Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 29-09-2019, 16:04   #706
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

It’s not a surrender bill. It’s making sure Boris can’t force No Deal unless Parliament approves it. That’s all it does. It doesn’t reverse Brexit, it doesn’t stop Boris going for a General Election and a Parliamentary mandate. Doesn’t prevent “no deal” at a later date.

It surrenders precisely nothing. It’s a delaying mechanism, that’s all.

Boris lying is an observable fact. It’s not Parliamentary to say he lied in a statement to the House of Commons, that’s all. Public statements, newspaper columns, all fair game on the truth barometer.

And absolutely you can quote me on October 31st. I played this game in March.
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2019, 16:11   #707
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Just a thought. Boris writes a letter requesting an extention on 30th Oct in keeping with the BennAct (before the 31st) puts a first class stamp on it and sends an underling to the post office to get proof of posting.

Letter sent with the request before the 31st.
Proof recieved.
Letter recieved too late to act on.
Law upheld, we've still left.
Old 29-09-2019, 16:12   #708
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s not a surrender bill. It’s making sure Boris can’t force No Deal unless Parliament approves it. That’s all it does. It doesn’t reverse Brexit, it doesn’t stop Boris going for a General Election and a Parliamentary mandate. Doesn’t prevent “no deal” at a later date.

It surrenders precisely nothing. It’s a delaying mechanism, that’s all.

Boris lying is an observable fact. It’s not Parliamentary to say he lied in a statement to the House of Commons, that’s all. Public statements, newspaper columns, all fair game on the truth barometer.

And absolutely you can quote me on October 31st. I played this game in March.
It's all hype, and you know it. Most Brexiteers would agree that Benn's cup of cold sick is a surrender bill.

Anyhow, I know your take on this and you know mine so let's just accept that and leave it there before drawing yet another circle to go around multiple times.
Old 29-09-2019, 16:14   #709
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
it doesn’t stop Boris going for a General Election
no we have parliament to do that.

Quote:
Boris lying is an observable fact.
And he is different from the all the politicians that said they would respect the result of the referendum (all on record) and have since moved from that position or by their actions prevented it.

Nothing. So I don’t buy the faux outrage.
Old 29-09-2019, 16:21   #710
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It's all hype, and you know it. Most Brexiteers would agree that Benn's cup of cold sick is a surrender bill.

Anyhow, I know your take on this and you know mine so let's just accept that and leave it there before drawing yet another circle to go around multiple times.
Yes, if you are happy to stop trolling I’m happy to stop challenging you.

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Just a thought. Boris writes a letter requesting an extention on 30th Oct in keeping with the BennAct (before the 31st) puts a first class stamp on it and sends an underling to the post office to get proof of posting.

Letter sent with the request before the 31st.
Proof recieved.
Letter recieved too late to act on.
Law upheld, we've still left.
I’m sure Governments don’t routinely use post to exchange information in the field of international diplomacy.
Old 29-09-2019, 16:23   #711
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
no we have parliament to do that.

And he is different from the all the politicians that said they would respect the result of the referendum (all on record) and have since moved from that position or by their actions prevented it.

Nothing. So I don’t buy the faux outrage.
Quite, Pierre. It's all such a nonsense and yet they continue on. The remainers in Parliament who are blocking Brexit have got one hell of a shock coming, so I hope they are enjoying their moment of glory.

I am truly excited by Boris's agenda, which I think will win the majority over, and when people finally experience the benefits of Brexit, a completely different, optimistic mood will envelop the country.

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Quote:

Oh, sorry, no offence meant!
Old 29-09-2019, 16:24   #712
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Quite, Pierre. It's all such a nonsense and yet they continue on. The remainers in Parliament who are blocking Brexit have got one hell of a shock coming, so I hope they are enjoying their moment of glory.

I am truly excited by Boris's agenda, which I think will win the majority over, and when people finally experience the benefits of Brexit, a completely different, optimistic mood will envelop the country.

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Oh, sorry, no offence meant!
If that’s true what are you getting all animated about? Sit back, slippers on, feet up, Brexit happens, Boris wins election, glorious future?
Old 29-09-2019, 16:25   #713
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

I’m sure Governments don’t routinely use post to exchange information in the field of international diplomacy.
I'm sure they don't but it would comply with the "Surrender Act" as specified.
Old 29-09-2019, 16:30   #714
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
So you are ok with the opposition calling Boris a liar?

All I am saying is that the opposition cannot take the moral high ground here. They are just as guilty of name-calling and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous. If they want any legitimacy at all when they claim to be oh so offended, then they can stop the name-calling themselves and set a good example.

As for Boris, I actually believe that he means it when he says we will leave on 31 October. You underestimate him if you don't believe he will stick to that.
False equivalence. Calling someone who's been sacked by The Times for making up quotes and sacked by Michael Howard as shadow arts minister for lying about an affair - a liar is correct. Calling people who vote differently from you traitors is not.
I don't underestimate the PM, I just review the facts. He can't leave without a deal and getting a deal eluded his predecessor for three years and he's only got a month!
Old 29-09-2019, 16:33   #715
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
He can't leave without a deal
According to whom?
Old 29-09-2019, 16:34   #716
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
False equivalence. Calling someone who's been sacked by The Times for making up quotes and sacked by Michael Howard as shadow arts minister for lying about an affair - a liar is correct. Calling people who vote differently from you traitors is not.
I don't underestimate the PM, I just review the facts. He can't leave without a deal and getting a deal eluded his predecessor for three years and he's only got a month!
Except that they are being called traitors because they are ignoring the result of the referendum. Not because they voted 'remain'. You are deliberately skewing the argument here, Andrew.

By the way, if we can't leave with a suitable deal, we will leave without one. You may not think that's possible. Watch and learn.
Old 29-09-2019, 16:36   #717
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

What if he sends two letters?

Letter One saying he is (under duress) asking for an extension.
Letter Two telling them to ignore the previous letter

Is it like these TV quiz shows where the first answer is the only one accepted?
Old 29-09-2019, 16:39   #718
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
If that’s true what are you getting all animated about? Sit back, slippers on, feet up, Brexit happens, Boris wins election, glorious future?
You would think the good folk of Wokingham would be too busy planning street parties than trying to defend the use of potentially provocative language.
Old 29-09-2019, 16:50   #719
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
What if he sends two letters?

Letter One saying he is (under duress) asking for an extension.
Letter Two telling them to ignore the previous letter

Is it like these TV quiz shows where the first answer is the only one accepted?
You drive a bus through the Benn Act anyway.

He has to “seek” to obtain an extension, not “obtain” an extension. He has to write a letter “ in the form” of the one appendixed, not write that letter word for word.

We’ll see.
Old 29-09-2019, 17:02   #720
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
You drive a bus through the Benn Act anyway.

He has to “seek” to obtain an extension, not “obtain” an extension. He has to write a letter “ in the form” of the one appendixed, not write that letter word for word.

We’ll see.
One thing we've learnt of late is that we risk underestimating legal brains at our peril.
Closed Thread