Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 04-02-2018, 21:35   #256
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
That's Marco Polo isn't it?

I bet some of the scenes are absolutely stunning in HDR.
Correct. Coming soon.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2018, 22:22   #257
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
See post #244.
When the TiVo software becomes available, Netflix will be ready, if not already.
Thank you. Sorry, I missed your picture previously. I take it you're testing the HDR update on your V6 box then?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 22:30   #258
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Thank you. Sorry, I missed your picture previously. I take it you're testing the HDR update on your V6 box then?
I couldn’t possibly say.
Old 19-02-2018, 18:30   #259
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Any update on the HDR update?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 18:33   #260
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Any update on the HDR update?
There is currently a pilot of a new software level which includes HDR. No roll-out plans announced.
Old 19-02-2018, 19:14   #261
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
There is currently a pilot of a new software level which includes HDR. No roll-out plans announced.
Will this provide HDR to UHD TVs without HDR?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 19:30   #262
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Will this provide HDR to UHD TVs without HDR?
How can it provide HDR to a TV that isn't HDR compatible

Last edited by muppetman11; 19-02-2018 at 19:39.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 19:49   #263
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I was not sure whether the V6 boxes were able to upscale the picture to 'near HDR'.
Old 19-02-2018, 19:55   #264
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Maybe OB has been on the.......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 20:05   #265
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Maybe OB has been on the.......
Ha ha! I was thinking along the lines of Dolby Vision. I thought that might be possible.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...compatible-kit

... if you have a TV, Ultra HD Blu ray player, set top box or any other AV device with enough processing power, you could theoretically update it.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 19-02-2018 at 20:30.
Old 20-02-2018, 18:18   #266
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

HDR is not a resolution thing - it is a colour/brightness/darkness thing which is tv dependant

If the tv does not support HDR - then the device will not get HDR source
Quote:
I was not sure whether the V6 boxes were able to upscale the picture to 'near HDR'.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 18:52   #267
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
HDR is not a resolution thing - it is a colour/brightness/darkness thing which is tv dependant

If the tv does not support HDR - then the device will not get HDR source
Some Sony TVs are getting an update that will enable HDR. Mine is a 2016 model, and I'm hopeful I might get an update, but my model no isn't on the list scheduled for the update.

I just wondered if the V6 might do the job, but apparently not.

In the meantime, I've adjusted my picture to 'vivid', which may be as close as I get!
Old 20-02-2018, 19:02   #268
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Some Sony TVs are getting an update that will enable HDR. Mine is a 2016 model, and I'm hopeful I might get an update, but my model no isn't on the list scheduled for the update.

I just wondered if the V6 might do the job, but apparently not.

In the meantime, I've adjusted my picture to 'vivid', which may be as close as I get!
That would burn my eyes out and my TV is full HDR.
Old 24-02-2018, 10:09   #269
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Surely that is just increasing the brightness - which is nothing like HDR does.

On HDR the black is blacker and the white is whiter - and millions of levels in between.
Quote:
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 12:15   #270
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Surely that is just increasing the brightness - which is nothing like HDR does.

On HDR the black is blacker and the white is whiter - and millions of levels in between.
The 'Vivid' setting is certainly not HDR but it has improved the picture. It is brighter, yes, but there are more pronounced colours too. It'll do for the time being.