Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 24-12-2020, 23:33   #1441
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
See Dr who is going to be in 4k via I player .any one know if virgin are showing on uhd channel?
No, it will be UHD on the BBC I-player. There is no BBC UHD channel and I am sure the BBC won’t permit it to be shown on the Virgin Ultra HD channel - nice thought, though!

https://www.tvbeurope.com/media-cons...able-in-4k-hdr
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-12-2020, 00:54   #1442
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, it will be UHD on the BBC I-player. There is no BBC UHD channel and I am sure the BBC won’t permit it to be shown on the Virgin Ultra HD channel - nice thought, though!

i remember when the BBC was ahead of the game on new tech. no linear channel is unforgivable. although iplayer is far more suited to streaming non live entertainment than it is sport.
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 11:06   #1443
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I don't agree around the need for a linear channel for BBC UHD. If you can guarantee that your customers can get it, then it makes sense.

When the BBC introduced HD, it was technically available across cable, satellite and terrestrial. But for the BBC not everyone has access to cable or satellite, and UHD isn't possible on Freeview.

In practice anyone who wants to access UHD content is likely to have access to the kit required to get it via a streaming method. Therefore doing via iPlayer is platform agnostic i.e. you can get it via a paid provider STB or via a built in app on a Smart TV or streaming stick. The only issue
Old 26-12-2020, 06:01   #1444
awesometeeth
cf.addict

awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I don't agree around the need for a linear channel for BBC UHD. If you can guarantee that your customers can get it, then it makes sense.

When the BBC introduced HD, it was technically available across cable, satellite and terrestrial. But for the BBC not everyone has access to cable or satellite, and UHD isn't possible on Freeview.

In practice anyone who wants to access UHD content is likely to have access to the kit required to get it via a streaming method. Therefore doing via iPlayer is platform agnostic i.e. you can get it via a paid provider STB or via a built in app on a Smart TV or streaming stick. The only issue
"it makes sense" says the person whose clearly never missed a goal because the stream buffered. its inherently flawed and a nice way to make sure the bbc looks second rate compared to BT and sky. by all means use it as a cover for those who dont have access to a linear channel, but for everything else, its just saving money and not able to deliver.
Old 26-12-2020, 12:09   #1445
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometeeth View Post
"it makes sense" says the person whose clearly never missed a goal because the stream buffered. its inherently flawed and a nice way to make sure the bbc looks second rate compared to BT and sky. by all means use it as a cover for those who dont have access to a linear channel, but for everything else, its just saving money and not able to deliver.

Yes, even OB admitted that streaming is not really ready for Sport whether in UHD, HD or SD
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 12:27   #1446
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I am the first to agree that there is some work yet to be done to ensure that streaming live sport becomes acceptable. We will get there in time, and hopefully not too long.

As I recall it, we had problems when analogue became digital (buffering, pausing, braking up of picture, etc), and when we first got HD broadcasts (much the same). No such problems now, though, are there?

Similarly, I would expect all those live streaming problems to be sorted within a few years.
Old 26-12-2020, 14:33   #1447
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

I thought I said it was on the I player. My question which Ben answered was .it going to be on the uhd feed on virgin .

Last edited by Hugh; 26-12-2020 at 18:15.
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 16:56   #1448
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.tvbeurope.com/media-cons...able-in-4k-hdr[/ QUOTEI thought I said it was on the I player. My question which Ben answered was .it going to be on the uhd feed on virgin .
Yes you did, and I responded that it would not be a BBC UHD channel (which is the question you actually asked), but only on the I-Player.

Last edited by Hugh; 26-12-2020 at 18:16.
Old 29-12-2020, 01:11   #1449
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Quote:
I am the first to agree that there is some work yet to be done to ensure that streaming live sport becomes acceptable. We will get there in time, and hopefully not too long.

As I recall it, we had problems when analogue became digital (buffering, pausing, braking up of picture, etc), and when we first got HD broadcasts (much the same). No such problems now, though, are there?

Similarly, I would expect all those live streaming problems to be sorted within a few years.
you weren't using a delivery system out of your hands back then though.

the problem today is that it relies on the internet, which isnt just a single pipe into the home for TV. thats even assuming you can get 40mbs solidly in the first place.

if it were the only choice, fair enough, but its a decision made for whatever reason, cost I assume, but its a self defeating solution. people are used to eurosport being able to transmit on a linear channel in 4k, the BBC should of course be able to as well. but the bbc is dead anyway, killed off by the slow death of a thousand cuts so no one really minds its demise.
Old 29-12-2020, 09:46   #1450
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometeeth View Post
you weren't using a delivery system out of your hands back then though.

the problem today is that it relies on the internet, which isnt just a single pipe into the home for TV. thats even assuming you can get 40mbs solidly in the first place.

if it were the only choice, fair enough, but its a decision made for whatever reason, cost I assume, but its a self defeating solution. people are used to eurosport being able to transmit on a linear channel in 4k, the BBC should of course be able to as well. but the bbc is dead anyway, killed off by the slow death of a thousand cuts so no one really minds its demise.
I'm certainly not one to be defending the BBC, but to describe it as 'dead' is far from the truth. You only need to compare the number of new programmes being broadcast on BBC1 and BBC2 (criticised regularly for the number of repeats they show) with Sky 1, Sky Atlantic and Sky Witness, to realise that Sky has a fair bit of catching up to do to get anywhere near the Beeb's output. No-one is talking about Sky's demise, though.

By the way, did you see this?

https://advanced-television.com/2020...wins-xmas-day/

Last edited by OLD BOY; 29-12-2020 at 09:54.
Old 29-12-2020, 10:14   #1451
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I'm certainly not one to be defending the BBC, but to describe it as 'dead' is far from the truth. You only need to compare the number of new programmes being broadcast on BBC1 and BBC2 (criticised regularly for the number of repeats they show) with Sky 1, Sky Atlantic and Sky Witness, to realise that Sky has a fair bit of catching up to do to get anywhere near the Beeb's output. No-one is talking about Sky's demise, though.

By the way, did you see this?

https://advanced-television.com/2020...wins-xmas-day/
l think despite the anti BBC brigade the BBC will be here long into the future along with Pay TV services as well.

Yes the streaming services are very popular but many customers see it as a additional service rather than an replacement and the figures generally bore that out.
Old 29-12-2020, 15:21   #1452
DECKAS
cf.member

DECKAS will become famous soon enoughDECKAS will become famous soon enoughDECKAS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l think despite the anti BBC brigade the BBC will be here long into the future along with Pay TV services as well.

Yes the streaming services are very popular but many customers see it as a additional service rather than an replacement and the figures generally bore that out.
I totally agree with you
DECKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 18:57   #1453
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Yes you did, and I responded that it would not be a BBC UHD channel (which is the question you actually asked), but only on the I-Player.
Sorry my question was would it be on virgins uhd channel

999 and what ever the other number is ?!
Old 29-12-2020, 19:46   #1454
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Sorry my question was would it be on virgins uhd channel

999 and what ever the other number is ?!
No chance of that at all, Itshim.

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Has anyone noticed stuttering on the Virgin Ultra HD channel this last week?
Old 29-12-2020, 22:00   #1455
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
No chance of that at all, Itshim. as Ben already said

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Has anyone noticed stuttering on the Virgin Ultra HD channel this last week?