Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 05-08-2021, 16:13   #286
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecatt73 View Post
Couldn't agree more. I've recently cancelled Netflix (for the second time - last time was for three months two years ago) for exactly these reasons. Plus I've got plenty of blu rays & dvds I've never watched, not to mention purchased digital content.

I won't say I'll never subscribe to Netflix (or another streamer) again, but in future I'll just sub for a month at a time to watch a particular show, if I sub at all.
Do Netflix ever do retention or 'come back' deals?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2021, 16:15   #287
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
No
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 16:16   #288
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
No, but they don’t tie you in to a contract either. You can come and go as you please.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 18:00   #289
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Further devaluing your current Sky subscription , its now getting to the point where I say what exactly is the point of a Sky subscription.
I don’t think so, muppetman. You need to remember that these are AVOD streamers that are provided free of charge. It is also the half-way house to the eventual abolition of the pay-tv channels.

If the content is integrated into Sky’s system as they say it will, all the better. Everything on one box.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Quote:
No point just buy a streaming device its much cheaper.
If it was up to me, I would. However, my wife is tech-averse and is still trying to adjust to the 360.

If it’s all integrated into one box, it makes things so much easier than having to access multiple watchlists.

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
We’ve been approaching for years by your count.
And there are some years to go by my count.

However, if you cannot see what is happening before your very eyes, there’s not going to be anything I can do to make you see it.
Old 05-08-2021, 18:02   #290
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

You are missing the main point you are still paying the best part of £45 plus just to get entry to these with Sky if you want HD and multiroom capability.

If you want streaming services its much better to elect for Freesat or Freeview topped up with the services of your choice you can then add/remove these as required.
Old 05-08-2021, 18:08   #291
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
What at it for playing smart and knowing how the streaming world is growing so investing in it?
It's called good business practise and is the way forward.

Edit: VM have quite a few things in the pipeline.
I do hope so, Legendkiller. They are behind the curve at the moment, having started with great promise when they gave us Netflix.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Quote:
You are missing the main point you are still paying the best part of £45 plus just to get entry to these with Sky if you want HD and multiroom capability.

If you want streaming services its much better to elect for Freesat or Freeview topped up with the services of your choice.
As I have explained, though, with all the streamers on the Sky system, you can access them all with just one watchlist.

Your original point was that the new AVOD streamers would devalue Sky, when all they are doing is adding free services without taking anything away. Surely, that’s added value?

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

Quote:
But the base entry package to get all this devalues with each deal they announce , if you want all this content I'm not sure why you'd pay for Sky and its 18 month lock ins to get it but each to their own.
I can’t agree with that view at all for the reason I have given. Sky won’t lose any subscribers by what it has done - quite the contrary, I would have thought.
Old 05-08-2021, 18:09   #292
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I do hope so, Legendkiller. They are behind the curve at the moment, having started with great promise when they gave us Netflix.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

As I have explained, though, with all the streamers on the Sky system, you can access them all with just one watchlist.

Your original point was that the new AVOD streamers would devalue Sky, when all they are doing is adding free services without taking anything away. Surely, that’s added value?
As far as I'm aware I can't add things to one watch list on Sky Q and I'm still currently using the service. How are these additions free ? The Paramount + service requires you to have Sky Cinema which many don't have these days and last time I looked that was an additional £11.
Old 05-08-2021, 18:15   #293
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecatt73 View Post
Couldn't agree more. I've recently cancelled Netflix (for the second time - last time was for three months two years ago) for exactly these reasons. Plus I've got plenty of blu rays & dvds I've never watched, not to mention purchased digital content.

I won't say I'll never subscribe to Netflix (or another streamer) again, but in future I'll just sub for a month at a time to watch a particular show, if I sub at all.
But isn’t that the beauty of the streamers? No contractual commitments, so you can chop and change every month if you want to.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

Quote:
As far as I'm aware I can't add things to one watch list on Sky Q and I'm still currently using the service. How are these additions free ? The Paramount + service requires you to have Sky Cinema which many don't have these days and last time I looked that was an additional £11.
Yes, sorry, I didn’t realise you didn’t have Sky Cinema.

But I was sure you could bookmark Netflix and Prime shows on Sky - I thought it was supposed to be an integrated system. You can even do that on the V6.
Old 05-08-2021, 18:22   #294
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Whatever happened to Sky Q via broadband?
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 18:22   #295
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Integrated in that Amazon Prime and Netflix titles see showcased with the Sky On Demand content but that's about it as far as I'm aware.
Old 05-08-2021, 18:26   #296
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Integrated in that Amazon Prime and Netflix titles see showcased with the Sky On Demand content but that's about it as far as I'm aware.
Can you not bookmark on demand content though?
Old 05-08-2021, 18:32   #297
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Can you not bookmark on demand content though?
No don't think so
Old 05-08-2021, 19:14   #298
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
No don't think so
I’m seeing my daughter at the weekend and I will find out for you.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Whatever happened to Sky Q via broadband?
It’s just launched….in Germany.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2021...sion-of-sky-q/
Old 05-08-2021, 22:54   #299
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
However, if you cannot see what is happening before your very eyes, there’s not going to be anything I can do to make you see it.
Okay Mystic Meg.

By definition I can only see the present with my “very eyes”. Your projections for the future are merely that - speculative, often based on what you desire to happen rather than the likelihood of them happening. Economics - which underpins the great capitalist endeavour - would indicate you are much further than you opine.

I’m still waiting on whether linear television as understood by the rest of the forum over IPTV is linear by your own definition. Which as we all know would significantly negate your ability to further shift the goalposts as you have done before.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 23:04   #300
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Does the Sky integrated search return results include services you're not subscribed to?

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Quote:
No
That's a shame, but last time I looked Netflix was only £4 via Sky with free HD/UHD if you already subscribed to those services.

Now TV can be had for as little as £1 a month with retention deals. I wonder if free Paramount+ will be added to Sky Cinema when bought through Now TV?

I find that Sky Cinema is usually a lot cheaper through Now TV than via VM, but I still don't find it worth subscribing to.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote