Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 15-02-2012, 20:33   #916
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroboi View Post
Yeah i've seen someone else say that too. VMMG300 will become obsolete though when they start to bond more than 4 channels.
No it wont. You may not be able to get 120meg at all times if you are in a congested area, but the 4 channels can easily support the speeds.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2012, 18:20   #917
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

By obsolete, i meant to say that surely Virgin will be replacing them with units which can support the speeds at all times on all 8 channels.

---

On a different note, i received an e-mail off Jon Jones today who is the executive director of the broadband division at Virgin Media.

---

Dear *********

Thank you for your email to Neil raising concerns about latency and jitter performance on your 50Mb service. I run our broadband product and Neil has asked me to respond.

Please rest assured that we do take latency and jitter performance seriously, not least given their importance to the gaming community.

The most reliable analysis, in our view, comes from Ofcom which reports on both measures in its bi-annual speed performance report. The latest report, published earlier this month, showed that on average, latency on our 50Mbit/s service (19ms) is better than ADSL (21-36ms) and comparable with BT Infinity (18ms). And similarly on downstream jitter, our 50Mbit/s service (0.25ms) is better than ADSL (0.50-0.80ms) and comparable to BT Infinity (0.30ms).

As a Virgin Company, we are always looking at ways to improve services for our customers; specifically, we are currently working to further improve latency and jitter performance ... both the overall average and for the small minority of customers experiencing significantly belowperformance.

However, your experience is clearly in the latter category and out of line with our national performance .... I am particularly concerned that you have noticed your performance deteriorate over the past few months.

I would like to get one of my team to look into your specific broadband connection, to ensure there is no local congestion or other technical issues. If you could send me your customer account number and postcode, then we can investigate further and arrange a tech visit if necessary.

Thank you again for getting in touch and my apologies that you are experiencing poor service. I hope we can resolve rapidly.

Yours sincerely,

Jon James
Executive Director, Broadband
Virgin Media

---

This is probably just a standard response given that he decided to throw the cherry picked ofcom results in there, but i kindly sent him a small portfolio of jittery virgin media customer's think broadband graphs shown alongside some BT infinity customers in a reply.

Nothing will probably get done but.. meh, you have to try i suppose. At least he took the time to respond!
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 18:29   #918
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

i like they way they dont mention upstream jitter
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 18:37   #919
boroboi
cf.geek

boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Indeed, there's always a loophole or a way to manipulate something to look in your favour.
Old 16-02-2012, 18:41   #920
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

are you still in contract? if not reply with the address of BT Infinity
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 18:44   #921
boroboi
cf.geek

I am indeed, BT Infinity isn't available in my area yet, not sure when it will be but give TS10 a try.
Old 16-02-2012, 18:44   #922
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Those are some cherry picked figures. What he dosent mention is that at peak ADSL beats VM's jitter and that 30meg cable has less jitter than 50meg.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 18:46   #923
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I am indeed, BT Infinity isn't available in my area yet, not sure when it will be but give TS10 a try.
http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...map/index.html
Old 16-02-2012, 19:00   #924
boroboi
cf.geek

Funily enough, a small town near me has it, yet mine being bigger, doesn't haha. Ah well. Not on the roadmap either. Drat.
Old 16-02-2012, 19:08   #925
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
Funily enough, a small town near me has it, yet mine being bigger, doesn't haha. Ah well. Not on the roadmap either. Drat.
have you called up or spoken to an agent via BT's site to check for sure? toy around on the site, an agent window message should appear auto asking whether you need help
Old 16-02-2012, 19:28   #926
boroboi
cf.geek

i didn't see any of that on there, or when i took a look especially. I haven't called them, im only just half way through a 12 month atm anyway.
Old 16-02-2012, 19:44   #927
thenry
Inactive

VM price increase can get you out of contract. thats if you can get infinity

chat with them via...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact#h...U2MzgsNTYzOSJ9
Old 16-02-2012, 20:04   #928
boroboi
cf.geek

Is that so?

I've just spoken to a guy on their chat app you linked me to. He's going to ring me tomorrow and connect me to their team who will provide me more info.
Old 16-02-2012, 21:02   #929
thenry
Inactive

yup. theres massive thread(s) on here confirming bye bye VM/price increase. Good luck with your call back
Old 17-02-2012, 11:40   #930
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Pretty funny anomaly like considering every virgin connection i've seen has jitter between 10 and 20ms and max spikes from 20 to 60 and 80ms, sometimes higher... This is a network wide problem and they have to knowledge it sooner or later. We need to pressure them en-mass to fix it otherwise nothing will ever get done.

They advertise the 50mb line as perfect for games. It isn't. The jitter ruins that, and as far as im concerned that's false advertising.
indeed, every physical VM connection I have seen has this "anomaly". Although at varying degrees of severity, I have seen a couple which have almost no jitter off peak but still have it on peak.

the only ones that seem to not have it are some people who post on here. Although that number is declining. eg. seph used to have a perfect connection and his has gone downhill.

The ASA told them to fix it or stop advertising perfect gaming, that was some sort of pressure and that wasnt enough, VM simply instead stopped the perfect gaming ads. For this to be fixed they need a rehaul of their capacity management policy which will likely mean either higher retail prices or the scrapping of unlimited use, since both conflict with VM sales they very unlikely. The rumoured protocol immune shaping seems to have gone dead. My guess is they found it didnt work as well as they had hoped, killing speedtest speeds etc.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Quote:
Yeah i've seen someone else say that too. VMMG300 will become obsolete though when they start to bond more than 4 channels.
yeah, I am not sure why either.

my superhub has noticeble jitter even at 4am and when my graph looks ok (not great but ok). The vmng300 used to not show such jitter unless my graph looked quite a mess. The US channel my vmng300 locks onto has been calmer for a week or so, so I am tempted to get it activated again. The risk is if the channel gets very highly utilised again tho and I wont be able to jump channels. Given its apparently queued time slots that cause jitter it would be logical to assume the modem config is somewhat different on the vmng300 with the way it queues upstream packets.

here is my graph right now, see yesterday was dodgy, then took till 4am for congestion to pretty much go away. Today it got congested before 10am but then suddenly clamed down and today so far is noticebly better than yesterday, with the graph how it is now the jitter is still noticeable at 11.42am.
Attached Images
File Type: png aaa.png (217.2 KB, 13 views)
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote