Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Electric Smart Meters

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Electric Smart Meters

Old 29-04-2021, 11:58   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Electric Smart Meters

Can anyone tell me anything about Electric Smart Meters?

Im coming to the end of my fixed 2 year Tarrif and it seems the next tarrif in the contract states i must have a smart meter installed.

Some people say their expensive and their bills have increased and others say no they r great.

Anyone?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2021, 12:18   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Electric Smart Meters

Avro does not force you and here anyway is the cheapest tariff. I will avoid them as long as I can.

Sometimes the old meter is wrong and the new metre more accurate but there are a lot of reported errors
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 13:21   #3
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

LOL @ Avro being cheapest tarrif.

Just filled in their site twice thinking i had made a mistake the first time and they quoted me £193 a month for a 1 bedroom flat £2312.38 a month.

Think i will stick with Swalec.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 13:36   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
LOL @ Avro being cheapest tarrif.

Just filled in their site twice thinking i had made a mistake the first time and they quoted me £193 a month for a 1 bedroom flat £2312.38 a month.

Think i will stick with Swalec.
something wrong with that quote. Set up the money saving expert switch. Unit rates on Avro for my area plenty lower than anyone else so it has to be an error

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Just took a quote for a Ceri Road postcode in Swansea and indeed your unit rates there are higher than mine@ 16.8 p per kwh 17.85p standing Gas is 3.008p per kwh on avro

Same address on SSE quote for leccy is 18.83p per kwh 28.8p standing and Gas 3.30 they are not offering any kind of lock in tariff

Ovo who now are part of SSE are slightly better on a deal but still not close to Avro
Old 29-04-2021, 14:44   #5
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I used to have one, and it was quite useful to have the display in the kitchen to see current usage skyrocket up when you put kettle on etc.

the novelty soon wore off, and you use what you use as before more or less, probably liek they had to adjust water prices after water started getting metred as people wasted less.

I can't tell if I saved money as it was installed as part of move the BG using the MSE price comparison a few years ago.

the annoying this is, is they're not necessarily compatible across providers, so if/when you switch you'd need a new one installed!
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 14:47   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I’ve had one for a couple of years, and had no problems - automatic readings, and it makes it easier to swap providers.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 15:30   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

We had them fitted years ago. Complete waste of time. They aren't able to get a mobile signal so need to be read by a man in a van, and our walls are too thick for the in-home display to work.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 15:54   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
We had them fitted years ago. Complete waste of time. They aren't able to get a mobile signal so need to be read by a man in a van
Same problem here, still getting estimated bills. There are no user manuals for these things. A and B buttons and displays are not documented ANYWHERE.

I'm just staggered that this is such a secret that it's nowhere on the net.

The in-house display unit was also a POS. Randomly changed what it was showing and reset every hour or so. It's now mouldering in the cupboard where the meter is.

I already have my own energy monitor courtesy of a project that I'm working on with a 3 phase industrial energy meter (my electronics and software)

Reports to my desktop PC for logging. RS485 MODBUS RTU, updates 10 times a second
Old 29-04-2021, 17:21   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
A and B buttons and displays are not documented ANYWHERE. I'm just staggered that this is such a secret that it's nowhere on the net.
Press button A when your call is answered, or button B to get your money back

But actually...
https://octopus.energy/blog/how-to-read-your-meter/
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 17:30   #10
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Press button A when your call is answered, or button B to get your money back

But actually...
https://octopus.energy/blog/how-to-read-your-meter/
It's still not really documenting it though is it.
Old 29-04-2021, 17:44   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

If you're in a SWALEC area have a look at Orbit Energy. I was saving over £160 on dual fuel, then they upped their prices a few days before all others. But now they have an even cheaper tariff. https://orbitenergy.co.uk/

Spring Save

elec SC: 23.593 p/day 11.399 p/kWh
gas SC 25.2340 p/day 2.431 p/kWh
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 18:48   #12
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
If you're in a SWALEC area have a look at Orbit Energy. I was saving over £160 on dual fuel, then they upped their prices a few days before all others. But now they have an even cheaper tariff. https://orbitenergy.co.uk/

Spring Save

elec SC: 23.593 p/day 11.399 p/kWh
gas SC 25.2340 p/day 2.431 p/kWh
variable tariff though will soon go up
Old 29-04-2021, 21:00   #13
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
variable tariff though will soon go up
As they all do at some point.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 21:03   #14
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
As they all do at some point.
yeah but I like a fix to know what I am on for at least a while. Took a big hit this year I was on a cracking deal last year but my deal still competes. I also qualify for the WHD which when I include that makes my years bills the same as what they would be with Orbit. Still it is a great tariff with no get out on Orbit so even if it lasts only a few months it is a saving
Old 29-04-2021, 21:13   #15
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

And don't forget to factor in any cashback from Topcashback or Quidco.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote