Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why TV only customers are only allowed to have an old Tivo box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Why TV only customers are only allowed to have an old Tivo box

Old 17-10-2021, 18:27   #31
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Why TV only customers are only allowed to have an old Tivo box

Yes, there is truth in that. But the same issue applies for all 'classic' pay TV providers, not just Virgin Media.
Old 18-10-2021, 14:05   #32
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
The problem there being that, as the missing services are largely streaming services, customers may decide to get a third party streaming device rather than an upgrade from Virgin.
Are there any other services and channels that are not available to TV only customers who can only have the Tivo box?
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 14:44   #33
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
The problem there being that, as the missing services are largely streaming services, customers may decide to get a third party streaming device rather than an upgrade from Virgin.
A thing I missed in the logic there - most customers still have a TiVo box because they don't have Virgin Fibre.

So unless they have broadband from another provider, they wouldn't be able to use another streaming service.
Old 18-10-2021, 15:01   #34
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Last time I looked, TV-only (is it still called Solus?) costs around £50-60pm for Maxit (I can't get the bundle builder to work to check exactly). So, unless you want BT Sport, it's an expensive entry point compared to Sky. Even then, with Sky you'd pay a similar price and get Netflix included as well as BT Sport and a Q box.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 18:44   #35
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
A thing I missed in the logic there - most customers still have a TiVo box because they don't have Virgin Fibre.

So unless they have broadband from another provider, they wouldn't be able to use another streaming service.
Just following your logic of an upgrade from Virgin, which would need a broadband connection. I wouldn't like to guess at how many of Virgin's TV only customers already have broadband from another provider but I'm sure they exist. It would also be interesting to know the actual amount of TiVo boxes still around in homes with Virgin Fibre.

---------- Post added at 18:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
Are there any other services and channels that are not available to TV only customers who can only have the Tivo box?
The 4K channels. I can't think of anything else. After that, it depends if you are comparing the TiVo with the V6 or the 360 box and if you prefer to record from SD channels to save disk space.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 15:51   #36
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

I'm one of them who gets broadband from another provider and I'm happily contracted to that provider.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 20:21   #37
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

The only Virgin TV only customer I know has Virgin TV because they can't get Sky. They won't use Virgin for broadband as they had long term over-utilisation issues with Virgin in the past.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote