Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Crisis in the NHS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Crisis in the NHS

Old 02-01-2019, 21:07   #526
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Crisis in the NHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Also what are the stats for those like my parents who payed in and NEVER lived to receive the State Pension? Where did their contributions go?
As Governments tend to spend more money than they receive through taxation, contributors like your parents would have funded day-to-day spending.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2019, 21:16   #527
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
As Governments tend to spend more money than they receive through taxation, contributors like your parents would have funded day-to-day spending.
While that is the case people who lived to be 100 got far more out of it for their contributions. Which is part of the reason it's becoming unsustainable in the long run, but as I said it's political suicide without wholesale reforms to redistribute wealth across the generations on a massive scale.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 21:34   #528
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
While that is the case people who lived to be 100 got far more out of it for their contributions. Which is part of the reason it's becoming unsustainable in the long run, but as I said it's political suicide without wholesale reforms to redistribute wealth across the generations on a massive scale.
So would you take away the state pensions those people have paid into or make it mandatory that they must die at a certain age?

Since they started paying in the NHS and medical research have concentrated on extehding life. That comes at a cost. One of the costs is work for more years like it or not.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 21:56   #529
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So would you take away the state pensions those people have paid into or make it mandatory that they must die at a certain age?

Since they started paying in the NHS and medical research have concentrated on extehding life. That comes at a cost. One of the costs is work for more years like it or not.
Those aren't the sole options for resolving it.

I said 'wholesale reforms to redistribute wealth'- one or two measures wouldn't adequately resolve the problem.

We have one generation who sold off all the state assets for a low tax economy, who have accumulated wealth as a result and we have the other end of the spectrum paying for their own further education (unlikely to ever pay this debt off, so in effect an additional tax throughout their lifetime), struggling to get on the housing ladder, and who is having to pay taxes covering the interest for huge deficits and debts built up by previous generations.

It's not going to be sustainable to tell the second group that they are going to get punished again to cover the excesses of those who went before them.

A first step would be to break the triple lock on State Pension increases and link it to the CPI only - the triple lock is essentially a bribe to that part of the electorate anyway.

Last edited by jfman; 02-01-2019 at 21:59.
Old 02-01-2019, 23:11   #530
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I said 'wholesale reforms to redistribute wealth'- one or two measures wouldn't adequately resolve the problem.

We have one generation who sold off all the state assets for a low tax economy, who have accumulated wealth as a result
Hold on, i’m 48, my wife is 43, both from working class backgrounds. Meaning that they worked. “ working class” seems to have a different meaning nowadays. i pull in a salary of £55K+. Her £130K+. We didn’t receive 1penny from our parents because they didn’t haven’t it. We didn’t get our first home until I was 30. We now, through hard work and good decisions live in a very nice house in the country. With a whopping mortgage that we can service.

So because i’m Doing the right thing you want to distribute my work? That’s what you’re saying...
Old 02-01-2019, 23:21   #531
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Hold on, i’m 48, my wife is 43, both from working class backgrounds. Meaning that they worked. “ working class” seems to have a different meaning nowadays. i pull in a salary of £55K+. Her £130K+. We didn’t receive 1penny from our parents because they didn’t haven’t it. We didn’t get our first home until I was 30. We now, through hard work and good decisions live in a very nice house in the country. With a whopping mortgage that we can service.

So because i’m Doing the right thing you want to distribute my work? That’s what you’re saying...
That's not actually what I said at all. I think you know that as you decided to remove the rest of my post from your quote for the sake of starting an argument.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:11   #532
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Those aren't the sole options for resolving it.

We have one generation who sold off all the state assets for a low tax economy, who have accumulated wealth as a result and we have the other end of the spectrum paying for their own further education (unlikely to ever pay this debt off, so in effect an additional tax throughout their lifetime), struggling to get on the housing ladder, and who is having to pay taxes covering the interest for huge deficits and debts built up by previous generations.

It's not going to be sustainable to tell the second group that they are going to get punished again to cover the excesses of those who went before them.

A first step would be to break the triple lock on State Pension increases and link it to the CPI only - the triple lock is essentially a bribe to that part of the electorate anyway.
I'll be selective too in responding to your contribution.

Regarding the triple lock, it's the first time that a government has recognised the reduced ability of pensioners to stay abreast of inflation. True that many continue working into their seventies and beyond, but they pay tax on that which is obviously fair, and they'll pay tax on their pension increases if they are taking the pension.

On "redistribution of wealth", this usually needs a sledgehammer (of the Corbyn proposition) to bring into effect. That will result in a flight of capital and have the opposite effect of redistributing wealth. It would drain wealth and start a process of levelling everyone into penury.

We are a cog in the World's movement and farting around with the economic model/engine can be counterproductive.

---------- Post added at 08:11 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

Oh - as regards the NHS:

It was fine until about 13 years ago when Gordon Brown got his hands on it. It was fine in the "Emergency Ward 10" days (Pre-Thatcher), when Matron ran the nurses and a Consultant ran the doctors. Now that it's full of managers, accountants and other "Yes Minister" apparatchiks, it is in a spiral of decline.

The NHS needs taking back to its original operating model. The guvmin needs to make a hypothecated contribution model (NI) that is graduated according to your highest tax rate.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:18   #533
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Flight of capital only applies if that’s easy to do. In a post Brexit world if people want to make profits in this country then it will be easier to tax.

The triple lock is a bribe. Nothing less and nothing more.

Last edited by jfman; 03-01-2019 at 09:49.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:22   #534
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
These are the latest figures in given by the DWP of fraud and error in the benefit system.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...-2017-2018.pdf

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

There will be a level of abuse within any system of that there is no doubt but the reality of how much is often replaced by the lazy uninformed uneducated media trash that some form their opinions from..

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

Absolutely as some patients long term medical conditions are never going to improve and only worsen as time goes on and they certainly should have to go through the constant bureaucratic hurdles which they are currently having to face as we have seen with the PIP fiasco.

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

It will cost more more money then it saves.
Exactly.

One thing these figures also miss is the £10 billion or so that is not claimed in the first place.

Whatever system there is creating hoops for the claimants to jump through, the fraudulent claimers will not be the ones affected. After all, they have put a lot of time and effort into making sure their income continues.

The people affected are those who are told they are fit to work, whilst being hooked up to machines to keep them going through their latest cancer treatment. Those who are vulnerable and bewildered by the whole system who end up abused by sharks and the likes of Atos.

The obsession with nit picking over a tiny percentage of benefit claimants, is a distraction from the real problem of a tax system so convoluted that the wealthy can pay a smaller percentage of their income in tax than the poorest.

Meanwhile the other beneficiaries are private companies being paid for gash assessments, which long term cause so much misery.

Tax evasion is a far bigger loss to government finances than fraudulent benefit claims.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:02   #535
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Regarding the triple lock, it's the first time that a government has recognised the reduced ability of pensioners to stay abreast of inflation. True that many continue working into their seventies and beyond, but they pay tax on that which is obviously fair, and they'll pay tax on their pension increases if they are taking the pension.

On "redistribution of wealth", this usually needs a sledgehammer (of the Corbyn proposition) to bring into effect. That will result in a flight of capital and have the opposite effect of redistributing wealth. It would drain wealth and start a process of levelling everyone into penury.

We are a cog in the World's movement and farting around with the economic model/engine can be counterproductive.

Oh - as regards the NHS:

It was fine until about 13 years ago when Gordon Brown got his hands on it. It was fine in the "Emergency Ward 10" days (Pre-Thatcher), when Matron ran the nurses and a Consultant ran the doctors. Now that it's full of managers, accountants and other "Yes Minister" apparatchiks, it is in a spiral of decline.

The NHS needs taking back to its original operating model. The guvmin needs to make a hypothecated contribution model (NI) that is graduated according to your highest tax rate.

You ignore the fact that the NHS has had to change to due advances in medical research and new treatments which help people survive conditions which would have been terminal before, and that people are living longer, which takes more resources.

In the 1970’s (pre-Thatcher), premature births before 27 weeks had a 80% mortality rate, now it’s 89% survival rate (unfortunately, often with ongoing medical needs).

Cancer survival rates has greatly increased, but with the associated costs.

Survival from serious accidents has greatly increased (the "golden hour"), but again, at increased costs and often ongoing medical care.

Comparing the NHS in the 70s and now is like comparing a motor car factory in the 70s and now - different needs, progress has happened, more complex and and highly technical support is often required, and things are done differently because it’s a different world.

In 1970, the U.K. child mortality rate was 21.8 per 100,00 births, now it’s 3.7. Cancer survival rates (10 year) have doubled since 1970, and in the 70s, most premature births of under 25 weeks were left to die, nowadays most survive.

Trying to retrofit what one worked under different circumstances very rarely works.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 21:37   #536
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Oh - as regards the NHS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You ignore the fact that the NHS has had to change to due advances in medical research and new treatments which help people survive conditions which would have been terminal before, and that people are living longer, which takes more resources.

In the 1970’s (pre-Thatcher), premature births before 27 weeks had a 80% mortality rate, now it’s 89% survival rate (unfortunately, often with ongoing medical needs).

Cancer survival rates has greatly increased, but with the associated costs.

Survival from serious accidents has greatly increased (the "golden hour"), but again, at increased costs and often ongoing medical care.

Comparing the NHS in the 70s and now is like comparing a motor car factory in the 70s and now - different needs, progress has happened, more complex and and highly technical support is often required, and things are done differently because it’s a different world.

In 1970, the U.K. child mortality rate was 21.8 per 100,00 births, now it’s 3.7. Cancer survival rates (10 year) have doubled since 1970, and in the 70s, most premature births of under 25 weeks were left to die, nowadays most survive.

Trying to retrofit what one worked under different circumstances very rarely works.
The facts you describe are not in dispute.

It's the way the NHS is run, particularly at hospital level, front line, that I am criticising. Sure technical specialists are required in addition to clinical staff but in my dealings with the NHS, I sense too high an administrative burden which reduces the money available for midwives, district nurses and all the services we enjoyed in that way 20 years ag,.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:31   #537
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The facts you describe are not in dispute.

It's the way the NHS is run, particularly at hospital level, front line, that I am criticising. Sure technical specialists are required in addition to clinical staff but in my dealings with the NHS, I sense too high an administrative burden which reduces the money available for midwives, district nurses and all the services we enjoyed in that way 20 years ag,.

The difference with Midwives and District Nurses is down to how GPs are funded separately from the rest of the NHS. GP services are increasingly run by private companies, who are squeezing out the traditional family doctor service. More and more areas are having to fight to keep local surgeries due to funding issues coupled with problems getting GPs. One local area has no GP service at all due to the Private company pulling out, with no one else willing to take it on. In a town that has tripled in size this causes a huge strain on the remaining Health Centres.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:36   #538
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

How can we fill these nursing vacancies?
Quote:
There are 41,000 nursing vacancies in England. More than 5 per cent of NHS nurses come from the EEA, but last year there was an 87 per cent fall in the number coming to the UK, according to the Nursing and Midwifery Council. A recent report by the National Institute of Economic and Social Research estimated that, by 2021, England could face a shortage of 51,000 nurses.
https://www.ft.com/content/8f2d6e22-...5-04b8afea6ea3
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:49   #539
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
How can we fill these nursing vacancies?

https://www.ft.com/content/8f2d6e22-...5-04b8afea6ea3
Not helped by the cut to nursing bursaries, meaning even fewer are joining the profession.
Old 06-01-2019, 13:08   #540
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Not helped by the cut to nursing bursaries, meaning even fewer are joining the profession.
https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-even...een-a-disaster
Quote:
Two years on from the removal of the NHS student bursary, applications to nursing degree courses have plummeted by a third in England.

Numbers applying to begin training in September 2018 have dropped 12% compared to the same time last year, resulting in a total decline of 16,580 since March 2016, the last year students received financial support through the bursary.

The fall in mature student numbers has been even more extreme, with a 16% drop by the June application deadline compared to the same point last year, and a total decline of 40% since June 2016.

Janet Davies, RCN Chief Executive, said: “Failing to recruit more nurses puts patients at risk, and with 40,000 nurse vacancies in England alone, we cannot sit back and watch applications fall year on year. It is clear now that removing the bursary has been a disaster. It is time ministers looked again at this policy, before patients suffer the consequences.

“On top of the serious decline in overall nursing applications, the 40% drop in mature students applying to study nursing is a particular concern. These students represent a vital part of the nursing workforce, particularly in mental health and learning disabilities. It is these areas that benefit most from the life experience mature students bring, and where the shortage of nurses is most keenly felt.”

The independent NHS Pay Review Body (PRB) warned this workforce gap could persist until 2027 unless immediate action is taken, jeopardising patient care for much of the next decade. In its official report to the Government last month, the PRB told ministers the removal of the nursing bursary had resulted in a marked drop in applications.
Lack of "joined-up" thinking...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote