Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM General News Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

VM General News Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 10:46   #226
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

After being one of the TalkTalk data breach victims my view is the quicker Talk Talk are taken over by responsible owners, the better. I would rather forego access to the internet than become a Talk Talk customer again.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2018, 14:14   #227
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye Up View Post
£2bn would net Vodafone 4m+ customers compared to the probably £15-£17bn needed for VM.
I think you very much pay for what you get in this case. Although TalkTalk will be cheaper to buy outright, Vodafone would have to invest a few billion quid into it to bring it up to spec. VM is currently running well and expanding and you get a lot more infrastructure for your money.

Hard to say really. Voda needs to do something, they are not exactly competitive at the moment.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 17:38   #228
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I know what Vodafone want, including considering launching their own pay tv service, but where once they were dominate in their field, they're now the number three player.

Lets not forget 5g. Mobile companies need fibre networks to help them power their mobile networks if we're all going to download hd/4k films onto mobile devices in seconds. VM has a fibre network, so does Talktalk, albeit a smaller one.

I don't see TalkTalk surviving much longer in any case after their data breach, so Vodafone could in theory buy both of them.
VF sacked off launching their own PayTV service because it was a pain in the arse to run, cancelled at considerable cost getting out of the carriage agreements.

VF is already prepped for 5G, money ready and waiting to be spent. You forget VF has about £72bn on its balance sheet waiting to be spent, its not like they don't have the means to do it.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I think you very much pay for what you get in this case. Although TalkTalk will be cheaper to buy outright, Vodafone would have to invest a few billion quid into it to bring it up to spec. VM is currently running well and expanding and you get a lot more infrastructure for your money.

Hard to say really. Voda needs to do something, they are not exactly competitive at the moment.
I don't disagree with anything you say, it just comes down to money if I'm honest. TT is easier to justify given its relatively cheap price but also crucially its customer base which is comparable to VM. Vodafone has its own large fibre network which would integrate well with TT, so infrastructure side I don't think thats a worry.

VM is a more advanced company that is true, it is well established and has a proper solid quadplay offering. I just don't think Vodafone is readsy to splash the £15bn+ on one market alone, given they already have a sizable foothold and a rapidly growing broadband customer base.

I just think VM will cost too much, its a prize asset, just not one VF needs.
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 15:43   #229
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Any deal does not include UK or RoI, the JV with VF & Ziggo may also go entirely back to LG as part of any deal.
Old 08-02-2018, 15:56   #230
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them

Talk Talks brand has been seriously damaged by its constant data breaches perhaps the only way forward is to be adsorbed by another company, another company who knows what their doing.

TalkTalk's share price plummets 14% after dividend is cut again as it ramps up fibre broadband roll-out

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...#ixzz56WpnjgRN
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 18:33   #231
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Instead of being called Talktalk, it'll be Walkwalk soon. The company is finished in my opinion. If the share price continues to fall it will cease to be a FTSE250 company and all the fund managers will pull out of it, thus sinking the share price further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye Up View Post
VF sacked off launching their own PayTV service because it was a pain in the arse to run, cancelled at considerable cost getting out of the carriage agreements.

VF is already prepped for 5G, money ready and waiting to be spent. You forget VF has about £72bn on its balance sheet waiting to be spent, its not like they don't have the means to do it.

I don't disagree with anything you say, it just comes down to money if I'm honest. TT is easier to justify given its relatively cheap price but also crucially its customer base which is comparable to VM. Vodafone has its own large fibre network which would integrate well with TT, so infrastructure side I don't think thats a worry.

VM is a more advanced company that is true, it is well established and has a proper solid quadplay offering. I just don't think Vodafone is readsy to splash the £15bn+ on one market alone, given they already have a sizable foothold and a rapidly growing broadband customer base.

I just think VM will cost too much, its a prize asset, just not one VF needs.
As to the comments about Vodafone buying Talktalk, why bother now, in light of this latest news? They'll just let it collapse and get it for next to nothing. I reckon Vodafone are keeping hold of all that dosh, because they regret pulling out of America, so they might re-merge with Verizon at some point.

I was unaware Vodafone had cancelled their tv plans, thanks for highlighting that here. Are there any articles available to read about why they did this? If they were about to merge with VM, then fair enough, but that doesn't look likely at the moment.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:14   #232
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Virgin Media signs deal to make sci-fi series with Amazon

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...mazon-the-feed
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 17:43   #233
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
As to the comments about Vodafone buying Talktalk, why bother now, in light of this latest news? They'll just let it collapse and get it for next to nothing. I reckon Vodafone are keeping hold of all that dosh, because they regret pulling out of America, so they might re-merge with Verizon at some point.

I was unaware Vodafone had cancelled their tv plans, thanks for highlighting that here. Are there any articles available to read about why they did this? If they were about to merge with VM, then fair enough, but that doesn't look likely at the moment.
https://www.uswitch.com/tv/news/2017...ay_tv_service/

and I work for Vodafone.
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 08:18   #234
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Virgin Media Reports Preliminary Q4 2017 Results.

http://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/pre...017-Report.pdf
Old 26-02-2018, 20:04   #235
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Vodafone open to adding UK assets to Liberty Global deal talks
The UK market, where Liberty Global owns Virgin Media, has been excluded from the discussions but Mr Colao said that could change. “I cannot exclude that in the future we won’t talk about the UK,” he said, before adding that continental assets were the “priority”.
https://www.ft.com/content/4da228b6-...a-4574d7dabfb6
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 22:27   #236
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Up to 4,000 residents in 12 villages in Hampshire's Test Valley and Dun Valley will be able to access "ultrafast" internet from late 2019. They all paid a £300 connection fee.
"While Virgin Media is already active in other rural areas, until now it has done so by extending its existing urban operations. What makes the new scheme unique is that the network is being built from scratch."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43372054A
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 12:23   #237
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Virgin and TalkTalk discuss deal over broadband sharing.

Quote:
The two operators are understood to be discussing sharing so-called passive infrastructure. It would mean TalkTalk could lay fibre optics in Virgin Media’s underground ducts and vice versa.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...dband-sharing/
Old 14-05-2018, 17:14   #238
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Interesting. I thought TalkTalk was on its last legs with some kind of buyout looming in its future.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 17:48   #239
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Yes that is what l thought so it was quite a surprise to read this.
Old 14-05-2018, 21:43   #240
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes that is what l thought so it was quite a surprise to read this.
We have been thinking maybe this "broadband sharing" is just part of plans for Virgin Media to takeover of TalkTalk.

We mean don't TalkTalk use BT wire right now to offer their Network???
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote