Not that you were asking me, but who's gonna pay AZ the cost price for the vaccine for 3rd world countries?
AZ, and various countries medical organisations are (during the pandemic) - investing in future customers...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:51   #4394
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
AZ, and various countries medical organisations are (during the pandemic) - investing in future customers...
Woke, woke, woke. Ridiculous. AZ won't invest in the poor, oppressed (by their own regimes who should apologise immediately) in the third world, who have no chance of doing well for themselves in the way we're used to.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:44   #4395
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
No chance of forced vaccinations. Some people react very badly to flu type jabs. Someone might know for sure, but I believe a SARS jab, for example, can send the immune system haywire in older people.
Forced jabs is Nazi stuff.
I will not be able to have any vaccination in the form that it is being currently developed.

My only hope is that I get a very mild form of covid-19 and that it triggers an immune response to SARS-CoV-2 without triggering my immune system to destroy all my red blood cells. Bloody scared.