Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 14-03-2021, 08:32   #1531
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

The difference is usually quite obvious although some films do not reflect it - some films broadcast in 4K may have only been made in 2K.
There is no HDR or Atmos via VirginMedia for SkyUHD at this time.

You are using a 4K amp for video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatal_exception View Post
Having managed to get it enabled via customer services (with some perseverance) and paying the £6.00. I have to say I am totally underwhelmed, the picture quality is very poor via my V6 box. I watched a couple of films which I have seen before and I don’t think it’s worth the £6.00.

After some tinkering things improved but a couple of points: bit rate is poor and I’m not sure if it’s even proper 2160p. There doesn’t appear to be any HDR on offer, I didn’t check the amp but certainly didn’t sound like broadcast atmos.

Any app through my Philips OLED is vastly superior. Netflix with Dolby vision is massively better, BBC I played is better, even Amazon prime with HDR10+ is better and UHD Blu-rays make the gap in picture quality laughable.

Will give it month mainly for the justice league Snyder cut next week but will likely cancel.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2021, 09:18   #1532
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Having managed to get it enabled via customer services (with some perseverance) and paying the £6.00. I have to say I am totally underwhelmed, the picture quality is very poor via my V6 box. I watched a couple of films which I have seen before and I don’t think it’s worth the £6.00.

After some tinkering things improved but a couple of points: bit rate is poor and I’m not sure if it’s even proper 2160p. There doesn’t appear to be any HDR on offer, I didn’t check the amp but certainly didn’t sound like broadcast atmos.

Any app through my Philips OLED is vastly superior. Netflix with Dolby vision is massively better, BBC I played is better, even Amazon prime with HDR10+ is better and UHD Blu-rays make the gap in picture quality laughable.

Will give it month mainly for the justice league Snyder cut next week but will likely cancel.
When watching a few movies on the Virgin Media UHD channel I thought it was poor then , and yes watching the new David Attenborough from BBC iplayer in HLG /HDR was fantastic
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:46   #1533
fatal_exception
cf.member

fatal_exception is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
The difference is usually quite obvious although some films do not reflect it - some films broadcast in 4K may have only been made in 2K.
There is no HDR or Atmos via VirginMedia for SkyUHD at this time.

You are using a 4K amp for video?
Yes my chain is a Marantz 7013 and Philips 854 55 OLED.
I have the UO package mainly because of Virgins all or nothing pricing and was unimpressed by the "HD" on offer, so would rarely use Sky Cinema. I know things work as Netflix on the V6 gives 4k HDR (and looks very reasonable). I mainly use the built in apps on the TV (with ARC) though as Dolby vision lifts the HDR quality somewhat. I'm somewhat less impressed by HDR10+ content though via Amazon.

Maybe it's teething problems but I have have to say the UHD looks inferior to some 1080P offerings on other streaming services (and poorer than 1080P bluray). My TV does a very good job of handling poor video sources but everything looks very soft and murky. Occasionally you get a fairly static scene and the picture does approach something like what you're expecting. I wonder if the bitrate is very low and if they're still using x264 encoding?
fatal_exception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 07:57   #1534
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
...watching the new David Attenborough from BBC iplayer in HLG /HDR was fantastic
I have to agree. If only all TV picture quality was as good as that.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 16:15   #1535
Gemvis
cf.member

Gemvis is an unknown quantity at this point

Im glad someone else answered my query i enabled the uhd movies but noticed there isnt hdr and was wondering if it was my v6 box or just how it is also im curious now ive enabled it if free to cancel at anytime?.
Gemvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 16:48   #1536
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

HDR isn't available on the Sky UHD content yet.
Old 15-03-2021, 18:53   #1537
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
HDR isn't available on the Sky UHD content yet.
I'm presuming you mean through Virgin ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 08:46   #1538
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm presuming you mean through Virgin ?
That is the subject of this thread
Old 16-03-2021, 08:54   #1539
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Indeed it is but When you say "HDR isn't available on the Sky UHD content yet." It's not clear may have been better to add through Virgin to the end.

I actually can't believe it isn't and at an extra £6. I have to find myself agreeing with OB here both VM and Sky are losing the plot with what they charge these days.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 20:10   #1540
Gemvis
cf.member

Gemvis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I recently got the uhd section added on do you know if and when it might get added?
Gemvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 10:22   #1541
fatal_exception
cf.member

In case anyone is wondering it’s easier to remove than to subscribe.
Old 28-03-2021, 10:54   #1542
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Indeed it is but When you say "HDR isn't available on the Sky UHD content yet." It's not clear may have been better to add through Virgin to the end.

I actually can't believe it isn't and at an extra £6. I have to find myself agreeing with OB here both VM and Sky are losing the plot with what they charge these days.
If people are daft enough to pay it why wouldn't they
Old 28-03-2021, 14:34   #1543
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

So what's the easiest way to remove it then?
Old 28-03-2021, 18:11   #1544
fatal_exception
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
So what's the easiest way to remove it then?
I just called. The overseas call centre did it. Just have to wait and see if they did it correctly though.
Old 28-03-2021, 18:14   #1545
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I just called. The overseas call centre did it. Just have to wait and see if they did it correctly though.
I’m sure you have to give 30 days notice to cancel the add ons
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote