Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 16:05   #3256
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

I'll take downquark's opinion over anyone else on this site on matters scientific.
Old 12-05-2020, 16:19   #3257
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I'll take downquark's opinion over anyone else on this site on matters scientific.
Sure - but what we have from Downquark is an estimated startpoint and a consequential current point. The points in between are as true as all the other points. But what is the method for correction? The unknown cases, the asymptomatic cases and so on.

What factor are they using to include these unknowns and what is the basis for that factor? For example can you project the curve backward because you presumably have the function/equation from current statistics.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 12-05-2020, 16:27   #3258
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Sure - but what we have from Downquark is an estimated startpoint and a consequential current point. The points in between are as true as all the other points. But what is the method for correction? The unknown cases, the asymptomatic cases and so on.

What factor are they using to include these unknowns and what is the basis for that factor? For example can you project the curve backward because you presumably have the function/equation from current statistics.

Excellent questions. You can correct the data with antibody tests and randomised testing. The antibody tests tell you if you have had the virus, because your body is keeping antibodies for it. Random testing then gives you a sample you can extrapolate to the entire population. This is currently being dogged by a lack of reliable tests (every country in the world now wants them and China is selling fakes) and issues about knowing how long you keep immunity to the virus. Some reports are saying you lose immunity fairly quickly.

If you have the R value you can project the curve anyway you want. However as mentioned as you enable or remove precautions that will alter the R value so you will get a kink in the curve as you start or stop a lockdown.

The horny gentleman from imperial college had a computer model for predicting how it changes. It has somewhat been pillared for containing bugs (of the nature I fix in my job), but they insist it is still accurate. But this will be judged by history.

What I would be worrying about is the difference between the lock down R value and the semi-lock down social distancing R value. If there is no difference we need not keep the lock down. If it shoots back up then we may have to lock down again in a few months.

I realise this is all frustrating but viruses are not easy things to understand.
Old 12-05-2020, 16:42   #3259
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Excellent questions. You can correct the data with antibody tests and randomised testing. The antibody tests tell you if you have had the virus, because your body is keeping antibodies for it. Random testing then gives you a sample you can extrapolate to the entire population. This is currently being dogged by a lack of reliable tests (every country in the world now wants them and China is selling fakes) and issues about knowing how long you keep immunity to the virus. Some reports are saying you lose immunity fairly quickly.

If you have the R value you can project the curve anyway you want. However as mentioned as you enable or remove precautions that will alter the R value so you will get a kink in the curve as you start or stop a lockdown.

The horny gentleman from imperial college had a computer model for predicting how it changes. It has somewhat been pillared for containing bugs (of the nature I fix in my job), but they insist it is still accurate. But this will be judged by history.

What I would be worrying about is the difference between the lock down R value and the semi-lock down social distancing R value. If there is no difference we need not keep the lock down. If it shoots back up then we may have to lock down again in a few months.

I realise this is all frustrating but viruses are not easy things to understand.
I do a lot of statistical analysis of a different sort (and have reliable software to assist with modelling - nothing to do with viruses, though).

Random sampling: If it were totally random testing, I would imagine that there would need to be various extrapolations to allow for bias as the environment for the samples will not be the same.

Assuming that 'they' can alight on what would be a statistically significant sample, this could be done by having regional overlays that effectively show the variance applicable to the national figure.

Really difficult stuff - unless I've missed something.

Old 12-05-2020, 16:46   #3260
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Yep you are right, I should have said representative random sampling. Supposedly the epidemiologists know how to do this, but this will be a source of dispute if the results are controversial.

(They are already disputing some results from America where they put requests up on facebook and then claimed that as random)
Old 12-05-2020, 17:01   #3261
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Going by the news up this end of the country, Cleethorpes is about as safe as you'll get too
I noticed that the other week, East and West Lindsey are about the lowest death rates in the UK.

Time to visit Skeggy for a walk

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 12-05-2020, 17:26   #3262
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Seph just posted in red and I’m more worried about what that means than Coronavirus.
Old 12-05-2020, 17:41   #3263
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Seph just posted in red and I’m more worried about what that means than Coronavirus.
You'll be wanting my babies next!

Have you compared your maths with mine yet?

Old 12-05-2020, 17:46   #3264
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You'll be wanting my babies next!

Have you compared your maths with mine yet?

I have. That was my “aha!” response. I used Excel as suggested.
Old 12-05-2020, 17:46   #3265
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Just guesswork again then, using incomplete and possibly flawed data

Also, using the formula shown by Hugh, my neighborhood has an R value of 0 so I should be free to party & BBQ to my hearts content . . . in fact other neighborhoods with a zero rating could join in

of course, none of us have been tested so we really aren't sure if we've had it, got it, or are naturally immune to it

Going by the news up this end of the country, Cleethorpes is about as safe as you'll get too
locals go up past the leisure centre no amusements and better beach, remember to book now for your summer hols
Old 12-05-2020, 18:03   #3266
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
I have. That was my “aha!” response. I used Excel as suggested.
"Aha" is satisfactory!

Old 12-05-2020, 18:42   #3267
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Money can be found, it always is
I agree, it can. It also has to be paid back.
Old 12-05-2020, 19:19   #3268
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Old 12-05-2020, 19:32   #3269
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

It was on TV last night that the money that we borrowed from America to fund WWII didn't get repaid until 2006.
Old 12-05-2020, 19:57   #3270
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
That's not how quantitative easing works. It may be the case that the money does need removed at a later date however there's no guarantee it would. You are another one confusing macroeconomics with your household budget.

Even if the money did have to removed from money supply - there's strong support for the lockdown. Would people be willing to may minimal amounts of increased tax or VAT over the next 5-10 years to literally support themselves now for a mere few months? A move that would protect employees, protect small businesses and leave the economy better placed to bounce back?

Of course they would. However nobody wants to raise the question of tax reforms when the human price of underfunded public services is so prevalent on their TV.
Closed Thread