Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 16-02-2019, 09:49   #1021
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
A large number of people do not have the money and/or the room and/or the inclination for TVs of 55 inches or even larger, without which I am told UHD makes no noticeable difference
In our case we have simply not got the room for a 55 inch TV or bigger in our main room.
Old 16-02-2019, 09:59   #1022
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
A large number of people do not have the money and/or the room and/or the inclination for TVs of 55 inches or even larger, without which I am told UHD makes no noticeable difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
In our case we have simply not got the room for a 55 inch TV or bigger in our main room.
And honestly, even if you do, it's not always obvious. I got a 55" Samsung TV last year - one of the non-QLED screens.

A lot of the time, good quality HD and 4K can be roughly the same. Even where you do notice it, you get used to it after a while - kind of like when you go to the cinema and get used to the screen size.

For me it's the combination of 4K and HDR that's really noticeable, rather than just 4K alone.
Old 16-02-2019, 10:20   #1023
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Don’t forget that decent 4K TVs upscale HD, which improves PQ.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 10:32   #1024
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

So the broadcasters may be better spending money on developing good quality HD rather than UHD with all the problems that seems to bring with it
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 10:49   #1025
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
So the broadcasters may be better spending money on developing good quality HD rather than UHD with all the problems that seems to bring with it
There is a difference in making things in 4k and broadcasting in 4k.

So for me the move to 4k production is worth it. However 4k broadcasts and TVs need to settle on a set of standards that are consistent. Without that the end results will vary wildly.

But that's also one of the things the BBC are trying to figure out and the one of the reasons they haven't yet got a permanent 4k schedule.
Old 16-02-2019, 12:05   #1026
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Or are they waiting to see if UHD really does take off before throwing more money at it?
I think the majority of people aren't that bothered
Well, if you go into John Lewis, the vast number of UHD TVs for sale may surprise you. Most of the sets displayed in our branch are now UHD. As people need to replace their existing sets for the main room, this really is the choice that there is.

I do think a great many people are interested in UHD and HDR - these will be the most common TV sets in the future. It's not the same as 3D - I could never see that taking off because of the need to wear those ridiculous glasses.

The next big thing will be 8K, and that is unlikely to be as popular because the picture improvement that goes with it is only noticeable on the really massive screens.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Very true, I think Bloodline is on Netflix as well.
Yes, it is, I enjoyed watching Bloodline.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 12:11   #1027
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

As Ben has said, there are advantages in having a good UHD/HDR TV even without UHD material broadcast to it
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 13:42   #1028
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

There were quite a few people who thought that owning an HD screen was all they needed for HD in its early years, just as some thought owning an LCD slim screen meant they were watching digital TV, when they were watching analogue. Additionally those sets that upscaled to HD did often did a good enough job that their owners were already pleased, many just liked having proper widescreen for the first time as it coincided with them getting digital for the first time.

I know we were perfectly content with Pace/SA/Samsung cable boxes with SD through SCART such was the quality of the job of the upscaling my Sony HD screen did. We did notice the difference when we eventually got a V+HD but there weren't many HD channels, and that box upscaled SD well on all the other channels, as did the Tivo and now the V6. Most of the HD I saw for years was Blu-ray films via my PS3.

My point being many people bought HD capable screens because of they wanted slim screens, or larger screens, or widescreen, because they needed one with a digital tuner for switchover (and not with a HD tuner, only SD digital tuners were on the market). There was a long time where the market had virtually no HD channels, particularly free channels despite the shops being exclusively slim LCD televisions and yet people were still happy with the advances they brought.

Don't get me wrong I love the picture on these UHD store demos, but we don't have room for them, and hearing people saying you don't notice much unless you have a certain size and you have to be a certain distance to get any benefit, we're in no rush. We purposely didn't get a UHD screen when our last HD TV died as we didn't have any UHD equipment/sources, and there was no point buying into a technology with undecided standards i.e. HDR.

I wouldn't be surprised if most people with UHD TVs are quite content with the upscaling of HD, that's likely what most of their entertainment consumption is.

I would like a UHD screen eventually, but it would mainly for gaming.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 16-02-2019 at 13:46.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 14:13   #1029
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I've not been overly impressed with HDR so far if I'm honest in fact I've watched some in HDR on my TV's app and then tried the title in UHD on my Sky Q box and thought the picture better without the HDR.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 14:58   #1030
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
I've not been overly impressed with HDR so far if I'm honest in fact I've watched some in HDR on my TV's app and then tried the title in UHD on my Sky Q box and thought the picture better without the HDR.
What TV do you have? Even with HDR just because a TV supports it doesn't mean it's very good at it!

I've got the Nu8000 from Samsung and it's OK for HDR. Not great but not rubbish. I think you really need a TV that's capable of full local dimming and that can get to 1500 nits or higher to get into great looking HDR.
Old 16-02-2019, 15:22   #1031
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Sony XF90.

To be fair Ben its only Netflix and Amazon I've tried HDR content with.

Don't get me wrong the set provides a pretty damn good picture but I'm not blown away with the HDR I've seen so far.

Last edited by muppetman11; 16-02-2019 at 15:26.
Old 16-02-2019, 19:35   #1032
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Sony XF90.

To be fair Ben its only Netflix and Amazon I've tried HDR content with.

Don't get me wrong the set provides a pretty damn good picture but I'm not blown away with the HDR I've seen so far.
If you have the latest consoles then they support HDR and on my PS4 Pro it is fantastic.
Old 17-02-2019, 08:47   #1033
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

If you are not getting a massive difference when HDR is on - then the tv setup is is wrong.
But also some assets themselves will not have the 'wow' factor.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 20:56   #1034
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
If you are not getting a massive difference when HDR is on - then the tv setup is is wrong.
But also some assets themselves will not have the 'wow' factor.
Many people are reporting Netflix HDR is to dark , one example is Ozark.
Old 25-03-2019, 21:11   #1035
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Many people are reporting Netflix HDR is to dark , one example is Ozark.
ive got a samsung uhd tv and the HDR on amazon prime just looks dull.
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote