Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL Customer Services: Your personal experience

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL Customer Services: Your personal experience
View Poll Results: My personal experience of NTL CS has been:
I've never had any trouble from them 153 16.85%
Generally OK, occasional hassle 206 22.69%
Very hit'n' miss, about 50/50 174 19.16%
They normally mess it up 163 17.95%
Completely awful, every day of the week 212 23.35%
Voters: 908. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 21:44   #811
smucks
Inactive

smucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to all
Re: NTL Customer Services: Your personal experience

I do not have a problem with Customer Support its the Tech Support that is like a mine field and the worst ones in my book......
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2006, 15:10   #812
avt
Inactive

avt is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anyone who is happy with cable (telewest)because i have yet to meet them

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

do they honestly read the complaint letters or do they just slingthem in the bin,i'e sent three since about August still no answer, just had another call from them saying they can't come after all to pull a new cable thru,how many times i've heard that excuse is unbeliveable,perhaps it may be done by Christmas
Old 13-10-2006, 17:18   #813
ofirgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by smucks View Post
I do not have a problem with Customer Support its the Tech Support that is like a mine field and the worst ones in my book......

Both Customer "service" and customer "support" have lied to me telling me the following lies:
  • I am not allowed to use a wireless router and my service will be terminated unless I stopped.
  • NTL do not use proxy servers
  • I am the only one to complain about any problems with NTL proxy servers.
  • It's normal for bbc.co.uk to take 2 minutes to display on broadband - "It's a very busy site" I was told!
  • We will refund you last month's internet bill. (refund never comes)
  • We never promised you a refund and there's no mention of it on your account notes.
etc etc etc

Lying appears to be a corporate policy at NTL.

Old 13-10-2006, 17:27   #814
lostandconfused
Inactive

Services: 2 X V+ XL TV XL BB XL Telco
lostandconfused has reached the bronze age
lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age

hi ofigal can i ask what area your from?

ill be honest wouldnt have about the proxy servers but depending on where you are can sort out the billing side.
Old 13-10-2006, 17:38   #815
ofirgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostandconfused View Post
hi ofigal can i ask what area your from?

ill be honest wouldnt have about the proxy servers but depending on where you are can sort out the billing side.
Bromley.

I've been speaking to Richard at the Executive Office. There should be laws against what NTL are doing, because in my opinion is it theft and fraud. Judging by comments on this site and others, this is also happening on a mass scale.

Old 13-10-2006, 17:42   #816
lostandconfused
Inactive

lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age

ok, im not even sure what a proxy server is so i'll leave that one, as long as your getting the month free as promised thats ok
hope all goes well with it, if not give me a shout one of the mods would be able to confirm i work for em
Old 17-10-2006, 16:49   #817
peter123reading
Inactive

peter123reading is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently moved house after several years of fairly reliable broadband and phone service from NTL. After 5 weeks i still have no service. I have taken 4 days off work to wait in for people. Finally after everything was connected i was told that I am a hanging house move. This apparently affects 1 in 40 people and takes 7-10 working days to fix. At least i was left with a phone line whilst I waited for broadband but today that finally dissapeared. Can we have a competition to see who is the worst treated loyal customer?
Old 17-10-2006, 17:25   #818
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Peter, please see http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...php?t=33602217. Issues needing specific discussion are best dealt with in their own threads, rather than getting muddled in here.
Old 17-10-2006, 21:32   #819
TheDancer
Inactive

TheDancer is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: NTL Customer Services: Your personal experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
OK, let's have a definitive answer to this thorny issue. What is your own personal experience of NTL customer services?

Tell us your story, and don't forget to vote. I'm going to try to set this up as a public poll so we can all see who voted what, as I am interested to explore the allegation that those who claim not to have trouble with CS are in the main NTL staff in disguise.
Well, here's my experience of NTL...

On 25th February 2006 I called NTL and spoke with Graham in Customer Services and cancelled the cable TV box (because I bought a digibox and decided it was ridiculous paying all that money each month year in year out to hire a piece of equipment from a service provider that could be replaced by this digibox that I could get for a much cheaper one-off price).

Graham at NTL informed I had to give 28 days notice, so I agreed to this and Graham said they would need to arrange to come and collect the TV cable box. Graham discussed a collection time of Friday 31st March to collect the box and I explained I did not want to take the day off work just for them to collect the box and asked if they could collect it on a Saturday.

They explained they could not arrange a time to collect the box on a Saturday easily as they have a problem with calendars and that I would have to phone back and arrange collection later.

Finally after a conversation with Kyanush on 6th March 2006 if I remember correctly, it was agreed that they would collect the box on Saturday 18th March between 3 and 6pm and the TV cable box was removed from my property by them.

When I was doing my paperwork in late March I read the statement from NTL dated 28 February which showed they were going to charge me for the TV cable box for the period 11 March to 10th April. Obviously to me but not to them apparently that would mean that they were taking money out of my account for a service I no longer had.

On 23rd March, I phoned NTL customer service to point out that their statement showed that their accounts department had not picked up the fact that I no longer had a TV cable box and I spoke with somebody called Michelle. She said this is how they operate. She said the accounts department are not able to marry up this information immediately and so customers can over pay by a month or a smaller time difference, but the accounts department knew what they were doing and they would refund the difference and that refund would show up in the next statement.

I said to Michelle, who sounded so nice and helpful, that I also wanted to cancel the telephone account that came with the TV package. I explained that when I had phoned in February to cancel the TV cable package I had completely forgotton that I even have a telephone account with NTL because I never use it. I said there is no phone plugged into the NTL socket. Michelle though explained to me that there was no need for me to cancel the phone, even though I had been getting the rental of it as a free package because NTL at the time were offering customers a deal whereby if they had a NTL broadband account (such as I had with them) they could have a free telephone line rental. Michelle persuaded me to keep the telephone line which I had just tried to cancel, on the premis and understanding that I would not still not have to pay for the line. I had thought I might as well keep it then, if it is still free.

I looked at my bank statement after waiting the time stipulated by the customer advisor and noted that they had indeed stopped taking the money out in accordance with the explanation given by them.

In between April and August I still received statements from NTL as I still have a broadband internet account. Their accounting system is unnecessarily complicated and their statement are user-unfriendly and I got the impression from the satements that they were both crediting and debiting me £23.25 a month because in the brought forward box on their statement each month a value of £0 showed.

September 07 - I noticed when checking my previous few months bank statements that NTL had started taking monies out of my account again for a cable TV package I obviously no longer had! I had never given them permission to start up a fresh episode of them taking money from my account by direct debit. They are still taking my money for this! To add insult to injury they had put the price up of the product of theirs that I did not have to £24.25 a month! Yes, NTL were still making debits from my bank account of £24.25 each month to pay for a Cable TV package which I dont have because I cancelled the TV package account in February and
they collected the cable TV box in March!

Made a telephone call to Customer Services on Thursday 7th September 2006 and spoke with a Paul. I politely explained I was annoyed that they were still taking money from me and asked if I could have verification they would
1) correct the problem with their accounts department,
2) provide me with a refund as were were talking about an amount owing to me in the approx region of £125, and
3) which was said with tounge in cheek, that they could consider refunding the interest I have lost on that money had it have stayed in my account where it belonged for those six months.
Paul told me it is not possible for him to get this sorted out. He said I have to speak to the Disconnections Department (yes the Disconnections department, Not the Customer Service department and Not the accounts department). Paul asked me if I would like to be put through to the Disconnections Department so I said yes and I was put on hold for FIFTEEN MINUTES listening to a very repetitive tuneless tune all that time, until my
better judgement prevailed and I gave up holding.

I called back NTL Customer Services and was put through to someone called Louise Branson who explained she was from the Manchester office and she gave me her extension number. ((Other member of staff in her office claim they dont have extension numbers, they just email everybody in the organisation if they have queries!, yeah right - Try getting anybody at NTL to give you their direct line!!!!!))

Louise Branson is a Customer advisor. Her business explanation was that this whole problem was caused because "I still had the broadband internet connection and that had stopped the sytem from stopping the debits for the TV". So she was going to raise a manual credit today and the next invoice would show a refund of the basic pack charges. The next invoice was not due until about 27th September. She said I had to pay backdated charge for the telephone line of £11.50 a month. I explained that was not right and she said every month I owed NTL £11.50 for the phone line and £11.50 for the Cable TV service. She did not believe me when I reminded her I dont have the Cable TV service and that I had been told on 23rd March 06 that I could keep the telephone line rental free of charge whilst I still had
the broadband account. This seemed to be sheer lunatic accounting. Louise claimed the words I spoke simply could not be true.

She retracted from the phone call saying she had to go to a meeting.

Mark phoned from the disconnections department saying he had arranged disconnection of the phone line. He said there was no charge for this. He said somebody had changed the accounting system that very day because earlier in the day when we spoke it correctly showed up that I paid nothing for the line rental, and that suddenly a charge of £11.50 had been added for it. I asked him to send an email to Louise Branson to ask her to call me on my mobile.

Louise phoned back and tried to imply that all the time since the TV box was removed I had in fact been paying £11.50 a month for the phone line. I explained again this was not so and that the statements that I had in front of me did not reflect the position she was trying to describe. She again opted out of the phone call to speak to her manager.

Louise spoke with her manager, Elaine Burkhill and then called me back. Louise told me this whole problem was caused "because I was one of those customers who try to get services out of NTL for free". I ended the conversation at that point explaining I would address this whole matter with someone else at NTL.

Another round of conversations later (about half an hour holding, being put to and thro, listening to that music, and finally after explaining that because I considered this whole mess could be perceived as a load of false accounting and that I was willing to speak to the police about the matter I finally was called back by somebody who seemed finally able to talk business.

I spent about half an hour or more on the phone with her breaking down bit by bit, month by month, error by error, the exact amounts that were still being "incorrectly" taken from my account. She ended the conversation with a promise that she would issue a cheque to me on 4th October for the amount owing which was at that stage £142.20. She explained that Louise had arranged for a manual credit of £66 and so she would raise and send me a cheque for the balance of £142.20 minus this £66 minus a "part month credit" of £29. She said she would phone me on October 4th to advise me of the amount.

On October 4th she phoned me while I was out and she phoned the next day while I was out and again left a message. I had advised her previously of good times to call. I was not well that week and have only just started to feel better now, so I have left a message for her to call me back. She promised she would issue the amount owing by cheque on 4th October. NTL already have my mobile number so they could easily have contacted me if they really wanted to bother. They could even have written to confirm how they were going to sort out this financial confusion they had caused but the idea of them putting anything in writing seems to be beneath their business idealogy.

Because I have been ill and not able to call back for while, NTL have decided to hold on still to the money they took out of my account and they have still not sent the cheque nor raised this manual credit.

I have checked my bank statements and they have not put the amount they owe into my account either.

I wonder why they claim they are something along the lines of Britains "favourite" service with their "Hooray for NTL" campaign!

Still waiting for them to come back to me.

Total time of my own time wasted on this so far is about 5 working hours.

You can guess how I'll vote!
Old 31-10-2006, 20:56   #820
Easyjet
Inactive

Easyjet is an unknown quantity at this point

Dancer you are spot on. NTL are losing old customers (8 years myself) because of their poor customer services, and repeated problems with bills. I don't think they care about the amount of time we spend explaining to them how they should be doing their job.
Old 12-11-2006, 19:57   #821
info4u
Inactive

info4u is on a distinguished roadinfo4u is on a distinguished road

I have heard about the reputation NTL has for service excellence is poor and that there was complaints unseen to (a big pile so rumour has it in the offices, in telewest).
Good news is the merge from Telewest meant mixing the best of both companies.

NTL are currently been introduced with the customer service levels from Telewest, so NTL customers (should start to notice a change on how their experiance is with the customer care is since we are aligning the level of service ready for when the new company has been fully finalised)

one of the reasons why NTL apparently had such poor customer care experiance is because 90% of the staff was new (They had a high churn internal staff members leaving) meaning the vast majority are inexperianced (less than 6 months with the company) including managers and many left because every call was a screamer (complaint).

(Please note this is only from what I have heard and may not be facts)

What is for certain is that NTL are adopting the customer care experiance from Telewest as they have sent people from Telewest up to retrain their existing staff members at NTL

Good news is Telewest has always had a better reputation for its customer care experiance to NTL and with NTL taking on our methods of driving customer care it should be a turn around for those customers at NTL
Old 13-11-2006, 18:27   #822
neoapple
Inactive

Services: 10MB BB, Family Pack TV
neoapple is on a distinguished roadneoapple is on a distinguished road

was on hold for 30mins...............
Old 21-11-2006, 16:06   #823
bpshen
Inactive

bpshen is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just signed up to NTL, mainly because analogue TVreception is getting worse and currently there is no terrestrial freeview transmission in this area.

NTL were due to install tomorrow and I've just had a call (4:00PM on the day before) to say 'unfortunately we can't install tomorrow as we've just realised it's a 2 man job'. WTF?! As if they don't know it already!! They are now due on 29th Nov. I'll post then as to how that goes.
Old 21-11-2006, 21:28   #824
otguk
Inactive

Services: SuperHub upto 50Mbps, TiVo, x2 HD boxes, Phone @£105 per month.
otguk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpshen View Post
I've just signed up to NTL, mainly because analogue TVreception is getting worse and currently there is no terrestrial freeview transmission in this area.

NTL were due to install tomorrow and I've just had a call (4:00PM on the day before) to say 'unfortunately we can't install tomorrow as we've just realised it's a 2 man job'. WTF?! As if they don't know it already!! They are now due on 29th Nov. I'll post then as to how that goes.
WTF, tell them to sling there hook. Your not even a customer(there is a cooling of period? Or is that the plan, install everything after the cooling of period is up and then you cant cancel!) and they are treating you like... well, goto sky, move house anything but ntl, if they treat you like this b4 you get there service your going to get well done l8r on.
Old 21-11-2006, 21:50   #825
lostandconfused
Inactive

actually the cooling off period starts when you have been installed not from when you have signed up.

also they probably did a site servey the day before and found out there was external cable work that needed doing which is why it needed a 2 man crew. a normal installation is done by one tech
Closed Thread