Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Free V6 box

Old 08-02-2018, 14:08   #181
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: Free V6 box

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The recording lights were useful on the Tivo, which only had three tuners, but with more tuners on the V6, I find this unnecessary.
My partner last night used all 6 tuners that's the first time it has happened since having the V6
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2018, 14:50   #182
toby
cf.member

Services: Samsung 49" 4K, Samsung 42" Plasma TV 720p, 2 x V6 boxes, 1 tivo box
toby is an unknown quantity at this point

How long do we have before they stop the old Tivo box service?
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 14:51   #183
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There are no current plans to stop the older TiVo boxes from working.

It's the V+ HD, V HD and V boxes that will go before the older TiVo box will, and there isn't a date for that yet either.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:15   #184
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Or you can press Info on a live channel or recording and scroll down to the tuner list which will show what they're all up to.
Hi Ben, I wasn't aware that this was possible. I've just checked on my box upstairs and 3 of the 6 tuners seem to be on My5.... Any ideas why that would be?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:41   #185
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

When the box boots up, all tuners go to the same channel, and will remain there until you use them for something else. So those three tuners haven't been needed for any other channels since the box was booted.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 14:16   #186
JayAy
Inactive

JayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enough

I have two Tivos and know which one I want to get upgraded. I can't use the online upgrade link it leads to a generic VM HTTP 500 error when clicking on the "let's go" button on https://store.virginmedia.com/existi.../v6eligibility. So will take the phone route to request the update.

What piece or pieces of information will be required to identify the correct Tivo? I want to have this ready when I call.
JayAy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 14:54   #187
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Read the 16 character serial number from the box label. It'll start "C" if it's a Cisco box, or "S" if it's a Samsung.

If they do end up taking the wrong box off, it's not really a big problem. Just call up and they'll swap it over.
Old 09-02-2018, 15:10   #188
JayAy
Inactive

JayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enoughJayAy will become famous soon enough

Thanks SP.

I was also asked for the NAGRA serial number too - which, of course, is conveniently placed on the bottom of the box! Order placed.

Last edited by JayAy; 09-02-2018 at 15:36.
JayAy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 15:16   #189
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'd also note the Nagra Paring ID that's in:

Help & Settings > System Info > Diagnostics.
Old 09-02-2018, 16:18   #190
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAy View Post
I can't use the online upgrade link it leads to a generic VM HTTP 500 error when clicking on the "let's go" button on https://store.virginmedia.com/existi.../v6eligibility.

That makes 2 of us...
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 22:31   #191
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
When the box boots up, all tuners go to the same channel, and will remain there until you use them for something else. So those three tuners haven't been needed for any other channels since the box was booted.
It's a bit of a pain that they do this.

A really useful feature would be if you could tell the box to park it's tuners on certain channels when they arent in use. Would mean you can then flick between those 5 channels (with the 6th following you to other channels) and they would always have a 90 minute rewind buffer. Add in a priority and the tuner on the lowest pirority channel could be used for scheduled recordings.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 23:19   #192
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
A really useful feature would be if you could tell the box to park it's tuners on certain channels when they arent in use. Would mean you can then flick between those 5 channels (with the 6th following you to other channels) and they would always have a 90 minute rewind buffer. Add in a priority and the tuner on the lowest pirority channel could be used for scheduled recordings.
A slightly niche requirement! You could set a short manual recording on each of the channels at the same time each day.
Old 10-02-2018, 14:04   #193
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Looking for some guidance here. My new V6 has just been delivered (2 days early!) along with a SHub3 which I do not want to install as I have a SHub2 upstairs which works perfectly well. Could someone advise if I still need to phone VM to activate or is that a requirement if you're installing the SHub3.
Thanks in advance.
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 14:39   #194
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

You need to phone to activate the V6 before setting it up.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 14:46   #195
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
You need to phone to activate the V6 before setting it up.
Thanks
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote