Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Question

Old 29-03-2008, 16:04   #1
CrAzY_2008
Inactive

CrAzY_2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Question

Hello, I have a VM XL Package and bought myself a router, and there's one thing that bugs me a lot is trying to sort things out like Static IPS etc. I have a Buffalo Wireless router, and I'm quite confused when going into the settings and receiving this:

To those who own a router or this one, is this normal for a cable connection? And how do i set up a static IP for port forwarding (Portforward.com is confusing, the Command Prompt and the router are giving two different things)

EDIT: Sorry, my title is a bit silly. If an Admin to change it to Router Question, that would be most helpful
CrAzY_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2008, 22:01   #2
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
Re: Wireless Question

Not sure if this will help so feel free to ignore.

You won't get a static from Virgin so I'm assuming your router is acting as a DHCP server that dishes out IP addresses to anything you attach to your network.

I don't know your particular router but there should be the facility to either switch off the DHCP functionality or , preferably, to reserve a range of IP addressed that can be used by you to assign as a static address. Set up your PC with a static in that range and all should be well. (famous last words...)

I used portforward.com to set up bittorrent and although the instructions stated you should set up a static IP, which I did on my PC, it worked just as well on my laptop with a dynamically assigned IP!!!

The screen grab you've posted looks OK, although if I were you I'd set up some encryption.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote