Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Plane Spotters Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Plane Spotters Corner

Old 19-03-2021, 15:06   #1246
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Plane Spotters Corner

*SHOCKER*

Cable forum member almost scalped by apaches

Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2021, 10:48   #1247
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I live in the flight path to Stansted Airport, planes normally fly over my house, (Despite the face the Airport says this is not the case).

It's weird not hearing them as often as I used to. What I used to get an hour is about a week ATM
Old 21-03-2021, 11:00   #1248
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I live in the flight path to Stansted Airport, planes normally fly over my house, (Despite the face the Airport says this is not the case).
We had a similar issue some years ago where people near Leeds Bradford Airport said planes always flew over their house and not where they were meant to. We sent people maps and asked them to make a note of the date and time and to draw what they thought was the track the aircraft followed, we then compared these to the actual radar track. Almost without exception nobody got the track of the aircraft correct and pretty much had the aircraft flying over their house. Some of the participants lived 3 or 4 miles apart and were on both sides of the flight path.

I'm not saying you're wrong just that it's human nature to think the planes are flying over you when they aren't!
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 08:46   #1249
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I'm lucky that my local is EMA and we still get a good amount of Cargo, with regular 747F.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 11:14   #1250
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
We had a similar issue some years ago where people near Leeds Bradford Airport said planes always flew over their house and not where they were meant to. We sent people maps and asked them to make a note of the date and time and to draw what they thought was the track the aircraft followed, we then compared these to the actual radar track. Almost without exception nobody got the track of the aircraft correct and pretty much had the aircraft flying over their house. Some of the participants lived 3 or 4 miles apart and were on both sides of the flight path.

I'm not saying you're wrong just that it's human nature to think the planes are flying over you when they aren't!

I know what you are saying, but I have photos, as I was testing my then ne 18-400mm camera lens
Old 23-03-2021, 16:00   #1251
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
They have a very recognisable sound, as do Chinooks. We get get a lot of aircraft flying over us both rotary and fixed wing, military and civil, and I can tell the Chinooks and Apaches.

Just today we had either an F22 raptor or F35 lightning fly over, I assume it was an F35 but I only had about 3 secs and I’m not in the royal Observer Corp.

First one I’ve seen and It didn’t sound like any other fast jet I’ve seen.
Had an Osprey come over today, never seen one in the flesh before.
Old 23-03-2021, 16:26   #1252
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Do the RAF operate those? I've heard speculation they might acquire a couple to improve airborne early warning capability for the new QE class carriers. Mind you there's also talk of them designing drones that could do it and fly off the deck without requiring a full-power catapult system.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 17:33   #1253
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

There was rumours one was loaned to the Hereford Boys by the USMC, but otherwise they are just operated by the USAF and USMC.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 10:31   #1254
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Do the RAF operate those? I've heard speculation they might acquire a couple to improve airborne early warning capability for the new QE class carriers. Mind you there's also talk of them designing drones that could do it and fly off the deck without requiring a full-power catapult system.

The Osprey is the one with the large propellers that can rotate between horizontal and vertical.
Old 24-03-2021, 11:14   #1255
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
The Osprey is the one with the large propellers that can rotate between horizontal and vertical.
I know. That’s why they would be well suited to the RN’s new carriers, which don’t have cats and traps installed. They rely on regular helicopters for AEW but this limits the range and operating time. US carriers use the fixed-wing E-2C Hawkeye which can work with a catapult and arrestor wire. The Osprey is a good compromise for a carrier designed for STOVL aircraft.
Old 24-03-2021, 11:48   #1256
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Interesting, and informative, article about them (from the US Navy)

https://seapowermagazine.org/ospreys...dependability/
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 12:18   #1257
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Possibly why the RN hasn't jumped all over them...
Old 24-03-2021, 20:02   #1258
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Possibly why the RN hasn't jumped all over them...
Well they have trialled them

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-...rey-tiltrotor/
Old 24-03-2021, 20:08   #1259
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
That looks like interoperability trials so US Marines can land their Ospreys on the flight deck if need be during a coalition operation rather than prospective purchasing.
Old 24-03-2021, 21:58   #1260
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
That looks like interoperability trials so US Marines can land their Ospreys on the flight deck if need be during a coalition operation rather than prospective purchasing.
Or was it an attempt to sell them to the RN?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote