Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ntl outsourcing swansea tsb to IBM

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ntl outsourcing swansea tsb to IBM

Old 18-06-2004, 23:28   #31
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Re: Ntl outsourcing swansea tsb to IBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A=MH²
I think you'll find that IBM will handle things in a far more proffessional and efficient manner, which in turn should cost less.
Hmmmmmmm. I'm afraid I strongly disagree having experienced the IBM-run IT Helpdesk at ntl.

I think that the quality will go down, the costs will Skyrocket as IBM are involved, and the customer will end up getting a worse deal when the effects of Manpower control filter through after a few months.

Quote:
IBM will be answerable to NTLI so the customer experience, if it does not improve may see the contract with them nullified.
LOL, sorry but it doesn't work like that. IBM have been in charge of ntl's IT support, etc since 2001, and every single person I've ever spoken to in ntl has been derogatory about the level of service provided by IBM and the prohibitively high costs.
Quote:
We'll just have to "suck it and see".
Indeed we will.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-06-2004, 23:30   #32
Frank
cf.mega poster

Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedGoalPosts
As for recruiting via an agency, does that gurantee better staff quality. I doubt it, more it's lining the pockets through the fees payable of yet somebody else, rather than investing in the actual support system's facilities and staff directly operating it.
Precisely.
Old 19-06-2004, 00:59   #33
Tech_Boy
Inactive

Services: Inhumations, for the right price
Tech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpack
Angry Re: Ntl outsourcing swansea tsb to IBM

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tech_bo..._structure.jpg

pretty much says it all
Tech_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 10:42   #34
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

How long before they move these jobs to India, Pakistan or will Iran become the latest target.

Saddly this is not what NTL customers was wanting to hear we was more thinking less bosses and more frontline people who had the companies customers as a priority.

Time for rethinking the options available to most customers if this is the trend that management want they are selling us the customers short and putting our personal details open to abuse from others. Already some in India have shown they can be bribed to give card details out.

The most secure way to control the records of the customers is keeping this in house under total control of the management perhaps new management with the correct ideas on how to improve the system.
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 12:39   #35
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits
How long before they move these jobs to India, Pakistan or will Iran become the latest target.

Saddly this is not what NTL customers was wanting to hear we was more thinking less bosses and more frontline people who had the companies customers as a priority.

Time for rethinking the options available to most customers if this is the trend that management want they are selling us the customers short and putting our personal details open to abuse from others. Already some in India have shown they can be bribed to give card details out.

The most secure way to control the records of the customers is keeping this in house under total control of the management perhaps new management with the correct ideas on how to improve the system.
Woah...less haste, more Alpen!
These jobs haven't gone to India. I suppose in theory they might in the future, but also they might not. Let's not start talking about 'giving up ntl services' just because there is a theoretical possibility that some jobs might end up in India. Wait until anything definite is said (which I personally doubt) and then review the situation then.

The recent Fujitsu outsourcing of dialup tech support doesn't seem to be going that way and I have not yet heard any negative feedback from the affected staff, despite dealing with them on a regular basis.

In my time with the company, most of these sort of 'rumours' have turned out to be totally false, and I hear many of them, believe me.
Old 19-06-2004, 22:48   #36
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

How do you know it's his webspace?

The only people here who would be able to get any kind of trace on him would possible be the admin team and we're certainly not going to do that.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 23:12   #37
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

What's the problem? If someone was to try and report him, they would need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is not using webspace belonging to someone else, surely?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2004, 23:27   #38
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Have I missed something or has Tech boy just posted a rather humorous and witty picture, how does this break the terms of his contract?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2004, 00:09   #39
Frank
cf.mega poster

And now back on topic please...
Old 20-06-2004, 00:18   #40
Tech_Boy
Inactive

Services: Inhumations, for the right price
Tech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpackTech_Boy has a very nice sixpack

I would just like to clear things up with Just another noob, I'm making a statement about the upper levels of management the world over, not just in NTL.

I am sorry If I have caused offence to anyone.

Peace Out.
Tech_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2004, 08:57   #41
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostra
Thats right... in the end the council took the call centres back off Manpower (or something along those lines)

there are now a couple of contracts going on there now such as the Department of work and pensions

Department for work and Pensions (DWP) is currently held by EDS, They also Hold Jobcentre plus, and several other BIG, and i mean BIG contracts.
EDS have revenues of approx 20 Billion US dollars, would a company like that deal with manpower if manpower was such a bad company?

Manpower provide staff to EDS for all these accounts.
I wouldnt worry about manpower, it isnt manpower that hold th econtract, if Mnapower dont perform then IBM will get out. Manpower provide staff on the terms IBM setout. Any problems and worries you have will be better addressed to IBM.
Old 22-06-2004, 14:09   #42
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

I was talking to a mate about this the other day - the rise of the virtual company where the company is little more than a name and a handful of staff in an office somewhere. Everything is outsourced - contracts are easier to manage than departments. Develop your skills for the new jobs market: know yourself and what you have to offer, market yourself aggressively, and always do what's best for your career. Forget company loyalty because they won't be loyal to you and chances are you'll be employed by an agency anyway. Get what you can out of your company, particularly in terms of training - but know and be clear about what training you need and make sure you get it. Remember that when it comes to agencies you become a comodity just like a packet of cat litter, say. They're not nice people. In my estimations they're down there with Job Centre and DSS staff. It sucks I know but it's a modern world The cosy British notion of a job for life just doesn't exist anymore.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 15:03   #43
Luxor
Inactive

Luxor is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think you'll find that IBM will handle things in a far more proffessional and efficient manner, which in turn should cost less. IBM employ (via Manpower) 175,000 call centre employees world wide on a permenant basis, and this experience will soon be reflected in a change (hopefully for the positive) to the customer and his experience in dealing with NTLI. Better tech support management = happier, more productive and better trained staff = happier customer base. IBM will be answerable to NTLI so the customer experience, if it does not improve may see the contract with them nullified.

I have to say this seems like a positive step, one I'm quite happy about, but as litany of cliches and counter cliches go, "Que Sera Sera", "Proof is in the pooding" etc.... We'll just have to "suck it and see".

*fingers crossed*
As someone who was outsourced to IBM from the Bank of Scotland, I have to say that the words professional and efficient are not quite the ones I would have used. We as an outsourced group were awestruck by just how bad our new employers were. As long as you enjoy red tape instead of dealing with problems however you are sorted.
Luxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 00:50   #44
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

I hope the ntl management took note of the following, not same industry and internal vs external customers, but...

Quote:
Tuesday 26 March 2002

Invensys hands IBM £700m outsourcing deal

Invensys, the troubled IT and automation group, has outsourced its IT operations in more than a dozen countries to IBM's Global Services Group in a 10-year deal worth £700m.
http://www.computerweekly.com/Article111096.htm

Quote:
26 September 2003
This past week, after damages that amount to hundreds of millions of dollars over two years, the news came via the weblogs that the IBM deal was finally cancelled. Apparently, Haythornthwaite finally wised up, or perhaps the scaled down Invensys was not profitable for IBM. Some 600+ ex-Invensys-now-IBM employees are now to be re-transferred back to Invensys.

Who can calculate the damages in already replaced hardware, misplaced documentation, half-baked software transfers and irreparable damage to many, many previously dedicated employees??
http://www.jimpinto.com/enews/sep26-2003.html#1
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2004, 01:31   #45
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

ntl's IT support is already managed by IBM, so ntl have already had first hand experience of the company. The most have some good reason for doing it, otherwise why did not not outsouce to Fujitsu like they did with dial up support

I am not going to comment on what i think about IBM's management skills but i just hope it is good as we are being as told it will be. Only time will tell....

MB
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote