Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 13:25   #6031
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And your thought process ignores the realities of why Amazon such a big streaming company has not blown Sky and BT out of the water long before now.
I really think there's an under appreciation of the gravity of the most recent Premier League rights auction.

Let's pretend we're the strategists at Sky.

JF: Right Den it's that time again, how much are we putting in for the Premier League rights?
Den: Less than last time. (both laugh excessively)
JF: Okay stop clowning around. Get a coffee and come back and we'll discuss it seriously.
Den (returns with two coffees): Right, less than last time I wasn't joking.
JF: But all I read is these digital marketing blogs telling me streaming is the future. Scudamore is saying Amazon are in.
Den: Not happening mate.
JF: Seriously?
Den: Nah, BT is the only credible bidder, and we've got our cushy wholesale deal so they're not going to push.
JF: Virgin?
Den: Nah, cheapest way they get the Prem is through BT, and us. Wholesale deal is due next year so they'll not rock the boat.
JF: Okay we will need to run this past the boss.

The Boss: What? I don't pay you two to come up with rubbish ideas. Give me something credible.
JF: This is credible.
The Boss: Not even inflation? Not even 1% a year more?
Den: Not a penny more. Less.

Scenario continues until someone at the very top signs of essentially betting the business model of the whole UK and Ireland operation on there being no Amazon, no Facebook, no Google, no Apple in the auction.
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2019, 13:28   #6032
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I really think there's an under appreciation of the gravity of the most recent Premier League rights auction.

Let's pretend we're the strategists at Sky.

JF: Right Den it's that time again, how much are we putting in for the Premier League rights?
Den: Less than last time. (both laugh excessively)
JF: Okay stop clowning around. Get a coffee and come back and we'll discuss it seriously.
Den (returns with two coffees): Right, less than last time I wasn't joking.
JF: But all I read is these digital marketing blogs telling me streaming is the future. Scudamore is saying Amazon are in.
Den: Not happening mate.
JF: Seriously?
Den: Nah, BT is the only credible bidder, and we've got our cushy wholesale deal so they're not going to push.
JF: Virgin?
Den: Nah, cheapest way they get the Prem is through BT, and us. Wholesale deal is due next year so they'll not rock the boat.
JF: Okay we will need to run this past the boss.

The Boss: What? I don't pay you two to come up with rubbish ideas. Give me something credible.
JF: This is credible.
The Boss: Not even inflation? Not even 1% a year more?
Den: Not a penny more. Less.

Scenario continues until someone at the very top signs of essentially betting the business model of the whole UK and Ireland operation on there being no Amazon, no Facebook, no Google, no Apple in the auction.
Have you ever thought about being a script writer.
Old 11-08-2019, 13:31   #6033
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I would not recommend jfman as my strategist to plan my meals for the week, let alone to advise me on streaming services!
Old 11-08-2019, 13:32   #6034
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Den, we've been over and over this. I do subscribe to streaming services and a lot of my viewing comes from there. However, at the present moment, there are also some good programmes scattered amongst the junk that I want to see. So it is too early at this stage to make any decisions to ditch the scheduled channels. 2035 is still 15 years away - you need to pace yourself. A lot will happen between now and then.
Strange how your deadlines seem to change year depending on which year fits your narrative OB.
Old 11-08-2019, 13:33   #6035
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

If it's any consolation I wouldn't trust you to budget for the week. We'd run out of money by the Wednesday because you didn't realise we didn't have infinite income and that the limited income had to correspond to outgoings.
Old 11-08-2019, 13:42   #6036
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:

While true to say that Amazon hasn't 'blown Sky out of the water' as you put it on football rights, the fact is that they have chosen not to do so up until now. There are many reasons for that, including the technical difficulties with streaming such as latency and broadband coverage, but as these difficulties get resolved, the idea becomes more attractive.
Don't forget about Amazon run their business with a clear business model though as its strange that they have had many chances to blow Sky and BT out of the water up to now but have chosen not to do so based on the simple reason that it does not fit their profitable business model.
Old 11-08-2019, 13:50   #6037
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I haven’t seen anyone claim they have a business degree. Neither is one required to run a business, and there’s some bad CEOs around.
The views posted here seerggest that posters at the very least are on the top tiers of business.cleary knowing more that the CEO,s currently in place. I make no claim to understanding the business model that is being used. What l prefer is an other matter but if it makes business sense is very open to questioning .In fact l very much doubt my preference would make much money. Give up trying correct typo !!!! I hate tablets on the train !! And auto spell check !!!!!!!

Last edited by Itshim; 11-08-2019 at 13:56.
Old 11-08-2019, 14:23   #6038
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Strange how your deadlines seem to change year depending on which year fits your narrative OB.
2035 remains the goal. I said back in 2015 that in 20 years' time, the linear channels would no longer exist. I'm not altogether understanding what you think has changed. 20 years from 2015 is 2035 unless my maths is letting me down.

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

Quote:
If it's any consolation I wouldn't trust you to budget for the week. We'd run out of money by the Wednesday because you didn't realise we didn't have infinite income and that the limited income had to correspond to outgoings.
Tell that to the Netflix and Amazon CEOs. Clearly, you know so much more than them. I am sure they would greatly appreciate your counsel and wind up their companies immediately.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Quote:
Don't forget about Amazon run their business with a clear business model though as its strange that they have had many chances to blow Sky and BT out of the water up to now but have chosen not to do so based on the simple reason that it does not fit their profitable business model.
No, for the simple reason that there have been so many technical difficulties with streaming.
Old 11-08-2019, 14:31   #6039
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
2035 remains the goal. I said back in 2015 that in 20 years' time, the linear channels would no longer exist. I'm not altogether understanding what you think has changed. 20 years from 2015 is 2035 unless my maths is letting me down.
One of us will have probably gone the way of the dodo by then so your answer is a bit like a politicians answer which has no clear ending to it.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

Quote:
No, for the simple reason that there have been so many technical difficulties with streaming.
And that is suddenly going to change....
Old 11-08-2019, 14:36   #6040
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
One of us will have probably gone the way of the dodo by then so your answer is a bit like a politicians answer which has no clear ending to it.
Whether you and I are around at the time will make no difference to the outcome.
Old 11-08-2019, 14:43   #6041
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
So many people on this site with business degrees, Are many of you CEO,s on multinationals be any chance ?
Well, I was a Head of Technology* for a multi-national Financial Services Company, and the CEO drove it into the ground, so, like every walk of life, CEOs are only humans, and prone to mistakes.

*also been a Senior Programme Manager for a multi-national Telecomms Company. iT Director at a University, and a Head of Programmes for a multi-national Utilities company, and my Masters is in "Computing in Business’ - does that count?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 11-08-2019, 14:53   #6042
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

Tell that to the Netflix and Amazon CEOs. Clearly, you know so much more than them. I am sure they would greatly appreciate your counsel and wind up their companies immediately.[COLOR="Silver"]
I don’t see why Amazon would need my advice. I’ve stated making profit from a Premier League auction in the three year window as challenging and they didn’t bid in the first round - they seem closer to my way of thinking than yours from my vantage point here.

Nor did Netflix. I’m sure they’re fully aware of the challenges facing them as well and will be monitoring the situation quarter on quarter.

You yourself seem to see the challenges as well, was it not you that suggested in future platforms like Virgin will become ‘content aggregators’ and that will generate increased revenue for the streamers? Not that I see how that as wildly different from the present - only the delivery method you seem to be contending will change.

Quote:
So many difficulties, so few solutions.
Old 11-08-2019, 14:57   #6043
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Whether you and I are around at the time will make no difference to the outcome.
And the outcome won't fit your very narrow narrative as it has quite clearly failed to do in these last 10 years but there is nothing like moving the goalposts when it suits your convenient agenda.
Old 11-08-2019, 15:47   #6044
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

It would be a smash hit on the comedy channel.....
Old 11-08-2019, 17:09   #6045
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
And the outcome won't fit your very narrow narrative as it has quite clearly failed to do in these last 10 years but there is nothing like moving the goalposts when it suits your convenient agenda.
What exactly has changed? My goalposts are in exactly the same position as they have always been.
Closed Thread