Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 27-02-2008, 14:04   #241
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media Ad Deal [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Another reason to dump VM, when will people learn.
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2008, 14:42   #242
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja View Post
Another reason to dump VM, when will people learn.
However, BT and Carphone Warehouse are already trialling, with Sky considering it.
Old 27-02-2008, 15:33   #243
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
However, BT and Carphone Warehouse are already trialling, with Sky considering it.
Source? (Sky considering that is).
Old 27-02-2008, 16:03   #244
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads

I would also like to know the source.

Actually it makes sense for Sky to consider and reject. If and when there is a data leak scandal it would give them both the opportunity and ability through press associations to exploit the scandal fully with a told you so added angle.
Old 27-02-2008, 17:53   #245
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

According to El Reg: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...a_summer_2007/

BT have been doing this as early as last summer in secret... Makes for interesting reading

Edit: According to The Reg, Phorm have or are approaching all UK ISPs to get them to sign them up for this...
Old 27-02-2008, 18:29   #246
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
According to El Reg: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...a_summer_2007/

BT have been doing this as early as last summer in secret... Makes for interesting reading

Edit: According to The Reg, Phorm have or are approaching all UK ISPs to get them to sign them up for this...
That is a hell of a difference from "Sky are considering it" though (assuming that's what your edit refers too after Stuart C's comment.)

I get salesman at the door sometimes but it doesn't mean i consider buying anything.
Old 27-02-2008, 18:36   #247
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
That is a hell of a difference from "Sky are considering it" though (assuming that's what your edit refers too after Stuart C's comment.)
No it doesn't. But let's say they might consider it, that would be *another* reason for you to ditch them and then perhaps you can 'learn' with the rest of us can't you?, as you put it earlier.
Old 27-02-2008, 18:39   #248
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

I get salesman at the door sometimes but it doesn't mean i consider buying anything.
Indeed, I don't think Sky are that daft.....that said though they make hardly anything from their BB products, so they may well see it as a viable option if the current uproar dies down.
Old 27-02-2008, 18:45   #249
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I WILL dump virgin for ALL my products if this goes ahead and is OPT OUT not OPT IN, However if BT have been selling private data without informing there customers then i would not put it past Virgin to do that as well ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 27-02-2008, 18:47   #250
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Indeed, I don't think Sky are that daft.....that said though they make hardly anything from their BB products, so they may well see it as a viable option if the current uproar dies down.
I don't think it will die down unless one of several things happen..

Virgin Media announce they are not to commence any form of data tracking analysis and then sell this information on to a third party for further monetary gain.

If they do announce that they are doing this or some form of information comes out that they have commenced it, they need to apply the option that this is an 'Opt in' facility and not an 'Opt out' one.
Old 27-02-2008, 18:50   #251
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No it doesn't. But let's say they might consider it, that would be *another* reason for you to ditch them and then perhaps you can 'learn' with the rest of us can't you?, as you put it earlier.
So your argument is that although Sky are not currently considering this (as far as we are aware), or traffic shaping etc that i should pretend they are so that i can dump them and move to somebody like, say, VM who are actually doing this and charging more for the privilege?

I've got to say, brilliant idea my man, truly brilliant.
Old 27-02-2008, 18:59   #252
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
So your argument is that although Sky are not currently considering this, or traffic shaping etc that i should pretend they are so that i can dump them and move to somebody like, say, VM who are actually doing this and charging more for the privilege?
That would be some argument you have invented on a whim because I certainly haven't said anything of the sort. Although...

...It really goes to show that you don't take anything in, Virgin Media are not currently doing this for the moment, they haven't decided to start this yet. If you actually bother to take in what is being said to you and not interpret some invented crap and make up some arguement to suit your own one sided agenda, you might actually be someone worth having a debate with.
Old 27-02-2008, 19:37   #253
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Source? (Sky considering that is).
Guardian article linked a few pages back.
Old 27-02-2008, 19:46   #254
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Guardian article linked a few pages back.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...bt.virginmedia

Your spinning it, the quote is:-

Quote:
Ertugrul said Phorm is talking to all the UK's ISPs and has also initiated talks in the other countries, including in the US, about OIX.
Absolutely no direct mention of Sky in that article, your inferring that as they are talking to "all ISP's" that Sky are concidering it.

Naughty, Naughty...

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Quote:
That would be some argument you have invented on a whim because I certainly haven't said anything of the sort. Although...

...It really goes to show that you don't take anything in, Virgin Media are not currently doing this for the moment, they haven't decided to start this yet. If you actually bother to take in what is being said to you and not interpret some invented crap and make up some arguement to suit your own one sided agenda, you might actually be someone worth having a debate with.
Aye, that's right Mick, your right and im wrong again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbZDjnWtK1A
Old 27-02-2008, 19:53   #255
Stuart
-

Quote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...bt.virginmedia

Your spinning it, the quote is:-

Absolutely no direct mention of Sky in that article, your inferring that as they are talking to "all ISP's" that Sky are concidering it.

Naughty, Naughty...
I did read that Sky were considering it.

Anyhow, if you aren't interested in this companies actions, why post in a thread about it? Unless you just want to use it to further your anti-vm agenda.
Closed Thread