Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 21-11-2018, 13:08   #3511
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It can be done however fast the political will wants it. Even if it's a big bill although I suspect all you need to do is revoke the previous bill in it's entirety. Unless there are other complications you could probably fit the wording into a single page.

The obstacle to stopping Brexit isn't time or Parliamentary procedures but the political will.
But are you really saying that Theresa May would go for it? Of course she wouldn't - it wouldn't make sense for her to do so and she would definitely lose her credibility entirely if she did.

My view is that the deal will probably pass, but a no-deal is what we'd have if it did not.

The only joker I can see in this pack is if the rejection of the deal panics the EU and they come back to offer us something better!

---------- Post added at 13:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Theresa May is on the Parliamentary record as acknowledging the possibility of no Brexit at all if they vote her deal down.

If I’m expected to trust a former Prime Minister on another continent then I’m sure our Prime Minister can be trusted to know this.
As I said before, this seems to have been a ruse to make her Brexiteer rivals think again. It may have worked.
Advertisement
Old 21-11-2018, 13:12   #3512
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

You’d assume our Parliamentarians would see through such an obvious ruse if there wasn’t time to implement a reversal of the EU Withdrawal Act.
Old 21-11-2018, 13:13   #3513
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
But are you really saying that Theresa May would go for it? Of course she wouldn't - it wouldn't make sense for her to do so and she would definitely lose her credibility entirely if she did.
No I am just saying it's technically possible.
Old 21-11-2018, 13:17   #3514
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
No I am just saying it's technically possible.
I agree. But it's not politically possible if Theresa May and her government want to continue to win elections. The electorate would never forgive her for that and she knows it.

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Quote:
You’d assume our Parliamentarians would see through such an obvious ruse if there wasn’t time to implement a reversal of the EU Withdrawal Act.
She was making the point. There is no way Theresa May would risk losing all credibility if she were to take that route. It will not happen, as you will see very soon now.
Old 21-11-2018, 13:19   #3515
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

interesting few days ahead to see how her meetings with the EU go
Old 21-11-2018, 13:22   #3516
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
interesting few days ahead to see how her meetings with the EU go
And more time for Rees Mogg to get his imaginary 48 letters.
Old 21-11-2018, 13:27   #3517
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Theresa May has little electoral credibility anyway. She’s got nothing to lose. As a one nation Conservative who believes in doing the right thing for the country you are relying on her to implement a policy she doesn’t agree with.
Old 21-11-2018, 13:31   #3518
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree. But it's not politically possible if Theresa May and her government want to continue to win elections. The electorate would never forgive her for that and she knows it..
I certainly don't think it's possible without a referendum which I think is unlikely. More likely is to kick the can down the road.
Old 21-11-2018, 13:47   #3519
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I certainly don't think it's possible without a referendum which I think is unlikely. More likely is to kick the can down the road.
So vassal state for XXX years then?
Old 21-11-2018, 13:50   #3520
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And more time for Rees Mogg to get his imaginary 48 letters.
Letters can be withdrawn as well. He might end up with only one letter ! MPs are fickle and go with the tide.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
So vassal state for XXX years then?
Can't believe anybody would think a vassal state is better than what we've got atm. It's a lose lose all round no matter which way you voted.
Old 21-11-2018, 13:56   #3521
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Letters can be withdrawn as well. He might end up with only one letter ! MPs are fickle and go with the tide.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Can't believe anybody would think a vassal state is better than what we've got atm. It's a lose lose all round no matter which way you voted.
exactly no deal the PM could get would be better that what we got at moment with our Veto and all our opt outs we got
Old 21-11-2018, 14:48   #3522
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I smell something cynical. Recalling that TM said that there may be no Brexit at all if her deal was rejected by Parliament, I think she knows that an amendment to the Bill that would be debated as part of the meaningful vote would be the calling of a second Referendum.

To my mind, the only questions on the Referendum should then be deal or no deal (not remain or leave which is the rat I smell). We had the remain/leave referendum in 2016.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 21-11-2018, 15:52   #3523
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
exactly no deal the PM could get would be better that what we got at moment with our Veto and all our opt outs we got
What vetoes and opt outs? So much is done by qualified majority voting.

We had an opt-out(Maastricht treaty) on the "Working Time Directive", but the EU foisted it upon us by the back door.
Old 21-11-2018, 16:19   #3524
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I smell something cynical. Recalling that TM said that there may be no Brexit at all if her deal was rejected by Parliament, I think she knows that an amendment to the Bill that would be debated as part of the meaningful vote would be the calling of a second Referendum.

To my mind, the only questions on the Referendum should then be deal or no deal (not remain or leave which is the rat I smell). We had the remain/leave referendum in 2016.

I’ve been saying this for days now.
Old 21-11-2018, 16:30   #3525
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I’ve been saying this for days now.
I agree with quite a lot of what you say.

My advice is at your risk.
Closed Thread