Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 20-10-2015, 23:21   #2116
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

TV in the bedroom, deary me guys, haven't you anything better to do..........
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2015, 14:48   #2117
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I have a Fire TV stick in the bedroom. Great for watching Netflix and Prime plus iPlayer works really well. Great to see UKPlay being added. Cancelled the SKY multiroom box months ago. Saving us £135 per year. That pretty much covers the cost of Amazon Prime and Netflix. We're no worse off but prefer on demand in the bedroom rather than linear TV. Bought the new NOW TV box the other day with 3 months entertainment pass. Pretty much the exact same as the old box but run much quicker. Keeping the 3 month pass until February when my SKY TV deal runs out. Will do what I always do. Cancel TV and wait to see what they offer to come back. For the first time ever I'm not too bothered if they don't come back with a good deal i.e. 50% off for a year. I think my wife has finally come around to the idea that Freeview + Netflix + Prime + Now TV is just as good, if not better than having SKY on it's own.
I think that's a common patter now. A few years ago I never would have predicted that my parents would be ditching Sky and opting for a Freeview/Now TV/Netflix/Amazon combo but that's what they're doing as soon as their Sky contract is up.

Have to admit I'm looking very closely at my Virgin TV subscription i.e. what we watch and where else I could get it from. Times are a changing.
Old 21-10-2015, 15:54   #2118
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
I think that's a common patter now. A few years ago I never would have predicted that my parents would be ditching Sky and opting for a Freeview/Now TV/Netflix/Amazon combo but that's what they're doing as soon as their Sky contract is up.

Have to admit I'm looking very closely at my Virgin TV subscription i.e. what we watch and where else I could get it from. Times are a changing.
That is precisely why VM need to get their act together with the streaming services available on Tivo.
Old 21-10-2015, 16:20   #2119
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That is precisely why VM need to get their act together with the streaming services available on Tivo.
Why? Why not just let other suppliers make the technoloy to stream the content....they can still flog their network capacity to support an uptake in broadband usage. Perhaps that's where they see the profits in the future i.e. having the infrastructure to help their customers and other broadband providers meet the increased streaming demand.
Old 21-10-2015, 17:58   #2120
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The TIVO struggles with iplayer and Netflix last thing this generation one needs is more apps.
Old 21-10-2015, 18:23   #2121
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Google Play Music seems like it could be a good offering with this news especially considering they are also due to launch a family option.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34596219
Old 21-10-2015, 18:26   #2122
mike_gain
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
The TIVO struggles with iplayer and Netflix last thing this generation one needs is more apps.
The box doesn't struggle, more the infrastructure around some boxes.
Old 21-10-2015, 22:51   #2123
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
Why? Why not just let other suppliers make the technoloy to stream the content....they can still flog their network capacity to support an uptake in broadband usage. Perhaps that's where they see the profits in the future i.e. having the infrastructure to help their customers and other broadband providers meet the increased streaming demand.
And that would cost us all more, of course!
Old 22-10-2015, 06:14   #2124
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Disney launches dedicated subscription streaming service to rival Netflix in UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a6702616.html
Old 22-10-2015, 08:19   #2125
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Pricey one would say....
Old 22-10-2015, 08:55   #2126
mike_gain
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Pricey one would say....
One might also say Rip off.

If Sky hadn't just signed a deal with Disney and the latter were keeping all their stuff for their own service then yeah maybe subscribing to a Disney streaming service could be seen as worth it. However we'll just stick with Sky Movies on the Now TV box, we won't get the book or songs but
a) my kids prefer reading real books
b) my kids are more into bands like Bad Religion, Iron Maiden and Queen which I doubt Disney will be offering.
Old 22-10-2015, 09:02   #2127
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Which means the Disney deal that Netflix have in the US, starting 2016, definitely won't be applicable to the UK.

Quote:
The Mouse also owns the rights to all Marvel Studio films and LucasFilm (Star Wars), but these will not feature on the service straight away. Iger added, however, that DisneyLife could expand to include these.
I'm guessing this means that they will not renew current contracts with other UK on demand services that currently have these films, when they expire.

Does Sky have any of this content available via the Now TV movie sub? [Edit: Mike just answered that one]
Old 22-10-2015, 09:05   #2128
mike_gain
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Which means the Disney deal that Netflix have in the US, starting 2016, definitely won't be applicable to the UK.

I'm guessing this means that they will not renew current contracts with other UK on demand services that currently have these films, when they expire.

Does Sky have any of this content available via the Now TV movie sub?
Yes, they've got both Lucas Film content and Marvel Content but not all the content e.g. not all captain America films
Old 22-10-2015, 10:28   #2129
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Does Sky have any of this content available via the Now TV movie sub? [Edit: Mike just answered that one]
Sky have only just renewed , this service will have been in the pipeline for a while.

https://corporate.sky.com/media-cent...nnel-agreement
Old 22-10-2015, 10:57   #2130
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Pricey one would say....
I agree quite pricey as Peter Jones would say "i'm out"
Closed Thread