Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear WTG624 v4 Weird connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear WTG624 v4 Weird connection

Old 03-04-2008, 17:04   #1
J'Kla
Inactive

J'Kla is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Netgear WTG624 v4 Weird connection

Ok my boss had an old netgear router and the wireless bit died last week so I told him with current prices go pick up a new one.

He got a Netgear wgt624 v4 very pretty with a cute set-up wizard.

Th wizard runs fine and it says it has retrieved an IP address from Virgin but the browser (both IE6 IE7 and Firefox all draw a blank but heres the weird thing connect the PC direct to the Cable Modem and its hunky dory.

Connect through the router and its dead as the proverbial doornail. But get a command prompt and you get a Ping from any global IP you care to use including the default web page one UK.Yahoo.com.

We rang Virgin Media and the help guy was as baffled as I was he reckoned it was a firewall problem so I tried various options on the router to no avail.

To cut things short I took the router back to PC World and they said they have had a few back already. I swapped it for a Lynksys it was not as easy to set up but it worked a dream. (go figure)

So if you are banging your head against the wall over this one don't. Stop damaging the wall and swap out the router for another brand.

J'Kla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2008, 17:27   #2
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one
Re: Netgear WTG624 v4 Weird connection

could have been a firmware issue, i have read somewhere Virgin had a problem with Belkin routers not retrieving IPs properly and that was firmware.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 18:10   #3
horwich
Inactive

horwich is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on my 2nd router. Still cannot connect. First one was a linksys, Just bought the same netgear one as above (and a new laptop) and still cannot connect.

Virgin suck
horwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 18:17   #4
Callumpy
cf.mega poster

Callumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant futureCallumpy has a brilliant future

i used to use a D-Link with virgin media, that also kept loosing connection with the server
Callumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 18:20   #5
UncleBooBoo

This is really weird, i have a Lynksys WRT54GS and it's had the same problem for the last 3 days!

I thought it was on it's way out or something but maybe VM have made some changes which is causing problems?

Go figure.
Old 03-04-2008, 18:40   #6
horwich
Inactive

I was using a Lynksys WRT54GS that couldnt connect at all. Just bought a netgear and a new laptop and still cant
Old 03-04-2008, 21:54   #7
J'Kla
Inactive

The guy at PC World actually beat me to saying "Virgin Media" so I would tend to think he had been there before.

Like I said earlier the Lynksys took some fiddling and it's wizard was almost useless.
Old 03-04-2008, 22:01   #8
horwich
Inactive

I'll be phoning VM tomorrow to cancel all my services with them. They are *****
Old 03-04-2008, 22:01   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I am using Netgear WTG624 v3, not had any problems with it at all
Old 03-04-2008, 22:07   #10
horwich
Inactive

v4 mine. can even get access to it with my nokia n95 which finds and connects to any fricking network. I can even connect to next doors within about 10 seconds!

Virgin are useless. BT for me tomorrow to get a phone line installed
Old 03-04-2008, 23:30   #11
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using a Netgear WGT624 v3 for over 2 years. Dead easy to set up and no problems except for it initially dropping connection every 2-3 days which was a known problem and was solved by a software update.
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:52   #12
horwich
Inactive

Pc works fine via modem. As soon as I try to connect via router, Whole connection is lost. Router is new and 2nd one I have tried.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:23   #13
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Any administrators want to tidy this up. There seems to be a few threads linked to the same problem:

Possible solution from thread "router will not share cable broadband".
Techfreak says:

I finally got my Netgear WGR614 working again with the Webstar 2100 modem !!

It turns out i cannot connect through Virgin's DNS Servers using my Netgear Router !

All i did was went to OPENDNS.com which is here :

http://www.opendns.com/

and followed the steps for 'COMPUTER' and 'ROUTER' to change two DNS Server addresses and bingo .....all is working again !!!

Strangely my 20mb connection also appears to be faster !!!

Sis in Law is having a similar problem so I'm going to try this for her over the weekend.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:41   #14
J'Kla
Inactive

Changing DNS's was one of the options I explored unsucsessfully
Old 05-04-2008, 10:00   #15
UncleBooBoo

Quote: