Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All F1 2005 Discussions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

All F1 2005 Discussions

Old 13-03-2005, 19:07   #16
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society
Re: Formula 1

yes not showing the qualifying is really bad.. they have ITV 1,2 and 3 now so instead of showing to repeated programs on IVt 2 and ITV3 they can show it on there
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2005, 19:15   #17
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

I seriously wonder if it is being removed from all tv broadcasts is what F1 people want.

Because if this is there offer what we have now on ITV, then it is no wonder figures are dropping.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 19:19   #18
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Being as Formula 1 is supposed to be about good driving not cars, I still think the best way to settle it, is to have a standard engine, transmission, drivetrain and tyres (fixed pitstops as well?). Everyone gets the same, so the only difference would be the driver... Then we'll see who is the best driver.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 19:29   #19
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

to be fair on ITV they aren't the only broadcaster who isn't showing the second session but they might be one fo the few that has a choice of three channels to show it on..

the thing that is stupid is that now a casual viewer will watch qualifying on Saturday and then when the race starts there will be a different grid and they won't know why

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Being as Formula 1 is supposed to be about good driving not cars, I still think the best way to settle it, is to have a standard engine, transmission, drivetrain and tyres (fixed pitstops as well?). Everyone gets the same, so the only difference would be the driver... Then we'll see who is the best driver.
yes i agree it needs to go back to be more about the driver but having standard parts, cars, engines etc isn't what formula 1 is all about.. you need to have the tecnhology and different manufacturers in there but the FIA needs to do it's job and control this better..

what they need to do is go back to no tyre stops and no refueling that way the only way to pass someone in on the track and not in the pits..

the other thing that needs to be done is get rid of all the sensors on the cars.. there are so many that they can overrule the driver now and a bad driver with a good engineer can go through all the data and still end up with a quick car and win a race..

with no sensors it's down to the driver skill.. also without the sensors they can't tell what the car is doing and so you can't have traction control, etc
Old 13-03-2005, 19:33   #20
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
what they need to do is go back to no tyre stops and no refueling that way the only way to pass someone in on the track and not in the pits..
That would be very interesting, to see how cars react carrying enough fuel for the whole race. I suspect that extra weigh wold mean you have to be a great driver
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 20:07   #21
keithwalton
Inactive

keithwalton has reached the bronze age
keithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze agekeithwalton has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Imho there are numpty other formulas that do exactly that. Having some diversification is what makes f1 different from the rest.
The race itself was rather dull but itv's coverage makes it much much worse. I'm not to fussed about the adverts but that pillock they've got for a commentator otherwise known as james allan, should go back to reporting from the pits and stay there. and as for the pre race coverage at melbourne was farcical. They spent twice as long bantering on about webber visiting a cricket stadium than showing qualy 2
The grid walk was also short because of the pointless banter. ITV's f1 team needs to take a serious look at how ITV's wrc team run there show, currently the wrc coverage is 1000x better. Pointless speculation is almost non existant, they have specials that are about rallying for one thing. In todays coverage they had one of the commentators take a marshalls safety car around the stage, showing both what the safety car does AND what a stage in mexico is like bit for that. Intermixed with that they had solid coverage of the stages with commentators that a) knew what they were talking about and b) interesting to listen to.
Somehow they managed to squeeze 3 days of rallying into an hours worth of show (1hr 1/2 for mexico as its normal coverage slot was just before the start of the 3rd day)
keithwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2005, 20:21   #22
lemarsh
cf.geek

lemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of light

Personally, I am disappointed with ITV's coverage in Australia. Given it was in the middle of the night - and they have 3 ITV channels - I see no reason why Q2 could not have been shown. It is more important than Q1.

Personally, I have no problem with the ITV Team (Jim R should never have been given it, should have got Steve Ryder back from the BBC).

What would really be good (but goes sort of back to Sky F1) - would be an ITV F1 channel - which showed all practise & Qualyfying, along with no ITV adverts. The could use the same transmission as ITV1 (I believe that Australia and some others take an ITV feed). I for 1 would pay a fee for it.
Old 14-03-2005, 18:02   #23
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarsh

What would really be good (but goes sort of back to Sky F1) - would be an ITV F1 channel - which showed all practise & Qualyfying, along with no ITV adverts. The could use the same transmission as ITV1 (I believe that Australia and some others take an ITV feed). I for 1 would pay a fee for it.
Good idea in priciple, howver I would not pay for it, F1 has just become so montonous and predictable of late.

I am hoping that it will become more interesting this season however with the new rules personally I thought Australia was a bit bland.

Besides, was there not already an F1 channel on sky?
Old 15-03-2005, 12:13   #24
sherer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuftus
Good idea in priciple, howver I would not pay for it, F1 has just become so montonous and predictable of late.

I am hoping that it will become more interesting this season however with the new rules personally I thought Australia was a bit bland.

Besides, was there not already an F1 channel on sky?
the channel Sky had was the digital channel that you had to subscibe to.. you could select camera angles etc just like with footie.. Bernie put loads of money into this and it never really took off.. they didn't get the numbers they wanted so it was axed..

only why you might be able to get all the sessions would be to get RTL, TF1 etc then might be able to see them on the foreign channels.. you can go to Formula1.com and see the timing screens live but not quite the same thing..

Next race this weekend and I will be on holiday damm..

Still don't think we learn enough from Oz to see how the season will go.. might have to wait till the proper 05 Ferrari is raced until we know for sure how things are looking
Old 15-03-2005, 12:31   #25
Tuftus

Quote:
the channel Sky had was the digital channel that you had to subscibe to.. you could select camera angles etc just like with footie.. Bernie put loads of money into this and it never really took off.. they didn't get the numbers they wanted so it was axed..
Ahh thats what happened to it hey?

This is precisely why I would not pay, there are only so many angles you can watch a procession from

Quote:
Still don't think we learn enough from Oz to see how the season will go.. might have to wait till the proper 05 Ferrari is raced until we know for sure how things are looking
I hope you are right...
Old 27-03-2005, 10:19   #26
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: Formula One Motor Racing

It looks like Uncle Bernie is having his fingers slowly prised off his baby.

article
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 22:29   #27
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

A step to "avoid the disaster of two championships" - why avoid it?

Of course, two championships would be unlikely to continue, a new one would either oust the existing championship and managemant, or fail against it - some new blood, and some ideas other than annual rule changes are sorely needed.

Or maybe F1 has just out-evolved itself - it was always a technology race, and by the time the idiots decided to block a technology, it was already filtering down to the lower teams.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2005, 18:00   #28
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

It's just not Bernie's week.

article
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:05   #29
sherer
Inactive

ok at the start of the season the FIA said engines had to last 2 races..if the engine failed or was changed then you got a 10 place penalty for the next race

At the first rae the wto BARs withdrew before the end of the race so that they could start Malaysia with a new engine. Also Schey and Heidfeld had a nwe engine for Malaysia as they both crashed.

In the second race both BARs failed to finish due to engine failure.

For the Bahrain GP both BARs had new engines and also Schuey had a new car and engine. None of these drivers had a 10 place grid penalty. Why ?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:45   #30
homealone

Quote:
ok at the start of the season the FIA said engines had to last 2 races..if the engine failed or was changed then you got a 10 place penalty for the next race

At the first rae the wto BARs withdrew before the end of the race so that they could start Malaysia with a new engine. Also Schey and Heidfeld had a nwe engine for Malaysia as they both crashed.

In the second race both BARs failed to finish due to engine failure.

For the Bahrain GP both BARs had new engines and also Schuey had a new car and engine. None of these drivers had a 10 place grid penalty. Why ?
good question - as far as I know the situation with BAR was a loophole they exploited, that has since been closed, effectively they got a new engine without penalty, because they didn't complete the race.

With Shumi & Heidfeld I don't know, Shumi's car was new, but are you sure it was a different engine??

the glimpse of A1 racing shown on 'fifth gear' last night looked interesting, 450bhp engines, slick tyres, no driver aids, but plenty of downforce. It is like a relaunch of F3000. Worth keeping an eye out for in September.