Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Smart Meter Con

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help me stash my cash!

Old 09-04-2023, 13:40   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Help me stash my cash!

New TAX Year so I'm looking for recommendations for opening a new fixed rate ISA.

Currently have:
Fixed rate ISA from 2022-2023 that I can't add anymore to at a rate of 3.70% interest.
Instant access savings account at a rate of 3.20% interest that holds my emergency fund.

What I want to do is move some savings from my instant access savings account into another high interest fixed rate ISA, this would need to be online accessible via an app.

Any recommendations or should I hold off for a while and hope interest rates increase?
Old 09-04-2023, 15:07   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Help me stash my cash!

https://savingschampion.co.uk/best-b...rate-cash-isas

A stocks and shares isa is worth considering if you're prepared to take a little risk. All cash savings are devaluing due to inflation atm.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 15:27   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2023, 18:21   #4
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Santander have cash ISAs at 4% or just over depending on the term.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 18:31   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Yes saw that from Mr Ks link, I just need to figure out if there is an initial funding time limit because last time I got caught out and they stopped me feeding it in January 2023 even though I only opened it in October 2022.
Old 10-04-2023, 14:05   #6
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Santander have cash ISAs at 4% or just over depending on the term.
The best around from an established bank.

There are some funny new banks, an Indian One and some "sharia" ones -- I am sceptical, despite the gov guarantee.
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 14:24   #7
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post

There are some funny new banks, an Indian One and some "sharia" ones -- I am sceptical, despite the gov guarantee.
The FSCS guarantee is all you need worry about for <£85k. ( unless the UK government goes bust of course!). The bigger banks have bigger over heads and their headline deals don't last long once they've snared enough in.

Premium bonds are also worth considering. For instant access you won't get better atm, depending on your luck of course, and I was very lucky last month
Old 10-04-2023, 15:11   #8
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The FSCS guarantee is all you need worry about for <£85k. ( unless the UK government goes bust of course!). The bigger banks have bigger over heads and their headline deals don't last long once they've snared enough in.

Premium bonds are also worth considering. For instant access you won't get better atm, depending on your luck of course, and I was very lucky last month
I did OK last month as well, in fact the best month in 10 years or so of owning them. Not sure about the stocks and shares ISA's at the moment. I have one of the "safer" ones based more on a higher percentage of bonds and it has tanked over the last 14 months, my son has the riskier high share percentage which is faring somewhat better (but still -ve interest). Can't understand why bonds are suddenly doing so badly when they're normally very reliable. Bit like the mortgage market, seems to have spiralled downwards for inexplicable reasons
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 15:19   #9
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful one

Quote:

Northern Rock falk did not receive their money pronto, the Iceland situation...
Lots of Mickey Mouse banks, yes there is the FSCS guarantee but will you get it next day when they go bust?...will you get your money back from the Bank of India if there is litigation delaying the payment back?

And the Sharia banks, I do not understand the rules, do I need to?

Premium bonds is a no no for me.

Last edited by Ms NTL; 10-04-2023 at 15:22.
Old 10-04-2023, 17:37   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The Coventry and Skipton building societies are also worth a look.

Quote:
Why's that?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 19:15   #11
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
National Savings are the safest place to put your money. Premium Bonds are like the lottery except, win or lose, you get to keep your investment and have better odds of winning something. All relative to inflation though that is killing everyone atm.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
. Not sure about the stocks and shares ISA's at the moment. I have one of the "safer" ones based more on a higher percentage of bonds and it has tanked over the last 14 months, my son has the riskier high share percentage which is faring somewhat better (but still -ve interest).
You need to be prepared to invest for at least 5 years. True they've been hit in the last couple of years, but mine have have averaged 6 to 7% annually over the last 20 years.
Old 13-04-2023, 15:43   #12
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The Coventry and Skipton building societies are also worth a look.
Very useful. Coventry gave me 4.4%. Many thanks.
Old 13-04-2023, 20:31   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Coventry gave me 4.4%
They did? Were you an existing customer?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 06:46   #14
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
They did? Were you an existing customer?
Yes!
Old 14-04-2023, 18:47   #15
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Have add some , since I was born or was it when they first came out, any way some time between 50 and 70 years ! Never won a penny ( old or new)