Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 13:18   #331
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnasimmons View Post
I actually already do that but it would be great if you could access all tv via the V6
I agree, but it seems that all hope of SA coming to VM is now lost. Virgin is not willing to add Now to the apps as BT and Talk Talk have done either, which is understandable, although they could have done this by tying it in with the need for customers to have the Sky channels in their package in order to access it. But there is no real advantage for Virgin viewers in that because I dare say Sky would not permit integration, which means we couldn’t search for SA programmes on the V6.

The channel may be wound up anyway at the end of Sky’s contract with HBO.
Old 04-04-2021, 15:30   #332
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree, but it seems that all hope of SA coming to VM is now lost. Virgin is not willing to add Now to the apps as BT and Talk Talk have done either, which is understandable, although they could have done this by tying it in with the need for customers to have the Sky channels in their package in order to access it. But there is no real advantage for Virgin viewers in that because I dare say Sky would not permit integration, which means we couldn’t search for SA programmes on the V6.

Very unlikely considering they also show SKY originals, Showtime and Starz content on there amongst others.
SKY are planning to seriously invest in original content, and by serious we're talking big money.
Old 04-04-2021, 15:52   #333
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

As LK2K states, this seems unlikely - HBO programming has been farmed out across multiple channel brands so it is not completely reliant on that output and remember it is a pan-European brand for Sky's high end drama output especially as they increase their content budget and fill their Sky Studios pipeline with new shows.

HBO's deal gives them a clear runway and a buffer to build that pipeline and it's shows like Hausen, Das Boot, Domina and Django that really suggest the future of Sky Atlantic as the primary home for high end drama ordered by Sky Studios, made across the UK/IE, Germany and Italy but serving all of those territories.
Old 04-04-2021, 22:21   #334
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
You should add "unless you're name is jfman"

I’m on a deal for Now just it’s still about 300% of what Max is paying.
Old 05-04-2021, 16:34   #335
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
As LK2K states, this seems unlikely - HBO programming has been farmed out across multiple channel brands so it is not completely reliant on that output and remember it is a pan-European brand for Sky's high end drama output especially as they increase their content budget and fill their Sky Studios pipeline with new shows.

HBO's deal gives them a clear runway and a buffer to build that pipeline and it's shows like Hausen, Das Boot, Domina and Django that really suggest the future of Sky Atlantic as the primary home for high end drama ordered by Sky Studios, made across the UK/IE, Germany and Italy but serving all of those territories.
I’m sure you are right, but the name ‘Atlantic’ would no longer be appropriate.

To be honest, they could put all the Sky Studios stuff on Sky One and drop some of the dross. That would make it a pretty good channel.
Old 05-04-2021, 18:01   #336
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

To be honest, they could put all the Sky Studios stuff on Sky One and drop some of the dross. That would make it a pretty good channel.
Well I wouldn't imagine there would be a total loss of US programming - I would imagine there would still be acquisitions, co-productions, other possible output partners and (most likely) closer integration with NBCUniversal - plus the name is fairly distinctive among their portfolio so why drop it?
Old 05-04-2021, 20:20   #337
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
You should add "unless you're name is jfman"

Yeah....
Old 06-04-2021, 00:04   #338
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Aye they really should. a lot of companies keep a ton of channels open which could be condensed a great deal.

i know this is controversial but i always thought getting rid of BBC3 and keeping BBC2 and BBC4 was slightly redundant since they were aimed at the same at the same audience and had such similar shows.
Old 06-04-2021, 00:14   #339
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Aye they really should. a lot of companies keep a ton of channels open which could be condensed a great deal.

i know this is controversial but i always thought getting rid of BBC3 and keeping BBC2 and BBC4 was slightly redundant since they were aimed at the same at the same audience and had such similar shows.
I wouldn't say similar shows, but they basically moved several genres of shows off BBC2 to create BBC4 back in the day. My BBC2 watching reduced dramatically after BBC4 became available.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:19   #340
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

I think there's some non-UK/US content on Atlantic at the moment isn't there? Like Radio Times it's a strong brand which I'm sure will outlive its original framing.

As long as Sky makes money from having Sky One and Sky Atlantic then I see no reason for it to drop one of these channels. As others have noted, the cost of running an extra channel is marginal if you already have rights to the content. And how many people might ask why their subscriptions are rising this month if the number of Sky channels is being reduced?
Old 06-04-2021, 13:45   #341
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Quote:
I think there's some non-UK/US content on Atlantic at the moment isn't there? Like Radio Times it's a strong brand which I'm sure will outlive its original framing.

As long as Sky makes money from having Sky One and Sky Atlantic then I see no reason for it to drop one of these channels. As others have noted, the cost of running an extra channel is marginal if you already have rights to the content. And how many people might ask why their subscriptions are rising this month if the number of Sky channels is being reduced?
Absolutely - they’ve had shows which have originated from Australia like Upright and don’t forget some of Sky’s biggest critical and cultural hits have come from Italy and Germany like Gomorrah, The Young Pope, Das Boot and Babylon Berlin... I don’t think the name of the channel is as literal as it may have been back in 2011.
Old 08-04-2021, 14:54   #342
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

iPlayer for TVs is getting an update. There's no indication of the platform update schedule, but I've checked my V6 and the changes aren't implemented on it yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet...e-2966cf499ae2

The changes are mainly to do with playback controls and subtitles. Button changes and more flexibility for sizing basically.
Old 08-04-2021, 15:27   #343
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The changes are currently in the iPlayer beta option on the V6 if you really want to try them out before the BBC pushing the button on the main version
Old 08-04-2021, 20:14   #344
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The changes are currently in the iPlayer beta option on the V6 if you really want to try them out before the BBC pushing the button on the main version
Thanks BenMcr.
Old 09-04-2021, 15:33   #345
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Have been using for a while. Excellent improvement