Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Data Breach Incident

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Data Breach Incident

Old 02-10-2020, 20:54   #91
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Data Breach Incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Supposition, not proven fact.
The Lloyds Banking Group chap did say that they had wondered how the scammers knew that people had accounts with banks owned by the LBG or if they were doing it randomly and just kept getting lucky.

I explained the problems i'd had as a result of the Virgin Media data breach and he thanked me for solving the puzzle. Apparently, they are using the sort codes held by VM to identify who we bank with. Then, they call the person on the phone number held by VM after spoofing their originating number to appear to be from the bank that the VM customer uses.

They let it be known that they have more information about you to try and make the call sound more authentic e.g. they will ask for you by your full name or offer to call you on your mobile if it's more convenient.

I posted a warning on facebook to alert others and a friend (who uses VM & banks with Barclays) said that she had been caught out by them two days ago (on her birthday of all days).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2020, 20:56   #92
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Maybe some of them are posting on the internet, under their own name, confirming who they bank with.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 21:11   #93
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Maybe some of them are posting on the internet, under their own name, confirming who they bank with.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 21:18   #94
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Apparently, they are using the sort codes held by VM to identify who we bank with.
"The database was used to manage information about our existing and potential customers in relation to some of our marketing activities.
No financial details were included in the database which was accessed"
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/data-incident
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 21:41   #95
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That was....laugh out loud funny!
Old 03-10-2020, 07:02   #96
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Maybe some have such a hatred of VM they will blame them for anything they can even when it is proved that the data breach did NOT include any passwords or financial details, such as bank account number or credit card information.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer

Last edited by Sirius; 03-10-2020 at 07:06.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:01   #97
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
"The database was used to manage information about our existing and potential customers in relation to some of our marketing activities.
No financial details were included in the database which was accessed"
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/data-incident
Thanks for that SP. It seems that Lloyds were right the first time then in that the scammers were stabbing in the dark and hoping that the person banked with whoever they were claiming to be. They probably said 'Lloyds Banking Group' to hedge their bets as that covers more than one bank. Their fraud division did say that they would never introduce themselves as such though, but would state the name of the division where they were from.

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
That was....laugh out loud funny!
She didn't do this to my knowledge before the incident (on Facebook anyway). I see nothing funny about a young lone parent being scammed out of money on her birthday, but everyone's humour is different I suppose.

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Maybe some have such a hatred of VM they will blame them for anything they can even when it is proved that the data breach did NOT include any passwords or financial details, such as bank account number or credit card information.
Neither her or myself "hate" VM to my knowledge, what a bizzare thing to come out with. I am annoyed that they treated the security of our personal data in such a shabby manner, but they have apologised and compensated me for the incident without any formal proceedings being needed. I have accepted their apology and agreed to a further contract upon agreement of a much better deal.
Old 03-10-2020, 15:50   #98
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
She didn't do this to my knowledge before the incident (on Facebook anyway). I see nothing funny about a young lone parent being scammed out of money on her birthday, but everyone's humour is different I suppose.
It was a low flying comment that still managed to go right over your head.
Old 03-10-2020, 17:13   #99
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It was a low flying comment that still managed to go right over your head.
Rudeness.
Old 03-10-2020, 17:24   #100
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Richard, you've completely missed the point I was making that entertained Pierre. You have confirmed in this thread that you bank with Lloyds Banking Group.

You've got 8,000 posts on this forum and almost 20,000 on DS.

I've no idea what other forums you may be on but I would imagine someone could gleam significant amounts of information about your spending habits, DWP benefits you receive, the area of the country you live in and other personally sensitive information. Mainly because you post under your own name.

Last edited by jfman; 03-10-2020 at 17:29.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 17:45   #101
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Richard, you've completely missed the point I was making that entertained Pierre. You have confirmed in this thread that you bank with Lloyds Banking Group.

You've got 8,000 posts on this forum and almost 20,000 on DS.

I've no idea what other forums you may be on but I would imagine someone could gleam significant amounts of information about your spending habits, DWP benefits you receive, the area of the country you live in and other personally sensitive information. Mainly because you post under your own name.
All very good points, but I use a pseudonym.