Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Just because ---- openreach, sky , talk talk etc

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Just because ---- openreach, sky , talk talk etc

Old 21-03-2022, 17:24   #1
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Just because ---- openreach, sky , talk talk etc

Because l am curious nothing more . Understand that internet , other that virgin and like providers. Come to your property via openreach line. At what point does it actually become under the control of the provider . Thinking it goes to local exchange , still openreach or do they all have there own kit? Is it switched out at that point . Thinking gas electric etc
Old 21-03-2022, 17:40   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Just because ---- openreach, sky , talk talk etc

When it's billing time?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 17:42   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Most internet providers on the UK use the Openreach network. As far as I am aware only cable companies do not
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 19:30   #4
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Most internet providers on the UK use the Openreach network. As far as I am aware only cable companies do not
That I understand the question was at what point is it the providers equipment not openreach's
Old 21-03-2022, 21:30   #5
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
That I understand the question was at what point is it the providers equipment not openreach's
as far as I am aware never
Old 22-03-2022, 16:54   #6
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Ok so what is the reason people in the same area have problem and others don't if the kit is the same for both
Old 22-03-2022, 17:08   #7
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Hell of a lot of lines all sorts of things can go wrong . Same thing could be said of a virgin media user.
Old 22-03-2022, 22:01   #8
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That’s incorrect. There are several permutations broadband providers can use when using OpenReach’s Network. Much in the same way MVNOs work.

The best one (most independent one) is where the provider simply uses the cable from the exchange to the property (be that copper/fibre or a mixture of both), with everything else being broadband providers. The equipment in the exchange (DSLAM), the backhaul core network etc.

It is very possible for one provider to provide a better service over the OpenReach network than another. The only thing guaranteed to be the same for all is the cable distance and the limitations around that.

Things like the contention ratio, or if there is a cable damage, issue on the backhaul network, the vendor equipment (ie, who manufactures the DSLAM, some are better than others)

All that said, in regards to speed on OpenReach, you’ll pretty much get the same from anyone when it works. Reliability, customer service etc can vary……..a lot. Especially “reliability”.
Old 22-03-2022, 22:20   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
That’s incorrect. There are several permutations broadband providers can use when using OpenReach’s Network. Much in the same way MVNOs work.

The best one (most independent one) is where the provider simply uses the cable from the exchange to the property (be that copper/fibre or a mixture of both), with everything else being broadband providers. The equipment in the exchange (DSLAM), the backhaul core network etc.

It is very possible for one provider to provide a better service over the OpenReach network than another. The only thing guaranteed to be the same for all is the cable distance and the limitations around that.

Things like the contention ratio, or if there is a cable damage, issue on the backhaul network, the vendor equipment (ie, who manufactures the DSLAM, some are better than others)

All that said, in regards to speed on OpenReach, you’ll pretty much get the same from anyone when it works. Reliability, customer service etc can vary……..a lot. Especially “reliability”.
Thanks. My knowledge on this subject is limited. I am quite shocked it took so long for someone on a forum of this type with more knowledge than myself to post
Old 22-03-2022, 22:47   #10
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

FTTC does not have a DSLM in the exchange, that is ADSL and would be an LLU exchange.
FTTC has an SVLAN in the exchange that routes traffic to the relevant ISP for them to further route it via thair network.

That said a lot of ISP's networks are via Openreach leased firbre optic lines thanks to Colossus.

Attached Images
File Type: png colussus.png (245.0 KB, 62 views)
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 23:50   #11
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
FTTC does not have a DSLM in the exchange, that is ADSL and would be an LLU exchange.
FTTC has an SVLAN in the exchange that routes traffic to the relevant ISP for them to further route it via thair network.

That said a lot of ISP's networks are via Openreach leased firbre optic lines thanks to Colossus.

DSLAM, MSAN, MSIL….. whatever. The point I was making is that not all services over OpenReach by other providers are not the same. I wasn’t trying to give a masterclass, but feel free to give one yourself.
Old 24-03-2022, 18:34   #12
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
DSLAM, MSAN, MSIL….. whatever. The point I was making is that not all services over OpenReach by other providers are not the same. I wasn’t trying to give a masterclass, but feel free to give one yourself.
Sory but I still have no idea at what point say talk talk , merge what they provide with everyone else ?
Old 24-03-2022, 20:16   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Sory but I still have no idea at what point say talk talk , merge what they provide with everyone else ?
At the exchange VSLAN.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 20:46   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
That isnt what you asked.

Quote:
Generally, the only equipment belonging to the provider is the router they give you.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 20:02   #15
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
That isnt what you asked.

Generally, the only equipment belonging to the provider is the router they give you.
What I was curious about is this , electricity is provided by whom ever you buy it from but it is not what you get to use. So buy green does not mean you get green. Try to put my first question as simply as I can. Sign with say Vodafone , you pay them but at what point do they and their kit,( on leaving or entering your house ) take control .router excluded. The pole is openreach as is I guess the exchange , does it then get separated and sent on to them ? Or is it just all done by openreach ? And really just down to them to do all the "hard" wiring / sending it around the internet