Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | router will not share cable broadband?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

router will not share cable broadband?

Old 18-03-2008, 23:27   #1
nwhessian
Inactive

nwhessian is an unknown quantity at this point
router will not share cable broadband?

I have spent months trying to get my internet service working correctly through a router and everytime i think ive got it it lets me down again?
The problem i have at the moment is that the router doesnt seem to want to share my virgin media connection, i can get it on my PC thru the ethernet, if i switch off and switch on my laptop i can get it on wireless.
If i have wireless internet, the PC when switched on cant get internet and vice the versa?
I have had it working in the past but even then it was intermittant, but now it doesnt share at all.
In the past i had shared internet but actually sharing files and seeing the other PC didnt work.
I have reset go know how many times, this is also my second router, the first was a netgear, i now have a belkin pre n F5d8230-4 (thought this was supposed to be a goodone?)
As usual with what i have read on the forum, my internet works fine if i directly connect the modem to PC or laptop.
It must be some kind of clashing of the PCs? dunno but i cant just keep buying more routers?
Everyone else i talk to seems to get up and running wireless a piece of cake with standard issue AOL and BT stuff, why is this so hard?
Oh, also i have an NTL 250 modem, if this is to blame i need a good arguement as virgin seem to think its fine and refuse to replace it?
Hope someone has an idea cus im stumped!
Cheers
Neil
nwhessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2008, 23:47   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: router will not share cable broadband?

to Cable Forum

It's unlikely that it is anything to do with the cable modem. That either provides an internet connection, or it doesn't.

I would therefore suspect something odd in your router or network configuration.

Presumably you are setup as modem <> ethernet <> router then wired and wireless to computers.

Are all the computers on the same workgroup? Do they obtain their IP address automatically (not fixed) from the router's DHCP? Do you have current network drivers on your computers both wired and wireless?

If it's just the wireless dropping out try changing the channel being used by the wireless on the router. Do you have any QoS enabled? Is one computer hogging all the bandwidth? Does the router have the current firmware? If you've done lots of fiddling with the router settings maybe a factory reset will get it back to basics. Are there any firewalls running on computers that could be rejecting connections?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 10:10   #3
TechFreak
Inactive

TechFreak is an unknown quantity at this point

Read this in the Digitalspy Forums ..... myself and a few others are having the same problem :

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=764309
TechFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 10:54   #4
Nemeth
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 60mb
Nemeth will become famous soon enoughNemeth will become famous soon enoughNemeth will become famous soon enough

So is the WAN interface on your router being assigned a valid IP address by VM's DHCP servers? Don't see any mention of that in the posts you've linked to.
Nemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 11:14   #5
TechFreak
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeth View Post
So is the WAN interface on your router being assigned a valid IP address by VM's DHCP servers? Don't see any mention of that in the posts you've linked to.
Thanks for the help !

If i connect the Webstar 2100 Modem directly to my LAN Card in the PC that has the registered MAC Address with Virgin Media .....it has an IP address and connects to the internet ok !

If i connect the Webstar 2100 Modem directly to my Netgear WGR614 Router and i check the status page for the Router it definately is spoofing the same MAC address and has the same IP address that was allocated to the VM registered LAN card.

It's almost as if VM have stopped any hardware MAC address spoofing ?
Old 19-03-2008, 11:31   #6
bigboab5
Inactive

Services: V+, Extra Box, XL TV Service, XL Phone Service, 20mb Broadband
bigboab5 is on a distinguished roadbigboab5 is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this will help, but worth a try.

When i got my router, I just could not get on the internet, could see the router from the connected computers, but the router could not see the modem. I spoke to the guy at the shop and he said, that the best idea was to switch off the modem overnight and then try next morning. switching on in this order.... Router.... Modem..... Computers... with a couple of minutes between each switch on as the units settle down. I did this and hey presto... it worked right away. No fiddling about in settings or anything, worked first time. I don't understand why, but it did. The guy in the shop said that in his experience he has had to do this almost every time he connected a router to virgin broadband.
bigboab5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 12:20   #7
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFreak View Post
Thanks for the help !

If i connect the Webstar 2100 Modem directly to my LAN Card in the PC that has the registered MAC Address with Virgin Media .....it has an IP address and connects to the internet ok !

If i connect the Webstar 2100 Modem directly to my Netgear WGR614 Router and i check the status page for the Router it definately is spoofing the same MAC address and has the same IP address that was allocated to the VM registered LAN card.

It's almost as if VM have stopped any hardware MAC address spoofing ?
It is usually best if you don't change your routers MAC address to match your PC's MAC address.

Your IP address from VM is actually assigned to the customer premise equipment (CPE). The UBR has to learn any new MAC addresses via the modem MAC address so try this...
  1. Reset your Wireless routers MAC address to its default original
  2. Power down your modem
  3. Power down your router
  4. Restart your router..wait till the lights are settled
  5. Restart your modem
  6. Wait a few minutes for your modem to communicate with the UBR. At this time the UBR will then see a new client MAC address attached to the registered modem, a new IP address will be assigned
  7. Check your router configuration page for a new public IP address
  8. Test your web connection
  9. If pages do not load, but your router DOES have a public IP address run this command from a dos window. ipconfig /all.
  10. You should have the following information, or similar
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : <anyname>
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-92-00-00
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.168
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 13 March 2008 13:48:13
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 20 March 2008 13:48:13
If you see 0.0.0.0 in the IP address field, then it could be that your router isn't configured to assign IP's dynamically (DHCP configuration).

You will then need to go back into your router configuration page.

However in most cases steps 1-10 usually sorts the problem. Come back to us if this doesn't work, and provide the name of the router.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 14:23   #8
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
If you see 0.0.0.0 in the IP address field, then it could be that your router isn't configured to assign IP's dynamically (DHCP configuration).

You will then need to go back into your router configuration page.
If the IP address is 0.0.0.0 then the OP won't be able to get to the routers Web UI... as it needs an IP to communicate with the Router in the first-place...?
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 18:43   #9
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
If the IP address is 0.0.0.0 then the OP won't be able to get to the routers Web UI... as it needs an IP to communicate with the Router in the first-place...?
Very true.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 20:10   #10
bonfigli
Inactive

bonfigli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, hope someone can help.

I've been using my 2100 Modem via my safecom wireless router for about 6 months now with VM.

I come home yesterday and the laptop connects to the router but wont's let me see the internet, so I disconnect the router and it works fine through the modem on the lan.

After a couple of hours rebooting the router and flashing it, I give in and decide the router has just broke.

So I bought the Belkin F5D7230-4 today and I'm getting the same problem?!

I notice the PC light is continuly flashing on the modem when connected to the router, and the internet light is continuly flashing on the router, but no joy?!?!?!

Sorry for the long winded email, but I'm not clued up on routers and modems and can't figure it out?!

Anyone had simmilar problems?!

Cheers
Bonfigli
bonfigli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 21:23   #11
FlipFlop_uk
Inactive

FlipFlop_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Read this in the Digitalspy Forums ..... myself and a few others are having the same problem :

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=764309
I am having the exact same problems - router seems to be connected ok, all address fields look valid (similar to when modem is directly connected to PC), but getting no access. Tried reseting router to factory defaults, same thing.

Just had my neighbour round complaining about the same thing - we both have Netgear WGR614 routers.

My modem is the SB4100. Something on VM's side has changed the last couple of days...
FlipFlop_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 21:27   #12
scotte
Inactive

scotte is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here,

I've had a wireless setup for years now and never had any issues. However, for some reason, it stopped working yesterday! I would normally switch both my modem and router ( Netgear WGR614) on at the same time then my laptop and all would be sweet. Now I switch them on and although I can get connected to any local machine via the router I cannot get internet access (from any wireless machine). But, If I connect my laptop directly to the modem I do get internet access. I have tried various permitations of powering up the modem, router and machine and can not find any that work. I have also tried a wired connection to my router but I get the same result. The only thing that gets me net access is plugging the ethernet cable from the modem directly into the machine I want to connect to the net with.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 21:47   #13
TechFreak
Inactive

I finally got my Netgear WGR614 working again with the Webstar 2100 modem !!

It turns out i cannot connect through Virgin's DNS Servers using my Netgear Router !

All i did was went to OPENDNS.com which is here :

http://www.opendns.com/

and followed the steps for 'COMPUTER' and 'ROUTER' to change two DNS Server addresses and bingo .....all is working again !!!

Strangely my 20mb connection also appears to be faster !!!

Now should i tell Virgin or not ?? Bastads !
Old 19-03-2008, 21:55   #14
FlipFlop_uk
Inactive

FlipFlop_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I finally got my Netgear WGR614 working again with the Webstar 2100 modem !!

It turns out i cannot connect through Virgin's DNS Servers using my Netgear Router !

All i did was went to OPENDNS.com which is here :

http://www.opendns.com/

and followed the steps for 'COMPUTER' and 'ROUTER' to change two DNS Server addresses and bingo .....all is working again !!!

Strangely my 20mb connection also appears to be faster !!!

Now should i tell Virgin or not ?? Bastads !
Excellent, thanks TechFreak, it's working for me too I wonder what changed to introduce this incompatibility?
FlipFlop_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 08:48   #15
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Maybe VM have changed the IPs of their DNS servers or something - but that still doesn't make sense cos a reboot of modem/router/pc would have solved that I would have thought.

Something has definintely changed, though I can't say I've noticed an issue with my DNS/Internet setup and I use a SurfBoard 4100 and a Linksys WRK54G Router.

Seems to be most prominent (from previous posts) on Netgear routers...

Any VM Engineers out there that have any ideas?
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote